Marijuana & cigarettes immorality

  • Thread starter Thread starter SisterSnowflake
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad habits such as marijuana use, cigarette smoking, over drinking and overeating
are not sins in themselves, but they may be related sins like intemperance, sloth or gluttony.

The best way to cure bad habits is to sincerely pray to God for help. That’s how I quit smoking. I just asked God to help me quit and he did!
 
I, too, think that there is nothing inherently wrong with consuming marijuana, even by unhealthy methods like smoking (but it’s certainly better to vaporize it or take it orally, for safety reasons). The sin arises from using it without temperance. Using it to get completely “blazed” is wrong, the way taking alcohol to get drunk is wrong. However, in case anybody thinks that there is no way to use marijuana in moderation, I must say I have seen friends of mine take several hits without becoming noticeably impaired in any way. I think that, like alcohol, taking a little bit at a time can make you feel good without making you lose control. If you take so much marijuana that you get addicted (and yes, you can get addicted to pot; you can get addicted to anything that stimulates the dopamine system, including things like eating and sex) that would also be a bad thing. It would certainly be sinful to waste a lot of money on weed; the same goes for anything. Finally, you should not buy from criminals or gangs who smuggle drugs into the country by killing and terrorizing people, although most pot is grown locally so that’s not really a problem.

I do think that the government’s “war on drugs” is an ineffective policy feuled by ignorance and racism; it crowds our prisons with drug users who present no danger to the general population, and it wastes millins of dollars and man-hours of labor in this pursuit. I do not, however, think we should oppose the current law by flaunting it and smoking pot. There are appropriate legal channels for change, and I think we should try to bring about change through these channels (vote Ron Paul!) instead of ignoring existing laws. If it turns out that congress is unwilling to change the law despite a large and legitimate majority push for legalisation of these substances, only then would I say civil disobedience is justified.

Just so you know, I have never used any drugs other than caffeine and the appropriate use of prescription painkillers.
 
I do think that the government’s “war on drugs” is an ineffective policy feuled by ignorance and racism; it crowds our prisons with drug users who present no danger to the general population, and it wastes millins of dollars and man-hours of labor in this pursuit. I do not, however, think we should oppose the current law by flaunting it and smoking pot. There are appropriate legal channels for change, and I think we should try to bring about change through these channels (vote Ron Paul!) instead of ignoring existing laws. If it turns out that congress is unwilling to change the law despite a large and legitimate majority push for legalisation of these substances, only then would I say civil disobedience is justified.

Just so you know, I have never used any drugs other than caffeine and the appropriate use of prescription painkillers.
I think marijuana should definitely be legalized, as it is in no way worse than alcohol as a drug, in fact, alcohol does far more damage when abused.

I think it’s interesting that Pat Robertson is for legalizing marijuana, (he is usually so far right in his beliefs).

“The outspoken evangelical Christian and host of “The 700 Club” on the Virginia Beach-based Christian Broadcasting Network he founded said the war on drugs is costing taxpayers billions of dollars. He said people should not be sent to prison for marijuana possession”

whole story here: (go Pat Robertson and go Ron Paul!)

cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57393466/pat-robertson-marijuana-should-be-legal/
 
But…isn’t it in the Bible to use ALL seeds and herbs? May I ask what marijuana is? Isn’t it a natural seed that God stated in the bible to use? Isn’t marijuana a herb? Isn’t it proven that marijuana also helps with medical purposes???
Taking that logic; heroin and cocaine are made from opiates (Hello poppies), cigarettes from tobacco, rum from sugar cane, beer from various grains, etc etc. All of these might have some benefit but that’s not sufficient logic.
 
(a) Whether or not the substance should be widely legalized is simply not something I have the capacity to discuss. My interest (and education) in the US legal system is simply far too scant. However;

(b) Until such point as it becomes legal for any and all purposes, I cannot help but to state that to break such laws as criminalize it is in fact immoral. Likewise;

(c) If it were legal, there are issues here of whether or not becoming inebriated is a prudent choice to make, especially when such causes of inebriation – such as marijuana – might be difficult to resist. Lastly;

(d) The money to acquire such a substance, as well as the time spent under the control of it, can certainly be used in ways which are far more moral and productive, and which have far less chance of causing scandal.
 
(a) Whether or not the substance should be widely legalized is simply not something I have the capacity to discuss. My interest (and education) in the US legal system is simply far too scant. However;

(b) Until such point as it becomes legal for any and all purposes, I cannot help but to state that to break such laws as criminalize it is in fact immoral. Likewise;

(c) If it were legal, there are issues here of whether or not becoming inebriated is a prudent choice to make, especially when such causes of inebriation – such as marijuana – might be difficult to resist. Lastly;

(d) The money to acquire such a substance, as well as the time spent under the control of it, can certainly be used in ways which are far more moral and productive, and which have far less chance of causing scandal.
It’s a plant. It needs what all other plants do. Water, nutrients, and sunlight. That’s it. Just like any other plants, anyone can buy the seeds and grow their own.

For the record, no, I do not grow nor do I smoke it.
No, it shouldn’t be illegal. But just like everything else, moderation is the key.
 
It was used as an anointing oil in Jesus’ time. Therefore it is likely that Jesus used it. Also, the Rastafarians, a branch of Christianity, use it as a holy sacrament to attain enlightenment and facilitate meditation, much in the same way that we use wine.
God gave us this stuff, and look at the results: great films, brilliant music, appetite stimulation, pain relief. How on earth can it be bad? It is true that prohibition is more of a Protestant ideal. The idea has some merit, after all, nobody likes a violent or rude drunk, but most drinkers are not like this, just as most stoners are not like this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top