Luke 18:19 No one is good but God alone

  • Thread starter Thread starter moira
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moira

Guest
Last night I was reading Luke and this verse got me to thinking and I can’t come up with anything.
Luke 18:19 "Jesus answered him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.”
Since Jesus is God why would He say this? Any answers out there would be greatly appreciated.
 
I know at glance it seems like Jesus is questioning why they call Him good. However, He is agreeing that He is good, but bringing to their attention that this goodness is from the Father and the good they see in Him is because He is light from light, true God from true God.

He was saying that if people recognize that He is good then they should know that He is God. They should recognize that God is the source of goodness, not man. He was raising people’s minds to recognize the Messiah.

Greg
 
Thanks Greg. Excellent answer. Now I get it! That verse has always made me wonder.
 
Great! I think this can add a bit more insight:

Consider the emphasis of the words.

Why do you call me good? That would be the wrong emphasis.
Rather it would probably be: Why do you call me good?

Remember Jesus asked Peter who people said Jesus was?
The he asked Peter: “Who do you say that I am?”

Now, we’ll put it together:

“Who do you say that I am?”
“Why do you call me good?”

Best,
Greg
 
I think Greg has nailed that pretty well.

There’s the other end of the verse, though. That no one is good except God.

I suppose in the purely logical sense it is true, because only God is God. And, since no one else is God, then no one can be good.

Except for Mary, then “we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” It’s an interesting to think about how alien SIN is from God.
 
40.png
moira:
Last night I was reading Luke and this verse got me to thinking and I can’t come up with anything.
Luke 18:19 "Jesus answered him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.”
Since Jesus is God why would He say this? Any answers out there would be greatly appreciated.
Jesus is actually teaching us to emulate and follow Him in His humility, that despite being God Himself, He reminds us to give all praises and glory to the Father alone.

Gerry 🙂
 
Peace greetings ALL,

The statement was made: "Last night I was reading Luke and this verse got me to thinking and I can’t come up with anything.
Luke 18:19 "Jesus answered him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.”

This passage in context: And a certain ruler asked him, saying, righteous “good”] master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? And Yahshua said unto him, “Why do you call me righteous “good”]? None is righteous “good”], except one, that is, Yahweh”.

The question was asked: "Since Jesus is God why would He say this? Any answers out there would be greatly appreciated

I do not espouse to the doctrine “Jesus is God.” I believe that Yahshua is the Messiah the son of the living Yahweh and not “God”.

I believe that many are confronted with this passage believing and previously being taught that Yahshua is his Father Yahweh (or “Jesus is God.”). and they become puzzled in that this passage contradicts the doctrine “Jesus is God.”

I believe in the context that Yahshua is wanting to answer the ruler in his question “What shall I do to inherit eternal life?” so, Yahshua noteing that the ruler refered to him as “righteous “good”] master” used his reference in calling him "righteous “good”] master to explain to him what one must do to inherit eternal life.

Note that in the context that Yahshua goes on to state to the ruler "You know the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour your father and your mother. Then the ruler replies “All these have I kept from my youth up.”
Now compare the accounts in Mark 10:17… & Luke 18:18… . Make sure you also see Yahshua’s answer to this same question in Luke 10:25… .

I believe the whole point in all these accounts is to explain what one must do to inherit eternal life and not to puzzle someone who has been taught the “Jesus is God.” doctrine. What one must do to inherit eternal life is to follow in Yahshua’s footsteps in obeying the commandment of his and our Father Yahweh.

“Jesus IS God!”?

Father Yahweh’s Teaching (Torah, Law, Instruction)
 
well I think that following up “why do you call me good?” with " but if you wish to be perfect" kinda cinches it. Jesus reveals His divinity here.
 
Hmm - my own thoughts are that this passage is in keeping with the so-called ‘Messianic secret’.

Jesus at numerous points in the Gospels tells people (and demons!) to keep quiet what they know about Him, His miracles, His mission. Part of the reason might have been to avoid raising the ire of the Jews - he didn’t make a frequent habit of being particularly confrontational.

It might be Jesus’ way of saying ‘look, you know I’m God, and I know I’m God, but let’s keep it under our shirts until more of these other slowpokes are ready to believe, eh?’
 
Peace greetings ALL,

The so called “New Testament” records that Yahshua is the Messiah the son of the living Yahweh and never is it recorded that he is “God”.

Note what Yahshua asked in Mattithyah [Matthew] 16:13 - :

When Yahshua came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the son of man am?

Here Yahshua proclaims that he is the son of man.

And they said, Some say that you are Yahchanan the Immerser: some, Yliyah; and others, Yeremyah, or one of the prophets.

Note at this time it is not said that some believed him to be “God”. It is also not recorded in the so called “New Testament” that anytime after this that anyone believed him to be “God”.

He saith unto them, But who do you say that I am?

And Simon Kepha answered and said, You are the Messiah, the son of the living Yahweh.

And Yahshua answered and said unto him, Blessed are you, Simon son of Yahnah: for flesh and blood has not revealed this unto you, but my Father which is in heaven.

Note that Yahshua spoke in the agreement with Kepha and said that he was blessed in saying this, and that it was not flesh and blood that had revealed this to him but, Yahshua’s Father which is in heaven..

Scripture instructs us that we are to live by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of Father Yahweh and that all Scripture is inspired by Father Yahweh. This is in reference to the so called “Old Testament” since, the so called “New Testament” had not yet been compiled at this time. Nowhere in Scripture or the so called “New Testament” are we asked to proclaim, profess or confess “Jesus IS God.” We are only asked to confess that Yahshua is the son of Yahweh.

