Lutheran Apostolic Succession?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stylteralmaldo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Luther broke that line of succession when he excommunicated himself.
Excommunication doesn’t affect the power conferred by the Holy Orders, only their licit practice. An excommunicated bishop can still ordain others validly, just not licitly, just as an excommunicated priest can still confect the Eucharist validly, just not licitly.

Jeremy
 
Yeah, I figured. But since I don’t subscribe to the Rock…

I don’t mean copy the answer; that wouldn’t be right. Just the basics. Does the Catholic Church recognize valid Apostolic Succession for these Nordic Lutherans or not?
No, the Church does not recognize valid Apostolic Succession for Lutherans or any Protestants. This is because Protestants themselves reject the priesthood itself…I believe Martin Luther himself said that all baptized Christians are their own priest, bishop, pope, etc. This view is incompatible with the Catholic (or Orthodox) view of the priesthood.
 
Yes, I think it creates a real problem. There was a problem, from the Catholic viewpoint, regarding Anglican orders prior to Anglicans ordaining women. That problem got much worse and harder to solve with women’s ordination (bear in mind thought that not all Anglican Churches recognize the validity of ordaining women).
I thought Anglicans lost there valid orders when they stoped teaching on the real presence etc…
 
I thought Anglicans lost there valid orders when they stoped teaching on the real presence etc…
No they lost it when they changed to ordination rite. It is because of a denial of the real presence that they changed the ordination rite, but it is the change of the ordination rite that caused apostolic succession to cease.
 
No, the Church does not recognize valid Apostolic Succession for Lutherans or any Protestants. This is because Protestants themselves reject the priesthood itself…I believe Martin Luther himself said that all baptized Christians are their own priest, bishop, pope, etc. This view is incompatible with the Catholic (or Orthodox) view of the priesthood.
I understand that this is the general rule from the Catholic perspective. The question at hand is whether some of the Scandanavian Lutheran Churches are exceptions to this rule.
 
Yeah, I figured. But since I don’t subscribe to the Rock…

I don’t mean copy the answer; that wouldn’t be right. Just the basics. Does the Catholic Church recognize valid Apostolic Succession for these Nordic Lutherans or not?
Sorry, it was a dumb joke…

I don’t have it so all I could do was make a silly joke, maybe someone could give a better answer than me.

God Bless
Scylla
 
The latest issue of The Catholic Answer has a Q&A on page 19 on this very subject.
Thanks for the information. I happen to have that magazine. The answer seemed to indicate that although the Anglican orders were explicitly denied as being valid by the Pope, that as a result of the papal proclamation, the Lutheran succession is denied as well at least implicity.

What wasn’t clear from the answer was why succession was implicitly denied.

The answer seemed to suggest that it was because the Scandinavian lines came through the Anglican lines, and therefore are invalid. However, it might be because the ordination process itself was invalid (as was the case for the Anglican orders).

If anyone can give further insight, it would be appreciated.

Thanks all! 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top