Mark bonocore vs matt slick part 4

  • Thread starter Thread starter 6glargento
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
<< I mean really no it isnt is not debating its argueing at about a 2nd grade level >>

Yes, it is called the Monty Python style of debate

The Argument Sketch

Phil P
 
can anybody tell where to find bonocore and matt slick debate?
 
On the issue of mary remaining a virgin,matthew 1:21,i think that is quite self explanatory,and im catholic…
“And behold, I am with you always until the end of the world.”
{Matthew 28:20}

Matthew uses the conjunction ‘eos’ to refer to the time before, not after. Jesus is not suggesting that he will no longer be with us after the end of the world.

Pax vobiscum
Good Fella :cool:
 
Yeah Part 4 is chaotic. I liked Parts 1 and 2 and saved those on my own site. Parts 3 and 4 tended to repeat previous things. Haven’t listened to Part 5 yet. Part 2 was more focused on the authority and sola scriptura issue.

I re-encoded Parts 1 and 2 down to 16 kbps and put on my audio page as one file. Hope Matt Slick won’t mind. 😃

Phil P
can you tell where i can find this debate?
 
<< can you tell where i can find this debate? >>

Don’t you worry, although Matt might have moved them, I saved them all. 👍 Unedited, original MP3. He encodes at 64 kbps, and the volume is not too loud. I re-encoded Parts 1 and 2, boosted the volume, and re-saved at 16 kbps, and put on my audio page, but here are CARM’s originals. It was 6 weeks.

Bonocore v. Slick Part 1 (MP3)
Bonocore v. Slick Part 2 (MP3)
Bonocore v. Slick Part 3 (MP3)
Bonocore v. Slick Part 4 (MP3)
Bonocore v. Slick Part 5 (MP3)
Bonocore v. Slick Part 6 (MP3)

Phil P
 
“Until” doesn’t mean there was a change afterward. Read this:

Until:

What about 1 Samuel 15:35? “And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death: nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul: and the Lord repented that he had made Saul king over Israel.” I really doubt Samuel and Saul hooked up after his death, either!
Well, actually…
 
it was quite confusing. no point there. slick is in love with himself. anyone see that? he wishes to be the only authority in determining and deciding what is true in the Bible. if anyone recall the Bible tells us how the Jews honored and venerate Abraham, Moses, Jacob to the point that noone would dare to come against these men. to Catholics is the same thing when referring to Mother Mary the Mother of God and the Saints of the CC. Amen
 
:knight1: We need St Paul and St Peter to come down here and straight mr slick out.:yawn: :knight1:
 
The debate was fairly even.

Mark knows quite a bit in the area of history – but is constrained not to argue effectively that way because Matt slick is not – and arguably so is the radio audience – which means that historical arguments are going to seem like points pulled out of thin air.

What this means is that Mark gets stuck on things he can prove – but not effectively in this particular debate.

The latter most debates are turning into a rapid fire session of verses, which Mark is not responding to although he can – eg: I could easily find several response verses to what Matt slick reads off rapid fire – but since Mark isn’t able to do so in rapid succession, it gives the illusion that there is no response.

This is unfortunate, for I can see that Mark really does know his stuff and Just needs time to properly formulate a response tailored to his opponent’s needs.

I think as Matt becomes more nervous with being unable to Pin anything on the Catholic church, he is going to be forced to use the rapid fire technique more often. The diamond brother’s debate earlier showed the same tendency – the loosing argument bolsters itself by a scatter gun, rather than a focused approach.

I find this sad, because they both are excellent debaters bringing up points which really do need to be adequately addressed by the opposition (and are not adequately being addressed) – and having fuller answers is much better than a fast sound bite.
Because the winner in that case is often the one to dish out more unresolved points – the American bias is to think for one’s self because of being betrayed by Government in the past ( Glorified Revolutionary war ),
etc. When in fact they are merely adsorbing the one able to dish out more propaganda.

