Marriage Song

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ovis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Ovis

Guest
I’m super excited to be celebrating the Sacrament of Marriage this coming May. One of the members I sing with in choir suggested that I sing a song to my bride to be in connection with our Wedding Mass. If I did this, any ideas about what I might sing and when?
 
Sing a song to your bride at the reception.

The Mass is not a time for performances.
 
I’m super excited to be celebrating the Sacrament of Marriage this coming May. One of the members I sing with in choir suggested that I sing a song to my bride to be in connection with our Wedding Mass. If I did this, any ideas about what I might sing and when?
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. It is not appropriate to sing a song to your bride during the Mass because the Mass is not necessarily about you, it’s about God. It is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. The music needs to be directed to the Triune God, not to you nor your bride.

Unfortunately, well-meaning folks tend to use occasions like this as fodder for creativity. The Church is flexible in allowing the couple to choose the readings, even the prefaces and the vows. Music, though, has its parameters. While one can certainly choose music that is liturgically suitable and sacred in nature, mind you not religious, but sacred, the music needs to be in the direction (vertical) of the One to whom we are directing our prayer.

If you want to sing a song to your bride, do it at the reception, but, not at the Mass.
 
Ask your clergy what he can and can’t allow and work from there.
 
Ask your clergy what he can and can’t allow and work from there.
However, some of them may not necessarily know the norms for music, as there have been cases when some will let just about anything go. I know, I have have been a witness to this at many a wedding. Some have even invented their own rituals.

I realize that you mean well, but, the Church has a manner of conducting Her sacraments and liturgies, and a structure that is vastly, with all due respect, different than what the Protestant ecclesial communities do. While something may be permitted in a Protestant ecclesial community, it cannot be that way with the Church.
 
While this is not a magisterial document of the Holy See, this article provides some concrete suggestions for wedding music and it is from a reputable source:
I have helped plan quite a few weddings. The music chosen has always been in keeping with the authoritative documents of the Church.

I hope this article helps you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top