V
Valiente88
Guest
On April 2nd 1968 something rather remarkable is said to have happened in Cairo, Egypt. The Virgin Mary herself is said to have appeared bathed in light above a Coptic Orthodox Church. Not only that, she would appear many more times over the next three years. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Zeitoun
The Copts are not the only ones who claim a miracle such as this, while apparitions of the Virgin are recorded far more rarely in Protestant Circles they are far from unknown in the Orthodox world.
How does the Vatican presently treat these cases? Obviously when the Virgin is said to appear to Catholics as she is believed to have at Fatima the Church investigates and makes an authoritative judgement on the matter. How are Non-Catholic Marian apparitions to be treated? Are they false, hoaxes at best or diabolic manifestations at worst or can the Virgin appear to non Catholics?
I’m just curious, because if schism is such a threat to the Church, indeed an offense to Christ why does Mary and numerous other saints send such mixed messages, seemingly of approval to the schismatic churches? I can find no record of her ever ordering the Copts or Greek Orthodox to join the Catholic Church, but perhaps then again I have not looked hard enough.
Any thoughts on this are welcomed.
The Copts are not the only ones who claim a miracle such as this, while apparitions of the Virgin are recorded far more rarely in Protestant Circles they are far from unknown in the Orthodox world.
How does the Vatican presently treat these cases? Obviously when the Virgin is said to appear to Catholics as she is believed to have at Fatima the Church investigates and makes an authoritative judgement on the matter. How are Non-Catholic Marian apparitions to be treated? Are they false, hoaxes at best or diabolic manifestations at worst or can the Virgin appear to non Catholics?
I’m just curious, because if schism is such a threat to the Church, indeed an offense to Christ why does Mary and numerous other saints send such mixed messages, seemingly of approval to the schismatic churches? I can find no record of her ever ordering the Copts or Greek Orthodox to join the Catholic Church, but perhaps then again I have not looked hard enough.
Any thoughts on this are welcomed.