Marriage books

• Thread starter Thread starter RoseMeg451
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RoseMeg451

I am getting married in July, and am looking for recommendations of good books for FI and I to read in preparation. Thanks in advance!

Theology of the Body for Beginners
and Good News about Sex and Marriage, both by Christopher West

anything by Erma Bombeck

Theology of the Body is pretty good, I reccomend the short version by Christoper West. JPII was a great man, but his writing is like a literary game of ring-around-the-rosy.

So many times while my wife and I read it (then fiancee) I just wanted to say “SAY WHAT YOU MEAN PLEEEASE”

"Preparing for Marriage: A Complete Guide to Help You Discover God’s Plan for a Lifetime of Love (Paperback)
by David Boehi (Author), Brent Nelson (Author), Jeff Schulte (Author), Lloyd Shadrach (Author), Dennis Rainey (Editor) "

This pack is for the two of you and is soooo good not sure if its catholic but it is christian. You work through it together chapter by chapter and it helps yo to look at money, children, your past, your expectations for each other and your spiritual relationship. It is sooo good me and my h2b have worked through it together and it has helped to learn more about each other - eg he wants three kids, he had cancer when he was three, he doesnt need to be the breadwinner to be happy and he doesnt like credit cards and likes the safety of savings. He learn that I want 4 or 5 kids I was abused as a child I put a lot of emphasis on money and possessions(probably because im adopted!) and that i like to look after the bills.

Really wellworth it!!!

jxx

**I second the recommendations for Christopher West’s books…

and I will add a book that hubby and I recently read that I WISH we had read before marriage:

Personality Plus for Couples**

Malia

Three to Get Married by Archbishop Fulton Sheen

For Better… Forever by Greg Pocak

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman

His Needs, Her Needs by Willard Harley

DH and I read… Marriage, A Path To Sanctity by Javier Abad and Eugenio Fenoy
We both really enjoyed it and still pick it up to remind ourselves of certain things. Also, Marriage is for Keeps, by the Kippleys
A great book!!!

I am getting married in July, and am looking for recommendations of good books for FI and I to read in preparation. Thanks in advance!
My wife and I used “Marriage is for Keeps” by John Kippley. There are several editions, get the Marriage Edition. It provides a good overview of Catholic marriage, other practical information regarding living together as husband and wife, and a decent guide to planning a Nuptial Mass.

Another good book is “A Guide to Catholic Marriage” by Clement S. Mihanovich, Gerald J. Schnepp, S. M., and Rev. John L. Thomas, S. J. You will most likely need to find this at a library though because it was printed in 1955. A friend of mine found this at a sale at our college library and gave it to me as a wedding present. Though some of the information is rather antiquated, it has some very good information as well.

I highly recommend this book: Love & Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs, by Emerson Eggerichs.

Here’s a review at a Catholic website.
Dr. Eggerichs book, Love and Respect, is a break-through book on improving your marriage. The revolutionary concept? Show a man respect and admiration, and he’ll follow you anywhere and do anything for you. Show a woman love and understanding, and she’ll never leave your side. In short: let husbands be men, let wives be women.
I wish I had known about this book when it was first published. It would have saved my fiancee and me a lot of trouble! (We just got married at the end of December, and I found it last month – not a moment too soon!)

Theology of the Body for Beginners
and Good News about Sex and Marriage, both by Christopher West
I 3rd or 4th this. Any books fo Christopher West are great, especially Good News About Sex and Marriage

my favorite book in the world is Kimberly Hahn’s Life-giving Love. I highly recommend it!

Three to Get Married by Archbishop Fulton Sheen

For Better… Forever by Greg Pocak

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman

His Needs, Her Needs by Willard Harley
I second “For Better… Forever” by Greg Pocak and “The Five Love Languages” by Gary Chapman. I also got a lot ouf of “The proper care and feeding of husbands” by Dr. Laura, but I think it means more after your married so you might want to save it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back