Magazine Recommendations?

  • Thread starter Thread starter boatofcar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boatofcar

Guest
I was hoping there would be some folks on here that could recommend some good magazines? Magazines I currently subscribe to and enjoy are First Things and The Economist. What I’d like to find is a magazine the quality of First Things, but leaning more towards the left (just to get both perspectives). I subscribed to America for a number of years, but I found it to be too airy, with only a few articles of substance each issue. I’m also interested in any periodicals devoted to canon law and liturgy. Also, feel free to just plug your favorite magazine too if you want 🙂 Thanks for your help!
 
I used to subscribe to Outside, and loved it. I don’t know if that’s the type you’re looking for, but it had some excellent in-depth articles. Obviously, it tilted left with its emphasis on environmental issues as the backdrop to exciting adventures hiking/climbing/trekking in exotic locations.

I also enjoyed Science News when we subscribed.

Nowadays, the only print medium I regularly read is our local daily newspaper (which, ironically, my wife and I subscribed to after the digital revolution hit the news media), so I don’t have any other magazine recommendations.
 
I was hoping there would be some folks on here that could recommend some good magazines? Magazines I currently subscribe to and enjoy are First Things and The Economist. What I’d like to find is a magazine the quality of First Things, but leaning more towards the left (just to get both perspectives). I subscribed to America for a number of years, but I found it to be too airy, with only a few articles of substance each issue. I’m also interested in any periodicals devoted to canon law and liturgy. Also, feel free to just plug your favorite magazine too if you want 🙂 Thanks for your help!
I love the magazine put out by Catholic Answers, "titled, “Catholic Answers” Formally called. “The Rock.” I used to pick it up at Church but then I decided to get my own subscription and let someone else have the ones at Church. God Bless, Memaw
 
My wife subscribes to Foreign Policy, and I’ll peruse the issues to see what types of arguments are being made.
 
I don’t think it’s quite what you’re looking for, OP, but for anyone else interested in bioethics, the Human Life Review is excellent. It includes well-written, really thought-provoking articles on any topic pertaining to matters affecting human life (abortion, euthanasia, surrogacy, etc). But it does so from a mostly conservatve perspective.
 
I was hoping there would be some folks on here that could recommend some good magazines? Magazines I currently subscribe to and enjoy are First Things and The Economist. What I’d like to find is a magazine the quality of First Things, but leaning more towards the left (just to get both perspectives). I subscribed to America for a number of years, but I found it to be too airy, with only a few articles of substance each issue. I’m also interested in any periodicals devoted to canon law and liturgy. Also, feel free to just plug your favorite magazine too if you want 🙂 Thanks for your help!
If you’re looking for a left-leaning Catholic magazine, America, Commonweal, and National Catholic Reporter are the three big ones. If you’ve found America to be wanting, you might check out the other two.

I wouldn’t normally recommend any of the three, but if you’re reading First Things, I think that will balance you out just fine. 😉
 
If you’re looking for a left-leaning Catholic magazine, America, Commonweal, and National Catholic Reporter are the three big ones. If you’ve found America to be wanting, you might check out the other two.

I wouldn’t normally recommend any of the three. 😉
I wouldn’t waste my money on any of those 3!! God Bless, Memaw
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top