Marriage and Attraction

  • Thread starter Thread starter momtojeam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It does look like the husband has some insecurities, although at the same time he did notice some attraction. And yes, nobody’s at fault for merely perceiving somebody as an attractive person or even feeling attracted; it’s how we act about it which makes the fault. And yes, hormones don’t shut off just because you’re married.

From a man’s perspective, I suspect the husband may need some reassurance. Personally, I’ve got enough knowledge/sense of body language (sense comes from years of knowledge that’s partly forgotten on a conscious level, so it’s like “reads” on people), so I can generally easily tell a girlfriend or companion being attracted to some other guy (especially more than to me) and it’s never pleasant to me. Maybe the husband is not feeling desired/admired/respect/whatever? You could try giving him some reassurance about that. Or remind yourself why you found him attractive.

But I wonder why it’s his friend and he’s not taking action himself about it but complaining like a bit of a powerless person. Is he feeling lost/powerless?

He could use some counselling and he could especially use some conversations with a qualified person to explain to him how attraction works. Or a book.

Also, if it gets to the point of sexual thoughts or serious temptation to such, you may need to cut contact to remove the temptation. And definitely focus your mind elsewhere if there is even a light temptation. Sometimes temptations are subtle, disguised, seemingly harmless.
 
Call me old school or insecure like the husband, but this was a bad idea in the first place. Also, while the husband’s commentary was a little excessive, as others have noted, he seemed to recognize the attraction.

No good could have ever come from admitting a sexual thought about the friend - period.
 
I would also suggest (as I often do), John Gottman’s books on marriage. He has done research that shows which are productive and which are damaging ways for couples to complain to each other and to navigate and resolve conflicts. Even more importantly, he has identified habits which will eventually destroy marriages, which you will both want to studiously avoid.

quote]

Do you have a specific book of his in mind? I just did a quick search and it looks like he has written many.
 
Do you have a specific book of his in mind? I just did a quick search and it looks like he has written many.
I have either read or heard good things about Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work, Why Marriages Succeed or Fail, The Relationship Cure, and Ten Lessons to Transform Your Marriage.

See what your local library has. When it comes to self-help books, I am a big believer in doing a test-drive before buying. Sometimes you have a book for two days, and you’re pretty sure either that the author is not on your wavelength or you get what the author is getting at and are ready to be on your way or you find the format doesn’t work for you or you know it will be worth the investment to buy it. It can save a lot of money. The other thing I like to do is bounce back and forth between the holdings my local librarys have (keeping in mind that library districts often have recipriocal membership agreements) and the descriptions and reviews on Amazon.com. I take the Amazon reviews with a grain of salt, but you can get some valuable hints about what you’re in for, especially if a title has had lots of reviews.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top