• Thread starter Thread starter Monicathree
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
scaxter:
I just need to calm my bothered feelings down about this,

Thanks.
Bring it to God in prayer, about why the sight may bother you. It could lead to spritual growth! I’m sure it’s something and God will point it out to you if you let Him, and the test of humbling yourself to Him will always make you a better, stronger person. Good luck!!

All this talk is interesting, but I would like to know…should we or should we not wear a veil. One woman in my parish has just began to wear one. I know her and now intend to ask her the reason she has started to wear one after so long.

I never wanted to give up covering my head. I had always been taught it showed great reverence and humility (which I need more of). Now if I began to wear one again, I feel (as has been stated in some of the posts), that I will be calling attention to myself. I’m
certainly not holy enough. But, I do love God and would like him to given the best we have to offer.

Many years ago I began to genuflect before communion and receive on the tongue. It was difficult at first (embarrassing). Now, I seldom think of it and when I do, I remember the advice given to me by a priest. Bow down and genuflect offering it for all those in the church who do not bow before the Lord.
:bowdown:

40.png
Busybee:
All this talk is interesting, but I would like to know…should we or should we not wear a veil. One woman in my parish has just began to wear one. I know her and now intend to ask her the reason she has started to wear one after so long.
Since wearing a veil is neither a required practice, nor a prohibited one, only you can answer that question. Many of the prior posts provide excellent bases on which to make the decision.

I do have one more thing to say. [Who ever thought there could be so much discussion over one little veil?]😃

I was reading somewhere, I can’t remember where, that the Church said veils are no longer required, but they never said you can’t or shouldn’t wear them. The next comment was that whenever someone meets the Pope, they are required to wear a veil “out of respect.” Well, if the Pope deserves respect…how much more the Lord.

I won’t be wearing a veil, yet there are so many, many ways of showing Him respect and honor.

Praised be Jesus Christ!

I ran across this forum while Googling.

The Church never said veiling was not required; that was a reporter who, while the Vatican II Council was in session, made that assumption. It is in Scripture: read Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians–Vatican II did not undertake (and had no authority) to re-write the Bible. Thus, it is not simply a matter of “showing respect:” it is also being obedient to the Word. What went wrong after Vatican II is that, for various reasons, the laity (and a lot of the Religious) tossed out the baby with the bath-water, and the clergy did nothing to correct them. And what we’re seeing now is Martin Luther’s version of how it should be what Our Lord told us.

The last time I attended a “Protestantized” service (I dare not call it Mass), I was–as always–veiled. A woman tapped my shoulder during the “meet-and-greet” (“the greeting of peace”) and said, “You don’t have to do that any more.” I asked, “Do what?” She pointed to my veil and said, “Wear those.” I smiled, handed her my pocket-sized New Testament, and said, “First letter of Paul to the Corinthians.”

I haven’t attended one of those services since.

One more thing…I’m betting I’ve annoyed more than on person 🙂 When Jesus spoke of judging, He referred to the Final Judgement–which is for God to do; not us. Thus, we may judge others’ behavior or garb (my church has a sign prominently posted in the vestibule stating what type of garb is and is not acceptable). Where and for how long a soul will go after the body dies is for Him to say…and only Him.

Read the Gospels.

Make the Stations of the Cross.

Read the Catechism (pre-Vatican II).

Talk to a priest who is not mired in relativism. A good site is sspx.org. No–they’re not heretics or schismatics. Another good site is traditioninaction.org. Doing what “feels good” is easy. Being Catholic is not easy–the Saints and Our Lord himself modeled that for us!

God love you.

I don’t wear a veil at Mass, and in 40 years if it were still required I think I would have heard about it. I honor those who do wear a veil since most seem to do it as a witness and gentle reminder to the rest of us about modesty and reverence. I also don’t genuflect any more because of arthritis, not the pain, but the inability to get up without help is anything but reverent.

I would offer this thought to those who wear a veil, genuflect, bow the head at Jesus’ name, cross themselves when passing a Catholic church, automatically say a prayer when they hear sirens, etc. By all means continue these practices if for no other reason than you may and you can. The day may come when you cannot wear a veil or cross (see the laws in France), when you cannot make any public display that indicates your religious affiliation, or when you are disabled or otherwise prevented from pious actions. If nothing else, do it for those of us who cannot or will not show outwards signs of reverence, especially in countries where it is against the law, i.e. Islamic regimes, China etc.

40.png
puzzleannie:
I don’t wear a veil at Mass, and in 40 years if it were still required I think I would have heard about it. I honor those who do wear a veil since most seem to do it as a witness and gentle reminder to the rest of us about modesty and reverence. I also don’t genuflect any more because of arthritis, not the pain, but the inability to get up without help is anything but reverent.

