Madame Secretary ~ Confirmation vote

• Thread starter Thread starter mommy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mommy

Dr. Condoleeza Rice will be our first Black Female Secretary of State!

The 85-13 roll call by which the Senate voted to confirm the nomination of Condoleezza Rice as secretary of state. Following are the No Votes, as the whole list was too long to post.

CA
**Boxer (D) No **

Hawaii
Akaka (D) No;

Illinois
Durbin (D) No;

Indiana
Bayh (D) No;
Code:
Iowa
Harkin (D) No.

Louisiana
Landrieu (D) Yes;

Massachusetts
Kennedy (D) No; Kerry (D) No.

Michigan
Levin (D) No;

Minnesota
Dayton (D) No.

NJ
Lautenberg (D) No

Rhode Island**
Reed (D) No.**

Vermont
Jeffords (I) No;

West Virginia**
Byrd (D) No**

It bothers me to no end that I live in such a democrat state…Illinois.

40.png
TPJCatholic:
I feel your pain!!!

40.png
mommy:
Getting kind of specific aren’t we? I can’t wait for our first male 1/8 German, 1/4 Polish, 1/4 Cherokee, 3/8 Korean Secretary of Housing & Urban Development!

40.png
mommy:

The 85-13 roll call by which the Senate voted to confirm the nomination of Condoleezza Rice as secretary of state. Following are the No Votes, as the whole list was too long to post.

CA
**Boxer (D) No **

Hawaii
Akaka (D) No;

Illinois
Durbin (D) No;

Indiana
Bayh (D) No;

Iowa
Harkin (D) No.

Louisiana
Landrieu (D) Yes;

Massachusetts

Michigan
Levin (D) No;

Minnesota
Dayton (D) No.

NJ
Lautenberg (D) No

Rhode Island
Reed (D) No.

Vermont
Jeffords (I) No;

West Virginia
Byrd (D) No
Who is up for reelection in ’ 06?? Most assuredly, some of these dimwits will be shown the door. Dayton for sure. Maybe Lautenburg?? Jeffords was elected by republican machinery, and then he betrayed his supporters. KKK Byrd is up there in years. Bayh voted no??? Hmmm. Red state dem. Maybe he’s safe…

40.png
Timidity:
Getting kind of specific aren’t we? I can’t wait for our first male 1/8 German, 1/4 Polish, 1/4 Cherokee, 3/8 Korean Secretary of Housing & Urban Development!
I wouldn’t go that far obviously:rolleyes: But I do find the breakthough for both women and minorities in these kinds of positions a great thing. When there are constant reminders of where we fall short in racism, I think it’s worthwhile to point out when something great happens.
TPJCatholic}:
Yes I believe we do!! How many more years of Durbin, Blago??

mommy,

Blago is a one termer imo.

Durbin seems to be well liked by the masses of Catholics in the state…even though he so often stands against Church teachings. He can afford to laugh at the Church, his own Catholic constituency does not hold him accountable.

40.png
mommy:
But I do find the breakthough for both women and minorities in these kinds of positions a great thing.
Fair enough, but she is neither the first woman nor the first black to be Secretary of State, so combining them seems silly to me. YMMV, of course.

Interestingly enough, Senator Clinton didn’t vote “no”.

Who were the two non-voting seats?

40.png
Timidity:

Montana

Burns (R) Not Voting

New Hampshire

Gregg (R) Not Voting

40.png
TPJCatholic:
mommy,

Durbin seems to be well liked by the masses of Catholics in the state…even though he so often stands against Church teachings. He can afford to laugh at the Church, his own Catholic constituency does not hold him accountable.
Definately. I find all his new “fees” to be quite extensive, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg with him.Although I wonder about his future aspirations. The Dems may have caught on that Senators don’t do well in presidential politics of late. They may go looking for a gulp governor. I can’t think he’d be a good one AT ALL.

I don’t know if they’re supossed to do it or not, but our priest mentioned Durbin by name, and pointed out his pro-choice stance and then proceeded to explain how that was contrary to Catholic teaching. I loved it.

40.png
Timidity:

I believe Hillary is once again working on presenting a new version of Hillary to the public.

mommy,

Yeah, Durbin would make a horrible President. Heck, he makes a horrible senator.

In regard to the 85-13 vote; why are there 14 names on the NO list? Just curious. :confused:
So far as the list, there are a good number I have nothing in common with. :cool:

Kotton

40.png
TPJCatholic:
I have called Durbin’s office more than once to complain. I will do it again. He is not very honorable.

40.png
TPJCatholic:
mommy,

Actually he moved to Chicago and was not welcome back in his original parish. There was trouble downstate when he pulled the liberal nonsense.

40.png
Fitz:
Actually he moved to Chicago and was not welcome back in his original parish. There was trouble downstate when he pulled the liberal nonsense.
Even Carol M Braun voted for Dr Rice.

40.png
mommy:

CA
**Boxer (D) No **

Hawaii
Akaka (D) No;

Illinois
Durbin (D) No;

Indiana
Bayh (D) No;

Iowa
Harkin (D) No.

Louisiana
Landrieu (D) Yes;

Massachusetts

Michigan
Levin (D) No;

Minnesota
Dayton (D) No.

NJ
Lautenberg (D) No

Rhode Island
Reed (D) No.

Vermont
Jeffords (I) No;

West Virginia
Byrd (D) No
Doctor Rice is great!!! Well qualified, and yes: like ME=a Conservative Republican= AMEN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back