Luke 14: 25-33

  • Thread starter Thread starter spencer2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spencer2

Guest
What is the practical sense of ridding yourself of all your possesions to a diciple of Christ?
I can understand that as a necessity for religous life but what about the average lay person with a spouse and child? I for one enjoy the outdoors which involves hunting and fishing and of course it takes a weapon or a rod to enjoy these activities. Are these considered “possesions” that we must rid ourselves of?
 
Your first duty as a married man is to take care of your wife and child so I would say you aren’t called to give up anything that would put them in dire straights, so to speak.
About the "hobbies"I would think first you should make sure they are really just that - do you have a couple of tackle boxes and a few trusty rods and reels or do you buy the latest new thing from Cabela’s every time you get a catalog? Same with the hunting equipment.
I’m sure some people are able to simplify their lives to an extent that would be astonishing to me but they do it by God’s grace. If you feel convicted about this issue you should spend some time talking to God and discerning his will for your family.
 
To me, this means that we have to be willing to let go of everything, if necessary, to do what we have to do spiritually. Verse 33 (NAB) says “renounce” possessions, which I don’t take to mean actually losing them but being willing to do so as required to follow Christ.

I’ve heard of Spiritual Directors actually telling their directees they have to give up their Rosaries or other religious articles. Obviously these things are not bad, but the attachment to them has to be second to God Himself.

This keeps us from clinging to earthly possessions which can become idols if they take on too much importance.

Alan
 
To me, this means that we have to be willing to let go of everything, if necessary, to do what we have to do spiritually. Verse 33 (NAB) says “renounce” possessions, which I don’t take to mean actually losing them but being willing to do so as required to follow Christ.

I’ve heard of Spiritual Directors actually telling their directees they have to give up their Rosaries or other religious articles. Obviously these things are not bad, but the attachment to them has to be second to God Himself.

This keeps us from clinging to earthly possessions which can become idols if they take on too much importance.
Alan
Very good point, sir! I have felt this way for a long time; more keenly so with the onslaught of consumerism.
God Bless,
Colmcille.🙂
 
What is the practical sense of ridding yourself of all your possesions to a diciple of Christ?
I can understand that as a necessity for religous life but what about the average lay person with a spouse and child? I for one enjoy the outdoors which involves hunting and fishing and of course it takes a weapon or a rod to enjoy these activities. Are these considered “possesions” that we must rid ourselves of?
The key is to give up your attachment to all possessions. Some possessions are necessary to be in this world…I can be grateful that I have the gift of a home, etc but not get attached to it or give it any value as to my status etc. Use the possessions you have for the glory of God…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top