Marriage and the eucharsit

  • Thread starter Thread starter macosta33
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

macosta33

Guest
I needed some help. I have a brother in law who is Baptist and he is married to my sister in law who is Catholic. How can I fully explain to him that she is not able to partake in communion because they are not married by the Catholic church?
 
I don’t know if any explanation, no matter how good and true would satisfy someone who does not acknowledge either the Real Presence nor the unity of the Church (as a visible entity in the world). Instead of trying to explain it to him cold, I’d ask him if he has any questions about these issues, and what his understanding of them are. Then you will have some understanding of where he is coming from that will help you explain them to him. I will keep you and the situation in my prayers.
 
I needed some help. I have a brother in law who is Baptist and he is married to my sister in law who is Catholic. How can I fully explain to him that she is not able to partake in communion because they are not married by the Catholic church?
If this is an issue you would just have to lay it out there that until her marriage is approved by the Catholic Church she should not be receiving communion in the Catholic Church.

Now I am a former Southern Baptist and as one I would not want my wife or any future children going to or being raised Catholic. This might not be the situation at all I dont know.

Also you said brother in law and sister in law so I guess the sister in law is your wife’s sister and this is causing some issues with your family of her marrying a non catholic.

Perhaps you should change your motive and stand firm on your beliefs and pray for your sister in law that she will come back home to the CC, and if this is not a situation of the brother in law condemining her beliefs or does not have an anti catholic attitude I would not worry too much about it, the Pope has mentioned before that inter religious marriages can help unity among us.
 
Macosta33,

Hello and welcome to the Catholic Answers Forums. I hope you have a blessed and fruitful time here.

The subject you raise is a tricky one and it will be very easy, unless you already get along VERY well with your brother- and sister-in-law, to bruise feelings and end relationships. One possible angle, if you are indeed the person to be giving the explanation, is a simple question of church discipline: if your sister-in-law wants to receive communion at the Catholic Church’s table, she needs to abide by the Catholic Church’s rules, and those include a Catholic wedding when a person is getting married.
  • Liberian
 
Simply remind them a convalidation or a radical sanation is required and then drop it, once they know then it is not your business any longer.
 
If the lady in question attends the same church as you I think you have an obligation not only to tell her firmly she cannot receive Communion because that is an act of sacrilege and a grave sin, but privately you should tell your priest so that he can then privately talk to your sister-in-law. It is not acceptable to sit back and do nothing while sacrilege continues to be committed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top