I would offer this thought to those who wear a veil, genuflect, bow the head at Jesus’ name, cross themselves when passing a Catholic church, automatically say a prayer when they hear sirens, etc. By all means continue these practices if for no other reason than you may and you can. The day may come when you cannot wear a veil or cross (see the laws in France), when you cannot make any public display that indicates your religious affiliation, or when you are disabled or otherwise prevented from pious actions. If nothing else, do it for those of us who cannot or will not show outwards signs of reverence, especially in countries where it is against the law, i.e. Islamic regimes, China etc.
It is required for a private audience with the Holy Father. Laura Bush is not Catholic and she is wearing one in the presence of Pope John Paul II. Why not wear it for Our Lord too?

http://www.georgewbush.com/images/gallery/catholics/46H.jpg

http://www.georgewbush.com/images/gallery/catholics/pofl_popeH.jpg

Many on this thread keep saying “veil”. My grandmother and mother wore a veil at times. A “veil” hangs down and covers one’s eyes and nose. I covers the face. Mrs Bush, in the pic, IS NOT wearing a veil.

The origin of the head covering was to cover the hair. Here in Texas it has always been called a “head covering”. Many would just place a white handkerchief on top of their heads. Some did have Mantillas, and the looked great. I believe it was Paul who said for women to cover their heads in Church.

My location is 60 % Hispanic and the Hispanic still wear a Mantilla, I like that. Now on some days the women going to Mass look just like the Protestants. Men do not wear hats inside Church, they let their bald heads shine. Maybe they should have to use a Mantilla.:yup:

Khoria Anna:
and i thought i was the only one who kissed my veil before putting it on. . . i felt led to do it, but still it seemed sort of strange, but do it anyway. . . i won’t feel so strange doing that any more. thank you.
I kiss my mantilla, also, just as I kiss my brown scapular. It is simply showing devotion. Remember the priest always kisses the Gospel before he reads it! I kiss the Crucifix on my Rosary also. It is all for love. :love:

40.png
JCPhoenix:
I’ve been looking for a veil but haven’t found one. Where did you get your veils?

I have a neighbor/fellow parishioner who has one, but she said she got it from our church’s gift shop. I did not find any there (out of stock?) so I’m looking to alternative sources.

I’ve seen both black and white and as white seems to stand out so much (and I feel unworthy of white) I would like a black veil. Any sources for purchase?
The best veils I have found are at www.halo-works.com. If you go to this website you may order there directly, or you can request a catalog and do mail-order. They are all beautiful and very reasonably priced. I have two of them from there and love them immensely. They will also send you a history of this devotion when you get your order, but that info is on the website as well. Happy browsing!

40.png
Jennifer123:
Another thread mentioned this - my question is do you tie the scarf around your neck or will it stay on your head just draped over without the use of pins or tying? Sorry to get so detailed…but info would be appreciated! 🙂
If you purchased a veil or mantilla from halo-works.com they will stay on draped over your hair without the use of pins or tying, especially if you bought one made out of soft tulle. Soft tulle lace drapes very nicely and I have never needed to pin it or tie it to keep it in place. 👍

Unless you have hair like mine, which doesn’t respond to curling irons or anything. Things just slip right off my head. 😃

Luckily, when I bought my veil, the woman sent me a clear plastic comb along with it. I sewed it to my veil and now I don’t have to worry about it slipping off.

Oh, by the way – I think the pictures of Laura Bush are beautiful! What a sign of respect!

How about wearing a hat? Women look very nice in hats. Queen Elizabeth II is a strong advocate of women wearing hats. When she has a party, she expects women to come properly dressed. And this includes wearing a hat.

I checked out the website listed for veils…and there are so many I’d LOVE to buy, both for myself and other women I know!

Anyway, I did find 2 veils in my parish’s gift shop, just simple lace triangular veils. I usually wear the black one because I think it stands out less both with my hair color (dark) and the colors I tend to wear (black), darker solid colors.

Anyway, I still question myself sometimes as to why I am choosing this particular devotion. In reading some of the responses here I think that it helps me to solidify some of my reasoning.

More than a few have addressed modesty…and this is part of it. I’ve never considered myself very attractive, and always felt “frumpy” in that I can’t now wear the skimpy fashions. In a time period where I could, I chose not to because it didn’t feel right to me and I didn’t like the image it purveyed to others. Even now I see some girls in Church with ultra tight pants, ultra short skirts, see through tops…and they’re in Jr. High and High school! ANd standing next to them are their condoning parents.

