Luther's 95 Theses

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jennie1964
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d be surprised if there are any histories of the reformation that don’t mention Calvin, Zwingli or Cranmer!
I’m just talking about general history. The first time I ever HEARD of the Reformation was in my 11th grade Western Civ. class. Marty was mentioned, and Hank was mentioned, and that was it. There was also another brief treatment of the Reformation during one of my college history classes. Not a TON of detail there, either. I am sure that if I really wanted to pursue it, I could have learned more; but I wasn’t very interested at the time. I was Catholic and what could any of that have to do with me, right? 🤷

I grew up in a very Catholic area, and had no idea what the differences were between my Church and anyone else’s…, and since most of my friends were Catholic or not religious; there was never a need to learn about anyone else.

I seem to be learning a little more now, though…
 
I’d be surprised if there are any histories of the reformation that don’t mention Calvin, Zwingli or Cranmer!
Don’t forget Bucer, who worked great lengths at trying to reconcile Luther and the other reformers that followed. He did not like the fragmentation and anarchistic dissension that was developing.
 
Thank you all for your replies. I still have sooooo much to learn. Whichever of you said that once I understand the argument of authority and interpretation, I will know what I believe, I think you are right. It really does come down to both those two things, doesn’t it? It’s really just all that simple. I still have a horror of “going wrong” because this is my soul we’re talking about here, and I’ve taken that very seriously since a came to a saving knowledge at the age of 14 after becoming suicidal.

As for Henry VIII and Anglicanism, well I grew up Anglican. Strangely enough it’s pretty close to Catholicism in its practice, although the theology is decidedly Protestant. From what I remember, Luther’s protest had easily reached the ears of England for some years before Henry pulled his little trick. I think he was just looking for an opportunity to “do his own thing and get his own way”, and this religious protest proved a great excuse for him. He was not a king anyone really admired. He was certainly not a man of any moral standard, that’s for sure. The others involved in the birth of the Anglican church were far more serious about their theology.

I was under the impression, and I think somebody mentioned it here as well, that Luther didn’t want to originally leave the Church, but because he persisted in the protest, they Church excommunicated him. Is that correct? Was it just his hard headedness that caused the rift in the end?
 
Don’t forget Bucer, who worked great lengths at trying to reconcile Luther and the other reformers that followed. He did not like the fragmentation and anarchistic dissension that was developing.
Bucer would probably tear his hair out today! 😛
 
Thank you all for your replies. I still have sooooo much to learn. Whichever of you said that once I understand the argument of authority and interpretation, I will know what I believe, I think you are right. It really does come down to both those two things, doesn’t it? It’s really just all that simple.
Thank you for saying so. I think we as humans make so many things far more complicated than they have to be. There is ALOT to learn about Catholicism, and it’s a lifelong journey whether you start as a baptized infant or later in life. That’s why we’re God’s “Pilgrim Church on Earth”. We are ALL pilgrims on our way (hopefully!!!) to Heaven, and the paths are as numerous and different as the men and women on those journeys.
I still have a horror of “going wrong” because this is my soul we’re talking about here, and I’ve taken that very seriously since a came to a saving knowledge at the age of 14 after becoming suicidal.
This will be the most important decision you will ever make, so you are right to be very cautious indeed. I strenuously reccomend prayer, and perhaps speaking to a priest about your questions. I can tell you that a VERY knowledgeable priest made the difference in my formerly Penecostal wife joining God’s Church last year. She had all kinds of questions, and he had the answers. He is far too humble to ever say this, but I found him to be a theological titan. I have been Catholic my entire life; and I went to every one of my wife’s RCIA classes because he was that good.

That being said, I suggest you find a priest and just talk to him. You may want to call the parish and make an appointment, since I bet you have a million questions; and the answers will take some time to explain. A local parish priest would be fine, or maybe even a priest teaching at your nearest seminary.

May God be with you on your journey.
 
Hmm… How come the history books never talk about those guys? 🤷 I suppose the origins of the Reformation and the “major players” probably fill numerous volumes already; and that would turn a history class into a theology class.
History books are like the internet. You have to go through them and examine their sources in order to determine which ones you want to take seriously.

This period of history ~1,200 — ~1,600 is incredibly full of history and all the events are intertwined with another and/or they ignite a chain of events that leads to another chain of events. It is very voluminous and fascinating and sad.

Here are some links that can get you started on more:

Fordham University

From CAF:
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=407984
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=279595

Book:
The Reformation by Diarmaid MacCulloch

Happy reading! 🙂
 
History books are like the internet. You have to go through them and examine their sources in order to determine which ones you want to take seriously. 🙂
Thanks for the links. In 11th grade and in college I really didn’t have alot of say in what textbooks we were going to use. I’m still trying to get a good grasp on CATHOLICISM, but I’ll check out those links as well.

Thank you again.
 
