A
ahs
Guest
I’m in a debate with a person who believes that we have no immortal soul, in part because the promise of immortality was the promise of the serpant who lied (who also is not Satan, so the argument goes). There is also an attempt to divorce “spirit” from “soul”, an argument that a resurrection is obsolete if the soul is alerady immortal, etc…
I asked the question of how any of the reasons given negate the fact that we are “created in the image and likeness of God” and that “God is spirit”. The person said *, “we are created in the image of ‘elohim’, which means ‘angels’, not ‘God’, which is an English word the translators used.”
Anyone run across such an argument? The person has not identified their faith, but it sounds like Unitarian or JW. Thoughts?
I can provide more details of the back-and-forth if needed.*
I asked the question of how any of the reasons given negate the fact that we are “created in the image and likeness of God” and that “God is spirit”. The person said *, “we are created in the image of ‘elohim’, which means ‘angels’, not ‘God’, which is an English word the translators used.”
Anyone run across such an argument? The person has not identified their faith, but it sounds like Unitarian or JW. Thoughts?
I can provide more details of the back-and-forth if needed.*