See, that’s funny. For me, the twist at the end made me go from being mildly disappointed in the movie, but still liking some parts, to downright hating the movie. It was bad enough that they made Maleficent not really evil, just hurt and trying to protect her people from the evil humans. (and who could blame her) But then they go and do that?
If it was just a movie about a horned fairy who got betrayed, and then learned to love and forgive by the love of an innocent child, I might have liked it. Actually, I
would have liked it. On the surface that’s a good plot.
But it was supposed to be the Sleeping Beauty story, which it ain’t in the least. And specifically, it was supposed to be about Maleficent,
THE Maleficent, one of the most iconic Disney villains. She’s pure evil, and she doesn’t have any reasons for being evil, she just likes the power. She’s like the devil. That’s why she’s such a good villain. Making her into a hero is just plain wrong. That’s like making the Wicked Witch of the West good. (Oh wait…)
I think that you went into the movie with preconceived notions about how you wanted it to be similar to the original. Of course you were right to be disappointed – Maleficent took a completely different track. Aurora was just a small character in this movie. The tables were turned by making the King the villain and Maleficent first the victim who was bent on revenge then finally the hero who had a change of heart. This movie could teach kids that the spirit of revenge will always have negative consequences and that people can change. My take is that the story is a new fairytale, which doesn’t have to mirror the original.
I’m tired of all these complicated villain stories. Why aren’t there real heroes and villains anymore? Villains aren’t r
eally bad, they just got hurt and are lashing out. And of course, there can never be a really true hero, who doesn’t have some selfish motive.
Yeah, real life isn’t usually that black and white, but there
is such as real good and real evil, and the whole point of fairy tales is to teach kids that and to learn that evil can be beat. We’re afraid to tell kids that now. Why?
Anyways, sorry for the rant.

I’m glad at least you liked it. I just really didn’t enjoy watching a story I grew up with get ruined like this.