Marines driven out of UAW lot

• Thread starter Thread starter swampfox
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

swampfox

detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0503/13/C01-115531.htm
The union says Marines in foreign cars, displaying Bush stickers unwelcome.

By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News

DETROIT – The United Auto Workers says Marine reservists should show a little more semper fi if they want to use the union’s parking lot.

The Marine Corps motto means “always faithful,” but the union says some reservists working out of a base on Jefferson Avenue in Detroit have been decidedly unfaithful to their fellow Americans by driving import cars and trucks.

So the UAW International will no longer allow members of the 1st Battalion 24th Marines to park at Solidarity House if they are driving foreign cars or displaying pro-President Bush bumper stickers

“While reservists certainly have the right to drive nonunion made vehicles and display bumper stickers touting the most anti-worker, anti-union president since the 1920s, that doesn’t mean they have the right to park in a lot owned by the members of the UAW,” the union said in a statement released Friday.

Shocked and disappointed, the Marines are pulling out.

“You either support the Marines or you don’t,” said Lt. Col. Joe Rutledge, commanding officer of the battalion’s active duty instructors. “I’m telling my Marines that they’re no longer parking there.”

At a time when U.S. armed forces are fighting and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan, quibbling over parking privileges is “silly,” Rutledge said.

The UAW has a long history of barring foreign-made cars from its parking lots. The subject is touchier than ever as Detroit’s Big Three loses market share, driving down union membership.

The pro-Bush bumper stickers are another sore spot after last year’s election.

UAW President Ron Gettelfinger opposed President Bush, accusing him of ignoring calls for labor law reform and failing to combat unfair business practices in China – a growing threat to U.S. manufacturers.

The dispute arises as the UAW, using laid-off workers for labor, is building a $300,000 home for the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The home in Eaton Rapids will operate a residential program for children of veterans who don’t have parents, or whose parents can’t care for them.

“We do not think it is unreasonable to expect our guests to practice the simple principle of not insulting their host,” the UAW statement said.

Rutledge is unmoved.

“I don’t see it as a snub against them,” he said, adding no conditions were set when the union first began allowing the Marines to park in the lot several years ago. “We’re appreciative of what they’ve done, but you don’t come into my office and say, ‘OK, we’re not going to support some of your Marines.’ I don’t know what a foreign car is today anyway. BMWs are made in South Carolina now.”

The UAW is just displaying a last ditch attempt to get people to buy american products, but they are a little late. Some models of Fords are made in Mexico, while some Chevis are made in Canada. Also some GM cars will be made in China, and exported here. In the meantime, some Hondas and Toyotas are assembled in the US, so how do you really tell? If a Marine can fight and maybe die for our country, he or she should be able to drive whatever they want to.

Simple choice-

Who do we need more?

the UAW?

or the Marines?

40.png
davy39:
The UAW is just displaying a last ditch attempt to get people to buy american products, but they are a little late. Some models of Fords are made in Mexico, while some Chevis are made in Canada. Also some GM cars will be made in China, and exported here. In the meantime, some Hondas and Toyotas are assembled in the US, so how do you really tell? If a Marine can fight and maybe die for our country, he or she should be able to drive whatever they want to.
Does anyone know if this is the same union which provided the goon squads to trash campaign offices during election period?

Even if a vehicle appears American made, chances are its component parts, engine, etc are foreign made. Many foreign automakers provide jobs for Americans in their plants here.

Warning: slight thread drift

When I was looking to buy a car last summer, I had in mind a few American models. I had always had Japanese cars before then (all two of them), and I always liked them, but I thought I should look at some American cars too.

Then I subscribed to Consumer Reports’ website.

Almost all of CR’s top-rated cars were Japanese (principally Honda, Toyota, and Mazda). Almost all of the low-rated cars were American (with some European makes thrown in).

I ended up with another Mazda, and I’m very happy. I’d love to support American companies so I can wave the flag or whatever, but it’s not my fault that the Japanese cars are so much better.

I’m pretty sure there are no longer any 100% American cars.

The last one I’m aware of was in 1992, can’t remember make and model. But the info was in an economics class I was taking.

UAW is just a bunch of thugs, take a look at what they’ve done over the last year.

They talk a good game when it comes to “Open-Mindedness and Diversity.” But where the rubber meets the road its the “Union’s Way or the Highway.”

I don’t know much, but I do know this: My dad’s Chevy was made in Canada but my Honda Element was made in Ohio.

UAW workers are made in America.

UAW leadership is made in… France?

By the way, the UAW leadership admitted its mistake, and offered the parking lot back to the Marines. The Marines however, have found another spot to welcome them, and rejected the UAW offer.

I think the UAW leadership needs a few good men.

What’s American, my Chrysler made in Canada, my Ford made in Mexico or my Toyota made in Califorinia? Are all the workers in the Japanese and European auto plants in the US non-union?

Joe Kelley:
Simple choice-

Who do we need more?

the UAW?

or the Marines?
That depends on who you ask. I am sure that Senator’s Kerry and Kennedy would tell you that the unions are far more important than the Marines.

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
That depends on who you ask. I am sure that Senator’s Kerry and Kennedy would tell you that the unions are far more important than the Marines.
Did you happen to see the film of the SF high schoolers massed up to chant and cant at the Navy recruiters last week - what a charming way to teach the young.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back