Mark has done his best when he takes Matt’s points from scripture and shows an inconsistency. The playing field does accept scripture as inerrant, and the linguistic issues are DEFINITELY part of his strong suit – but he has to convince the ignorant audience as well as the learned opponent.

The stress level at the 6th session is quite tense. The rapid fire response of Matt shows that he is willing to take any victory at this point, no matter how shallow – or perhaps Mark’s discussion is going over his head a little, and he simply isn’t able to process all the implications of what is being said so is responding to facile points rather than the substance of the argument.

Keep It Simple if possible (And everyone knows I can’t even do that myself…)
 
…The stress level at the 6th session is quite tense. The rapid fire response of Matt shows that he is willing to take any victory at this point, no matter how shallow – or perhaps Mark’s discussion is going over his head a little, and he simply isn’t able to process all the implications of what is being said so is responding to facile points rather than the substance of the argument…
The sixth show was the only one I thought Mark fell a little short. I think he got into trouble on the Calvinist issues by not fully appreciating the lattitude within Catholic theology on some tenants of Calvinism.

Now I’m just a simple lay-fella, but I think he was arguing against some things that really needn’t be argued against (such as some of the Divine Justice issues Slick was bringing up, seeing Hell as punishment for sin, even Total Depravity is not something we need to waste so much time arguing against, it’s a different term than we would use but not all that different when you get to the heart of the matter of our fallen nature), and he was arguing for certain things that needn’t be argued for, such as seeing God sending people to Hell because He loves them (and is giving them exactly what they want).

In other words, I think Mark was taking allowable theological differences of opinion and expressions and raising them to the level of either condemned heresy or defined dogma. I think he jumped the gun on a few occaisions - fighting against the Calvinist heresy before Slick actually arrived at the heresy.

I think James Akin handles the Calvinist questions the best of our modern popular apologists. This article is excellent.

Well, there’s my two cents…

Peace in Christ,

DustinsDad
 
One more slight critique…aside from the fact that I think Mark did an excellent job in the first five programs and probably a C on the last…I was really surprised that he wished this guy luck on keeping his program on the air - and even encouraged catholics to send money to help it out. That was nuts. And wrong in my opnion.

There ya go - two more cents.

Peace in Christ,

DustinsDad
 
Would it be possible for anyone to repost Parts 3-6 of the debates? The links are dead. I found Pt. 1 and 2 elsewhere and it was awesome.

Thanks in advance!
 
Does anybody know that there where like 7 more debates than CARM has produced I think there is a total of 14 debates. You can order all of it from catholic-legate.com. It is well worth it there are other talks as well on homosexuality indulgences inquisitions ext. Check it out.
 
<< Would it be possible for anyone to repost Parts 3-6 of the debates? The links are dead. I found Pt. 1 and 2 elsewhere and it was awesome. Thanks in advance! >>

You got it, give me a second. I took them off my own site for some reason.

Here they are again, unedited with the original file sizes and bitrate (64 kbps), preserved and re-uploaded from my external 1 TB hard drive: 👍

Bonocore v. Slick Part 1 (MP3)
Bonocore v. Slick Part 2 (MP3)
Bonocore v. Slick Part 3 (MP3)
Bonocore v. Slick Part 4 (MP3)
Bonocore v. Slick Part 5 (MP3)
Bonocore v. Slick Part 6 (MP3)

I believe this actually went on for another 4 weeks, but not in a row, they took a little break or something, for a grand total of 10 weeks, maybe 12 weeks. I remember seeing a CD offered from Catholic-Legate.com that sold the whole thing on CD. So if you can’t get enough Bonocore/Slick, and who can’t :eek: check there.

EDIT: Catholic-Legate indeed still has them! They use frames but here is the Products Page

The best programs I thought were the first two which is why I preserved those I guess. The later ones tended to duplicate what was said in the first two.

And if you like loooooooooooong debates, try the eight hour Warren vs. Flew debate from 1976, also on my site in one giant file. You can fall asleep listening to that one late at night as I do. 😛

Phil P
 
Thanks Phil, I can’t wait to give 'em a go!

God Bless!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top