N
NLMoss
Guest
I was browsing the local book store tonight and saw the “Marginal Jew” series by Fr. John P. Meier about the historical Jesus.
In the 1970s, before I actually returned to Catholicism, I lived in NYC and attended mass sporadically, especially mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral. During Lent of 1977, I believe it was, when Cardinal Terence Cooke was there, I recall a series of sermons given at mass by a Father John Meier. I remember this Fr. Meier giving very powerful sermons that were very inspiring and fascinating. He was a guest homilist at the Cathedral under the auspices of Cardinal Cooke who seemed to hold this Father Meier in high regard. He gave excellent sermons at that time.
I am wondering if the author could be the same Father John Meier who spoke at St. Pat’s Cathedral and if so, how well received is this 3-volume series Marginal Jew by the Church. In leafing through the book, I found the historical background and the description of how Jesus might have lived based upon where he came from, socioeconomic status, etc., fascinating.
However, on searching the net, I saw that Commentary magazine had reviewed volume I in 1992 and gave the impression that Fr. Meier questioned the virgin birth, etc. I skimmed only what was available for general consumption which was the beginning of the review only so I cannot say whether the entire review was favorable or unfavorable.
I really do not know how controversial the book was or how compatible the premise of the books is with our catechism. If not compatible, can anyone suggest books or authors that might give faithful historical background based on what we do know of our Lord? Not just from a Biblical standpoint but also background on how life was lived at that time for Jews in the region and therefore how life for Jesus might have been when growing up.
Can anyone enlighten me?
In the 1970s, before I actually returned to Catholicism, I lived in NYC and attended mass sporadically, especially mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral. During Lent of 1977, I believe it was, when Cardinal Terence Cooke was there, I recall a series of sermons given at mass by a Father John Meier. I remember this Fr. Meier giving very powerful sermons that were very inspiring and fascinating. He was a guest homilist at the Cathedral under the auspices of Cardinal Cooke who seemed to hold this Father Meier in high regard. He gave excellent sermons at that time.
I am wondering if the author could be the same Father John Meier who spoke at St. Pat’s Cathedral and if so, how well received is this 3-volume series Marginal Jew by the Church. In leafing through the book, I found the historical background and the description of how Jesus might have lived based upon where he came from, socioeconomic status, etc., fascinating.
However, on searching the net, I saw that Commentary magazine had reviewed volume I in 1992 and gave the impression that Fr. Meier questioned the virgin birth, etc. I skimmed only what was available for general consumption which was the beginning of the review only so I cannot say whether the entire review was favorable or unfavorable.
I really do not know how controversial the book was or how compatible the premise of the books is with our catechism. If not compatible, can anyone suggest books or authors that might give faithful historical background based on what we do know of our Lord? Not just from a Biblical standpoint but also background on how life was lived at that time for Jews in the region and therefore how life for Jesus might have been when growing up.
Can anyone enlighten me?