Okay, confession time… we love our fashion mags. Not the trash, either, but Elle, Town and Country, W, Harper’s Bazaar, maybe Jane, possibly Nylon. Classy, or as much as it gets (pretty considerable, actually).
The only rags we’re currently
subscribed to (as opposed to picking up whenever) are Giant Robot, a Pacific Rim haute-pop-culture magazine, McSweeney’s Quarterly Concern/The Believer (which I can highly recommend to all you lit-snobs out there, yes, you know who you are), and, regrettably, Inside the Vatican as a two-years-in-a-row Christmas present from family. I say regrettably because they seem to have sold or given our address to every moneygrubbing mailing list with ‘Catholic’ in the name. I’ve gotten pleas for cash from dioceses and monastic orders around the globe, letters from a certain Catholic politician who tried to run for president telling me that since I’m
such a good Catholic and would do
anything to make abortion illegal and absolutely
quiver at the thought of gay marriage (I do, but probably not in the way he thought) that of course I’d vote for him and send him piles of money. Yeah, if I’d had a spare brick lying around, guess what
he’d have been paying postage for.
I’ve even gotten a couple from Catholic Answers. I remember on one I just enclosed a message saying ‘give my love to the CAF mods!’ in the business reply envelope
Other than that, we occasionally pick up the Fortean Times, various punk zines (been a while on those, though… should get back into it), Analog, Asimov’s, other things of that sort, and when it was still in circulation, the Weekly World News. Quite a varied list really. I got one free issue of Homiletic and Pastoral Review once (the only plus side I can think of to Inside the Vatican’s loose grip on its subscriber list). I wouldn’t mind getting that every month.