J
jimkhong
Guest
Execellent points from Jon and Grace. I have always found Jon’s views to be well balanced and his understanding of Catholic positions in many areas could well exceed mine.Hi Jon,
Yes, Christ’s true and substantial body and blood are present in a Lutheran Eucharist.
Grace was asking for the Catholic view. And the Catholic view is that Lutherans do not have valid orders and therefore do not have a valid eucharist. Should you not have written that you are a Lutheran and that you are expressing the Lutheran point of view?
Verbum
Verbum’s answer is technically correct and usually satisfy Catholic inqueries in this matter. There was a time when lay-people’s role in the Church is to accept the formulation in Canon Law/etc and not query them. And saying that Protestant orders are not valid usually terminates that line of inquiry as for most lay Catholics, anything stemming from something invalid would be invalid. And, that confirms their understanding that all Protestant actions are invalid. But Grace is not Catholic - not yet, anyway.
The theological position is of course more nuanced than that. If the validity of Lutheran orders trumped anything else, then all doctrinal discussions will have to deal with that issue before anything else: there is no point talking about Lutheran sacraments if you don’t sort out the validity of the orders which performs those sacraments. The reality is that the discussions ddi not proceed like that.
(Jon can correct me here). Lutherans do accept the Real Presence but did attempt to differentiate their position from the Catholic position. That is how we ended up with concepts like consubstantiation as opposed to the Catholic transubstantiation. Consubstantiation is not part of the Lutheran theology today and I am not exactly sure why. I am sure there are some theological technical reason but as I understand it today, Lutherans prefer to leave it as a more mystical understand that is moved by faith (I am not sure if I have worded it correctly but most Catholics would just simply call it vague).
I am not suggesting that there is no difference between Catholic and Lutheran understanding of the Real Presence. I am just not sure if there is sufficient common language for us, non-theologians, to differentiate them without using polemics.
Reasons for the difference
This is similar to the Orthodox position (Lutherans did have theological exchanges with Orthodox early in their history but the Orthodox concluded there wasn’t sufficient commonality of doctrines to mutualy recognise orders & sacraments - I would like to think that this had an influence on Lutheran thinking).
One way Western Catholicism differs from Eastern Orthodoxy is that Western Catholicism tends (note the word: there will always be exceptions and there are no absolutes here) to be juridical in these types of matters - meaning that doctrines are defined to answer every question, every situation and every exception. So, Western Catholicism has a unitary body of doctrines which everyone can use irrespective of their culture and situation but it does get very complicated & can be legalistic in language.
Eastern Orthodoxy (and I understand Lutheran thinking on the Real Presence) have a very simple statement of faith and leaves it to the Holy Spirit to inform the individual Christian based on his/her culture, understanding and situation. From Western Catholic perspective, this is frustratingly vague and open to misinterpretation & abuse.
In short, at the risk of oversimplification: to understand Catholic concepts of Real Presence, you need to read Catholic catechism. To understand Lutheran (and Orthodox) concepts of Real Presence, you need faith.