It seems we have really lost our way. And when I wear a veil, I think more about what I wear, what I choose on the outside to honor God, because what we do on the exterior is often very reflective of the interior.

Sometimes I am embarassed as not many women wear veils in my church…yet that feeling reminds me of the times in the past when I didn’t do something I knew was right because I was afraid of what others would think of me if I went against their norm.

Sadly, it seems that many who attend Mass aren’t really “there”…they don’t understand what it is all about, and I used to be one of them…and in many many respects I still am. It seems that there is alwyas something new and wonderful about our religion.

I wear the veil out of respect to Jesus. Sure, the times have changed…but for God, time is just a blink of an eye. In HIS eyes, respect is respect, and the foundation of that does not change. All around the world there are standards of modesty both for men and women…and a veil is a classic sign.

Maybe in our secularized culture it is an extreme…but I’d rather be part of an “extreme” that helps me become closer to God, than part of the “norm” that pulls me further from him.

I’ve gotten used to wearing it…it seems strange to be uncovered in the presence of Jesus now. I still care about the stares…but if I focus on keeping that thing on my head I don’t have time to worry about what others think! 😛

Seriously…bobby pins don’t work for me in spite of my thick hair…so I just pull it forward, keep my head bowed…and offer it to Jesus. 🙂

This IS really hard to explain!

40.png
JMTE:
Read the Catechism (pre-Vatican II).

Talk to a priest who is not mired in relativism. A good site is sspx.org. No–they’re not heretics or schismatics. QUOTE]
  1. Wear a veil if it pleases you or if you feel it pleases God. I think it’s laudable that someone puts that much thought into their devotion. Reverence is in short supply.
  2. Reading the current Cathecism might be a good idea. His Holiness Pope John Paul II: “The Catechism of the Catholic Church, which I approved June 25th last (sic) and the publication of which I today order by my Apostolic Authority, is a statement of the Church’s faith and of catholic doctrine, attested to or illuminated by Sacred Scripture, the Apostolic Tradition, and the Church’s Magisterium. I declare it to be a sure norm for teaching the faith and thus a valid and legitimate instrument for ecclesial communion.”
  3. The Society of Saint Pius X is, in fact, schismatic. Google the papal document confirming the excommunication of the Archbishop and the bishops he ordained, and the “grave” warning given to faithful Catholics tempted to support them.

Khoria Anna, Blood Rain, Scaxter, etc. al:

I just want to say how touched I was by your dialogue above. All of your questions and replies demonstrated a respect, gentleness and openness that these forums too often lack. Truly a Christian witness. Thank you!

Here is the story about head coverings and Vatican II:
web2.airmail.net/~carlsch/Ma…ry/the_veil.htm
During the second Vatican Council, a mob of reporters waited for news after a council meeting. One of them asked Msgr. Annibale Bugnini, then secretary of the Vatican Congregation for Divine Worship, if women still had to wear a headcover in the churches. His response was that the Bishops were considering other issues, and that women’s veils were not on the agenda.
The next day, the international press announced throughout the world that women did not have to wear the veil anymore. A few days later, Msgr. Bugnini told the press he was misquoted and women must still had to wear the veil. But the Press did not retract the error, and many women stopped wearing the veil as out of confusion and because of pressure from feminist groups.
Go to the link for the rest.

I have felt convicted that I should wear the a head covering at mass out of reverence for the Christ in the Eucharist, and to acknowledge my role as a woman in the Church. To me, it is a reminder of humility and reverence. Also, I can’t get around the admonition from Paul in 1 Cor. 11. Women have consistently worn a head covering during mass from the time of the apostles until the 1960s, and some continue this practice. It is a way of connecting oneself to all the women of the past within the Church.
40.png
Busybee:
I never wanted to give up covering my head.
Then by all means, you may begin again! I think it would please God for you to do so, especially if He is giving you this desire.
40.png
Busybee:
I had always been taught it showed great reverence and humility (which I need more of). Now if I began to wear one again, I feel (as has been stated in some of the posts), that I will be calling attention to myself. I’m
certainly not holy enough. But, I do love God and would like him to given the best we have to offer.
Indeed, this is a dilemma for me also. But I guess just remember that no matter what the issue is in life (ie. morality, devotions, etc), when God calls us to do something, we cannot do anything but obey. Head coverings are a sign or reminder that one needs humility, not that we already have it. Must one be “holy enough” to justify following God’s laws? No, they are for all to follow, and God will give you the necessary grace to obey wherever He is leading you.

God bless you!
Lily628

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back