Thanks for the links. In 11th grade and in college I really didn’t have alot of say in what textbooks we were going to use. I’m still trying to get a good grasp on CATHOLICISM, but I’ll check out those links as well.

Thank you again.
:tiphat:
 
No, there were many more players.

Actually, Wycliffe and Hus precede them both.

Erasmus, Beza, Bucer, Bullinger, Calvin, Cranmer, Cromwell, Latimer, Knox, Melanchton, Tyndale, Zwingli… I may have forgotten some… But those should suffice.

And even before that in France during the Western (Papal) Schism there were others. I think this schism started up Wycliffe, Hus and the others that followed.

I did not include all the political players that took part in this…
Wycliffe was English, he was the first one to attempt to translate the Bible into the English language but what got him in trouble was that he taught that the Eucharist was only symbolic
 
History books are like the internet. You have to go through them and examine their sources in order to determine which ones you want to take seriously.

This period of history ~1,200 — ~1,600 is incredibly full of history and all the events are intertwined with another and/or they ignite a chain of events that leads to another chain of events. It is very voluminous and fascinating and sad.

Here are some links that can get you started on more:

Fordham University

From CAF:
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=407984
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=279595

Book:
The Reformation by Diarmaid MacCulloch

Happy reading! 🙂
Wow, the Fordham website is great. Glad you’ve let us know about that.

Can’t recommend MacCulloch’s book enough. I don’t agree with his personal and theological views, but he’s quite simply the best historian of the reformation out there at the moment in terms of both research and writing.
 
Possibly over-simplified? Maybe. My opinion? Definately. I am not a theologian, and don’t even play on on TV; but every single thing I have ever read, seen, or heard about the Reformation have either Henry VIII or Luther as the protagonists.

Sorry about that. Would you care to enlighten me about WHY Henry VIII REALLY left the Catholic Church?

How so? Weren’t Luther and Henry VIII the “first reformers”? Don’t all of the mainline Protestant churches spring from them?

Thanks for the book suggestion. I’ll read it when I get the chance.
Henry the VIII very much resisted the earliest reformers which include John Calvin and Zwigli. He only broke away when the Pope would not annul his first marriage so he could marry his pregnant mistress Ann B. You make a very simplistic lumping of what happen in the reformation.
 
Henry the VIII very much resisted the earliest reformers which include John Calvin and Zwigli.
Oh… That must be why the pope used to call Henry “Defender of the Faith”.
He only broke away when the Pope would not annul his first marriage so he could marry his pregnant mistress Ann B.
Isn’t that kind of what I said? He wanted an annulment and the pope wouldn’t give him one?
You make a very simplistic lumping of what happen in the reformation.
Is it (the Henry thing) more complicated than that? If so; how? I am eager to learn. If I am in error, mistaken, or just plain wrong; give me the correct answers so I won’t be wrong the next time.

Thank you.
 
Oh… That must be why the pope used to call Henry “Defender of the Faith”.

Isn’t that kind of what I said? He wanted an annulment and the pope wouldn’t give him one?

Is it (the Henry thing) more complicated than that? If so; how? I am eager to learn. If I am in error, mistaken, or just plain wrong; give me the correct answers so I won’t be wrong the next time.

Thank you.
i am speaking of the whole reformation, not just Henry or Luther.
 
Wow, the Fordham website is great. Glad you’ve let us know about that.
You are welcome! Yes, they have great resources!
Can’t recommend MacCulloch’s book enough. I don’t agree with his personal and theological views, but he’s quite simply the best historian of the reformation out there at the moment in terms of both research and writing.
I completely agree with you :eek:. 😃
 
Wycliffe was English, he was the first one to attempt to translate the Bible into the English language but what got him in trouble was that he taught that the Eucharist was only symbolic
Actually, if I remember correctly, the Venerable Bede was the first one to translate individual books of the Bible into English - I think he was working on translating the Gospel of John at the time of his death.

🤓

But Wycliffe was the first one for the whole Bible. I think.
 
Oh… That must be why the pope used to call Henry “Defender of the Faith”.
Correct. Though Henry would later deny all the sacraments except Baptism and Holy Communion, he, along with his friend Thomas More (whom Henry would later have executed for remaining loyal to the Pope), penned Assertio Septem Sacramentorum (A Defense of the Seven Sacraments) in 1519, as a response to Luther and Zwingli’s attacks on the Sacraments. For this, he was awarded the title Fidei Defensor (Defender of the Faith) by the Pope.
 
Hi rf,
Where I get MY skivvies in a twist is that rather than REFORM the Church; Luther left it. Lutherans see Lutheranism as a continuation of the Church; rather than having abandoned it. In response to this; the Church DID reform, and cleaned itself up. This is known as the COUNTER-Reformation. (I like to say that the Reformation is the biggest wake-up call in the history of the world).

