Making the internet a better place for children

  • Thread starter Thread starter FaithRuir
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FaithRuir

Guest
More and more kids are coming online than ever

However, that opens the obvious risk of being exposed to bad content.
Obviously, parents are responsible for ensuring their impressionable children don’t look at anything objectionable online, but other users have an obligation for that too, most sites have reporting mechanisms to eliminate sexual / hateful/ offensive content. There are also moderators that also help.

But if we aren’t directly responsible for the children who go on the site, just how far do we go?

I stopped attending some online things because I would try checking for something objectionable and I knew this wasn’t healthy.

What if no one else would report an objectionable thing that is quite common? You run out of reports and the only way to be able to make more as soon as you can you’d have to make another account. Should we or is that taking it too far?

What about seeing an account you can’t report itself but a lot of its content is bad?

I feel I may be overthinking but another part of me says I’ll become an accomplice of someone’s sins if I don’t act.
 
Last edited:
Unless it’s your own children, or perhaps younger siblings, whom you’re trying to protect, you are not the Internet police. If something truly crosses a line of morality, then don’t look at it, report it if that’s an option, whatever you’d normally do. But if it’s just a matter of “this content is okay for a 17-year-old but not a child”, it’s not your place to be Tipper Gore and you won’t succeed anyway.

Based on your past thread, have you considered maybe taking some breaks from the Internet? It seems you are getting awfully caught up in what’s going on there.
 
What I was talking about was indeed morally problematic stuff, such as sexual references and suggestive content people post

The problem is I’ve been wanting to take a break but there’s that part of me telling me I may be doing something wrong by turning a blind eye to these obvious problems.
 
The only thing you are responsible for is keeping your own kids safe. You’ll drive yourself insane trying to police the Internet.
 
I see that point, it’s just i have that overthinking part of me saying we are becoming essential to their acts by allowing them to continue…
 
Well we need to be careful with censorship but you are certainly right to be worried about your children being exposed to immorality. At least you have control when they are younger but unless you homeschool, once they get in high school and college they will be exposed to the liberal left that has control of education. Use the internet to your advantage while you can so that your children will be able to do battle on their own when the time comes.
 
As a moderator on another forum, there is a list of things to do if someone finds something objectionable, including me hitting the delete button. Any site with a forum has rules and I’ve read the rules on other sites. Since these sites/forums are owned by private companies, there is no radical freedom of speech. There are boundaries and lines. As the owners/hosts, we would prefer that our guests behave themselves as if they were in our house in person. The internet is moving away from the Wild Wild West mentality of anything goes. Who we associate with, anonymous or not, does reflect on us. More action is being taken to remove objectionable content.

The word censorship does not apply.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top