L
lotus_in_bloom
Guest
God said to be fruitful and multiply and St. Paul said that celibacy is just fine. Can anyone elaborate on the process of decision? To clarify I don’t mean being a nun.
Whoever denigrates marriage also diminishes the glory of virginity. Whoever praises it makes virginity more admirable and resplendent. What appears good only in comparison with evil would not be truly good. The most excellent good is something even better than what is admitted to be good.
I would love to hear a rationale for why celibacy would be a higher vocation… or see any evidence that we will be virgins in Heaven. I find such claims to be utterly baseless and without merit.Celibacy can be said to be ontologically the higher vocation (as we will be in Heaven…) and as you read in S. Paul and of course in the Gospels…
2349 “People should cultivate [chastity] in the way that is suited to their state of life. Some profess virginity or consecrated celibacy which enables them to give themselves to God alone with an undivided heart in a remarkable manner. Others live in the way prescribed for all by the moral law, whether they are married or single.” Married people are called to live conjugal chastity; others practice chastity in continence:
scborromeo.org/ccc/para/2349.htmThere are three forms of the virtue of chastity: the first is that of spouses, the second that of widows, and the third that of virgins. We do not praise any one of them to the exclusion of the others. . . . This is what makes for the richness of the discipline of the Church.
Celibacy is higher because it is more fully dedicating ourselves to God.I would love to hear a rationale for why celibacy would be a higher vocation… or see any evidence that we will be virgins in Heaven. I find such claims to be utterly baseless and without merit.
I agree with Jamal…we are each called to respond to our calling as best we can… there is no (or better said should be no) hierarchy associate with vocations.
How so?Celibacy is higher because it is more fully dedicating ourselves to God.
I agree both vocations are complementary, however, if not virgins what exactly do you imagine occurring in heaven?I would love to hear a rationale for why celibacy would be a higher vocation… or see any evidence that we will be virgins in Heaven.
Would you call celibacy for someone with homosexual inclination a “calling” or a “resignation”?Celibacy can be said to be ontologically the higher vocation (as we will be in Heaven…) and as you read in S. Paul and of course in the Gospels…
But only some are called to that vocation.
Intrinsically, the Church has always taught and will always teach that, in a certain sense, celibacy is a higher state than the married life, but I’m not best at explaining it. Still, most important is that we follow God’s Call for our lives. That is where we will find the holiness that God is calling us to embrace.Celibacy is higher because it is more fully dedicating ourselves to God.
I don’t really speculate about it… I definitely don’t know, but am sure looking forward with hope to the surprise!I agree both vocations are complementary, however, if not virgins what exactly do you imagine occurring in heaven?
The operative phrase in your statement is “in a certain sense”… Would love to hear more about that because ‘in a certain sense’ is much different than intrinsically or objectively.Intrinsically, the Church has always taught and will always teach that, in a certain sense, celibacy is a higher state than the married life, but I’m not best at explaining it. Still, most important is that we follow God’s Call for our lives. That is where we will find the holiness that God is calling us to embrace.
Agreed… In his last post he referenced an article in the catechism where it essentially says that one state in life is not superior to the other… All according to ones calling … Not a hierarchyOur Giraffe friend gave an excellent answer. It’s always a safe bet to go by what is in the Catechism of the Catholic Church and Holy Scripture.![]()
She stated it well, even though she did plagiarize.Agreed… In his last post he referenced an article in the catechism where it essentially says that one state in life is not superior to the other… All according to ones calling … Not a hierarchy
A calling. Because a celibate and chaste homosexual has picked up his/her cross.Would you call celibacy for someone with homosexual inclination a “calling” or a “resignation”?
I don’t want to veer of thread here, more than a hare, but there are some persons with SSA who can change or at least become attracted to the opposite sex and be happily married. Notice, I intentionally did not say how many.Would you call celibacy for someone with homosexual inclination a “calling” or a “resignation”?
Actually it does not say that, it talks about praising to the exclusion of others which is a serious thing as if marriage is not good then celibacy is not a greater good.Agreed… In his last post he referenced an article in the catechism where it essentially says that one state in life is not superior to the other… All according to ones calling … Not a hierarchy
I think first, it depends on why you are celibate. Celibate because you simply haven’t found the right spouse or celibate because you made a vow or conscience decision? If you made a vow or decision to be celibate, why?The operative phrase in your statement is “in a certain sense”… Would love to hear more about that because ‘in a certain sense’ is much different than intrinsically or objectively.