I can see that. What led me to discover my husband’s porn use was his behavior - increasingly withdrawn, disconnected, etc. Nothing overt, all very subtle, but increasing very gradually over time. Pornography truly is destructrive.
That is really awesome. What a great picture of Christ-like love. I really can’t tell you how good it is to read something so positive.
Clem, thanks for your (name removed by moderator)ut too. Let me ask another question. I’ve never had an addiction, so it’s hard to comprehend what it would feel like. You said that the “addiction part” never goes away - but does it get easier? Does there come a point when you aren’t thinking about the addiction, battling the addiction, every day? Even now that all of you guys - Gordon, Bucket, TW, Clem - have turned away from the pornography and made such significant changes - do you still feel like you really have to be vigilant so the temptation doesn’t return?
You all have really made my week - reading all of your stories has been therapeutic, and that’s saying a lot because I have an awesome therapist! I’m continuing to pray for all of you!
I need to be more precise when I say the addiction never leaves. That is the attitude I must have to continue my conversion. Possible some day I will say I am not addicted, I don’t know, but it’s an accurate term to describe the state I was in, and the peril I face if I make bad decisions.
Yes I do have to be vigilant, but it’s not what I would call a fight anymore. I have been completely sober December 2011, and mostly sober for about a year and a half. Every positive step in conversion builds on the one before it, so that virtue can become more “automatic”. It’s simply practice.
My will and conscience were corrupted, so when I was in the throes of addiction, it was a huge agonizing battle to resist. I thought I was fighting something external, like trying to fight someone away with a club. Lust does have some external factors…the image I’m lusting after, I’m sure Satan is in there somewhere also. But lust and sin in general must be taken in and chosen…internalized, owned by the addict. Taken in to our hearts and wills and chosen. Then we become corrupted. My discovery was that I must surrender this battle, not participate in it, because I could not win it.
The battle is something like this:
temptation–desiring it-thinking about it-resistance-rationalizitions-acting out-shame-self loathing-despair. You get stuck in this battle, somtimes I would battle temptation for days.
Now it’s like this: temptation-desiring it-surrender to prayer-call an accountability partner-. I don’t try and fight it or think about the pros and cons, I know the whole thing is wrong and I go right to The Cross.
It’s like stepping off a cliff at first, you don’t trust what’s beneath you. You believe that if you pass temptation up, you are deprived of something. I’m thinking: “If I don’t indulge this temptation, I am really going to miss something I should experience. I will never see this girl walk by again, I need to participate somehow. Look at the beauty, I need to somehow appropriate that”
or at home:
“My wife and I have this opportunity to make love now, and if we don’t, an opportunity is lost forever. How could she have a headache?!!!”
After surrendering and stepping off that cliff a few times, I discovered that God is there to provide every good thing I need and more, if I will trust Him and give up the temptation, as well as the ugly battle that surrounds it.
So, as my will and conscience are gradually restored to health, united with God’s will, peace and joy and contentment begin to come back. Recovery is the greatest thing. We are all called to conversion and recovery from something, as an addict I was blessed to have my spiritual condition put right before my eyes.
Others are not so blessed, and may go a lifetime without a sense of their need for God.