However, there were doctrinal changes that Luther made in addition to his “reforms”; and this is where the Church and Protestantism collide. The Church will never compromise with Protestant theology regarding Purgatory, intercessatory prayer, the primacy of the Bishop of Rome, transubstantiation, Sacred Tradition, or the 73-book Bible. That’s just the way it is.
In my book, if Luther had wanted to ‘reform’ the Church, and be considered an actual ‘reformer’, then he should not have left it. While he was right to rebuke the Church for abuses in matters of practice, it didn’t take him long at all to ‘transform’ his efforts into an assault on doctrine. In fact, the complaints about abuses in no way automatically lead to the desire to transform the doctrines of the Church. Yet before he was officially excommunicated from the Church he had refuted more than 4 dozen important doctrines of the Church. Luther was not a ‘reformer’. In fact, it was just a few months after his 95 Theses that he had already decided that he was going to fight the Church tooth and nail.

I posted this quote not too long ago on another thread, and while I generally don’t like to ‘double post’ quotes, this one definatily belongs on this thread because it reveals Luther‘s intent to

“Some time during the early spring of 1518 Luther had received a letter from his former professor of philosophy at the University of Erfurt, Jodocus Trutfetter, a man whom he deeply respected and who had expected great service to the Church from so able a mind and so strong a personality as Luther. Now Professor Trutfetter solemnly warned his former student against the path he was taking, urging him to turn back before it was too late. On May 9 Luther replied: ‘To speak plainly, my firm belief is that the reform of the Church is impossible unless the ecclesiastical laws, the papal regulations, scholastic theology, philosophy and logic as the at present exist, are thoroughly uprooted.’ Such uprooting, he said, had now become his fixed purpose, ‘a resolution from which neither your authority, although it is certainly of the greatest weight for me, much less than that of any others, can turn me aside.’ Martin Luther, (Carrol quoting Fife, ‘Revolt of Martin Luther’, pg. 267)

This is one of the most important of the thousands of letters Luther wrote in his long, full lifetime. It reveals that as early as May 1518 he was essentially committed to the destruction of the Church as he knew it, though he had not yet proceeded to total public defiance of all Church authority. It shows his revolutionary temper, his purpose to ‘uproot’ rather than simply to reform, which is the goal of every revolutionary. It provides our first evidence that the upheaval to come was rightly to be called a revolt or a revolution, not a ‘reformation’. It also shows Luther in the act of coldly and deliberately breaking a bond whose quality and strength only the dedicated teacher and his former student know: the love and loyalty that emanate from their memories of each other.

Luther wrote this letter just before completing his defense in Latin of his position on indulgences. He sent a copy to the Pope with a cover letter, later printed with is as a preface. IN the preface he says that he ‘cannot recant’ from his position on indulgences, yet still insists on his willingness to listen to Leo X ‘as the ‘Voice of Christ’, who presides in him and speaks through him…….enliven me, kill me, call me back, confirm me, reject me, just as it pleases you’……despite the fact that in the text itself, sent with this letter, he had flatly and insultingly declared: ‘I do not care what pleases or displeases the Pope. He is just a man like other men. There have been many Popes inclined to errors, vices, and even very strange things.’

………In early July Luther was summoned to appear at Rome for trial within sixty days. He responded with his characteristic defiance, declaring that he would not accept excommunication if the Church decreed it for him. On July 25 he reiterated that defiance, along with references to ‘eternal predestination,’ in another sermon before Duke George of Saxony and his court. Shouting matches broke out afterward between Luther and professors defending scholastic theology. Undoubtedly the entire academic brawl deepened Duke George’s concern about the damage Luther was already doing and much greater damage he was capable of doing.” William H. Carroll, “The Cleaving of Christendom’, pg. 7-8

A year before the 7 day long Leipzig Debate with Eck, and 5 months before his ‘interview’ with Cardinal Cajetan, and a full 2 and a half years before he was excommunicated, Luther stated that he wanted to uproot the ‘ecclesiastical laws, the papal regulations, scholastic theology, philosophy and logic as they at present exist’. To uproot all of these things would be to destroy the Church, which was exactly what Luther had in mind. This mid 1518 letter reveals Luther’s real intentions, which was not ‘reform’ but destruction of the Church.

To describe Luther as a ‘reformer’ is to do a great disservice to the people in Catholic History who actually DID selflessly work to make the Church better.

God Bless You rf, Topper
 
Actually, if I remember correctly, the Venerable Bede was the first one to translate individual books of the Bible into English - I think he was working on translating the Gospel of John at the time of his death.

🤓

But Wycliffe was the first one for the whole Bible. I think.
i believe so, althought the KJV 1611 is based more on Tyndall’s translation than what Wycliffe did. There is an evangelical missionary society called Wycliffe which send missionaries around the world to translate the Bible in native languages in honor of Wycliffe’s attempts. When i was still Protestant, I was told that translating the Bible into English is what got him jailed. After becoming Catholic, I learned the rest of the story which was he taught the Eucharist was only symbolic and nothing more. and it was teaching this heresy that landed him in jail.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top