Whosoever shall confess that Yahshua is the Son of Yahweh, Yahweh dwells in him, and he in Yahweh (1 Yahchanan [John] 4:15).

“Jesus IS God!”?

Did Yahshua Create The Heavens And The Earth?
 
Nowhere in Scripture or the so called “New Testament” are we asked to proclaim, profess or confess “Jesus IS God.” We are only asked to confess that Yahshua is the son of Yahweh.

Whosoever shall confess that Yahshua is the Son of Yahweh, Yahweh dwells in him, and he in Yahweh (1 Yahchanan [John] 4:15).

“Jesus IS God!”?

Did Yahshua Create The Heavens And The Earth?
‘At the name of Jesus EVERY knee will bow, in the heavens, on the earth and under the earth’. Philippians 2:12.

If Jesus in fact is NOT God then this means scripture is commanding idolatry at this point - the worship of one not God in a manner due only to God. Surely it is only for the Divine Name that ALL creatures are to bow? And that name is Jesus (or Yashua since you will insist). 🤷
 
‘At the name of Jesus EVERY knee will bow, in the heavens, on the earth and under the earth’. Philippians 2:12.

If Jesus in fact is NOT God then this means scripture is commanding idolatry at this point - the worship of one not God in a manner due only to God. Surely it is only for the Divine Name that ALL creatures are to bow? And that name is Jesus (or Yashua since you will insist). 🤷
Certainly Yahshua is worthy of ‘worship’ but, not as our Heavenly Father and Creator or as a mere “God”.

Word Studies On Worship
(shachah, latreuo, and proskuneo)
 
Certainly Yahshua is worthy of ‘worship’ but, not as our Heavenly Father and Creator or as a mere “God”.

Word Studies On Worship
(shachah, latreuo, and proskuneo)
No-one and nothing is worthy of every knee in heaven, earth and the underworld bending at their name except the One True God, who IS Yahweh and IS Jesus.

‘Who sees Me sees the Father’, as Yashua said. ‘The Father and I are ONE’ as He also said. ‘Before Abraham was, I AM’ (not ‘the Father is’, but I AM - teh very name Yahweh gave to Moses to call Him by).

The Sanhedrin who tried Jesus understood very well and correctly that He was claiming to be the One True God - not any different or inferior being. Hence their charge against Him was one of blasphemy and not of idolatry.
 
Benadam;4745084:
Benadam,

I can not make a bit of sense of anything that you have said here.🤷
Believe it or not within the text I wrote is a reference to a revelation of Jesus about Himself. He reveals himself in the way He reveals John the Baptist. He (jesus) is not generated by Adam ( not of this generation) when He implied He(Jesus) is not born of woman. Unless you argue that He was revealing that John the Baptist was greater than Himself. John the Baptist taught otherwise.
 
At first you might think Jesus is denying he is good. What Jesus is saying is that he complements him for recognizing he (Jesus) is good. He (Jesus)is not denying he is good. He is congratulating him for recognizing him for who he really is- God in the flesh.

Remember you can be mentored by our Paraclete- the Holy Spirit. Just ask him.
 
I know at glance it seems like Jesus is questioning why they call Him good. However, He is agreeing that He is good, but bringing to their attention that this goodness is from the Father and the good they see in Him is because He is light from light, true God from true God.

He was saying that if people recognize that He is good then they should know that He is God. They should recognize that God is the source of goodness, not man. He was raising people’s minds to recognize the Messiah.

Greg
I picked at random the question, and before answering it I realized that, essentially, Greg McPherran’s answer is correct. That was my answer! The moral is: Don’t call anyone “Good” lest you are willing to call Him God! For there is no such thing as “good human”! Greg has saved my time since my dissertation precludes any major discussion.
 
When I was a Protestant, I took this as Jesus ensuring the person he understood what he was saying. Jesus was saying, “You call be good. Only God is good. Therefore, if you call me good, you’re calling me God. Is that what you mean?”

Remember, the person asking the question was under the illusion that he was good because he was following the Law, (or thought he was).
 
I picked at random the question, and before answering it I realized that, essentially, Greg McPherran’s answer is correct. That was my answer! The moral is: Don’t call anyone “Good” lest you are willing to call Him God! For there is no such thing as “good human”! Greg has saved my time since my dissertation precludes any major discussion.
Oh, but it is fine to call someone “righteous”? Seems to be some contradiction here in accordance with what Scripture teaches. I believe that there is such a thing as righteous (“good”) men in the world. I most certainly would not call them “God”.

There are many like passages of Scripture in accordance with the teaching of the Scriptural passages that follow:

The steps of a good man are ordered by Yahweh: and he delights in His way (Psalm 37:23).

But the men were very good unto us, and we were not hurt, neither missed we any thing, as long as we were conversant with them, when we were in the fields: … (1Samuyah 25:15).

If there be a controversy between men, and they come unto judgment, that the judges may judge them; then they shall justify the righteous, and condemn the wicked (Deuteronomy 25:1).

How much more, when wicked men have slain a righteous person in his own house upon his bed? shall I not therefore now require his blood of your hand, and take you away from the earth? (2 Samuyah 4:11)

That you may walk in the way of good men, and keep the paths of the righteous (Proverb 2:20).

The wicked desire the net of evil men: but the root of the righteous yields fruit (Proverb 12:12).

When righteous men do rejoice, there is great esteem: but when the wicked rise, a man is hidden (Proverb 28:12).

The righteous perish, and no man lays it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come (Isayah 57:1).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top