P
Prodigal_Son
Guest
slightly off-topic, but I can’t help it…
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/p480x480/996725_208125019337248_1540949171_n.jpg
slightly off-topic, but I can’t help it…
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/p480x480/996725_208125019337248_1540949171_n.jpg
I don’t know you, so how can I see you as anything?If you see me as disgusting, then yes, to you, I am a leper.
My own view on the matter is that I need healing, and I acknowledge that need. But I don’t find myself disgusting, only my sin.
I implied that I don’t.I don’t know you, so how can I see you as anything?
I asked if you saw yourself as a leper.
thank you for clarifying that.I implied that I don’t.
If you are a part of the 12 step SSA program it states that you should NOT share your addiction with your wife until you have progressed through a few of the steps, etc. I would look for a local SSA group, get the white book, and start working the steps.I am a joyfully married Catholic man with an ever-increasing number of children. From childhood, I have experienced a strong attraction to males, and this attraction has not ever really gone away. Unlike many men with SSA, I am also attracted to women, most particularly to my wife.
When I married my wife, I was in a place of great freedom, in terms of sexual sin. I was open with her about my attractions and my past, of course. Nevertheless, only three people (immediate family members) besides her knew my story, since SSA is most definitely a sinful disposition that loves to hide. Over time, little by little, I fell back into a pornography addiction after we were married. My wife knew something about this, but I only let her in partly. My attitudes toward myself became completely covered in shame.
Recently, God has been pulling me out of that mire. I’ve begun to pray for an hour daily, and spend time with my heavenly Father. (Men with SSA, in particular, need one-on-one time with their Dad!) I have come fully into the light with a number of brothers and sisters in Christ who are not my family members. It is SUCH a relief and a blessing that I don’t have to hide!
But, in some sense, I still do. Among single people, there are an increasing number of people with SSA who are fully open about their struggles and their commitment to live chaste lives. (I’m thinking of people like Wesley Hill and Eve Tushnet, among others). These people have helped to show me that an attraction is not shameful, that there’s nothing wrong with being openly broken. In the meantime, however, I find that our culture – even, to some extent, Catholic culture – has only one category for me: since I am married to a woman and attracted to men, I must be a closeted homosexual that is wreaking havoc on my wife and children.
This social judgment becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, I think. Society has a notion of you, and you live up to it.
But not when you have God’s light in your life. In God’s light, I have realized that my temptations are nothing to be ashamed of, and hiding them is just plain stupid. Ideally, I think, married men who struggle with same-sex attraction would be just as open with these struggles as married men who struggle with ogling women in advertisements. It’s not something you shout from street corners, but you would share it readily in the right circumstances.
As it is, I think there are testimonies out there from married men who struggled with SSA, but it’s always in the past tense: “I used to be attracted to men, but now my wife and I are the whole world to each other.” Yeah, right. (OK, maybe I’m cynical, but that just seems to neat and tidy an ending.)
I expect that some people will tell me something like this: Imagine you “went public” about this in some form, and your kids found out someday? Imagine how ashamed your wife and kids would feel to be associated with you? Do they deserve that shame?
But these objections miss the point! It’s not something to be ashamed of. It’s a temptation, like any other. Would you be ashamed if your children found out that you once wanted to shoplift something? That you once felt a strong urge to strangle a driver who cut you off? What’s the difference between these cases and SSA?
Thoughts?
Well, um, I shared my history of addiction about ten years ago with the woman I was dating, so I can’t quite get the cat back in the bag now.If you are a part of the 12 step SSA program it states that you should NOT share your addiction with your wife until you have progressed through a few of the steps, etc. I would look for a local SSA group, get the white book, and start working the steps.
For the record, Mr. Atheist, my wife got a kick out of your comment and the accompanying image.Sure. If it’s a same-sex marriage!
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
You ask a tough question. I’m not sure what the “right” answer is, but I would have to place myself in your situation to give an honest answer. Just curious, have you ever thought if your wife had SSA and came to you and revealed this and you were straight, how would you feel? This is only my opinion.I am a joyfully married Catholic man with an ever-increasing number of children. From childhood, I have experienced a strong attraction to males, and this attraction has not ever really gone away. Unlike many men with SSA, I am also attracted to women, most particularly to my wife.
When I married my wife, I was in a place of great freedom, in terms of sexual sin. I was open with her about my attractions and my past, of course. Nevertheless, only three people (immediate family members) besides her knew my story, since SSA is most definitely a sinful disposition that loves to hide. Over time, little by little, I fell back into a pornography addiction after we were married. My wife knew something about this, but I only let her in partly. My attitudes toward myself became completely covered in shame.
Recently, God has been pulling me out of that mire. I’ve begun to pray for an hour daily, and spend time with my heavenly Father. (Men with SSA, in particular, need one-on-one time with their Dad!) I have come fully into the light with a number of brothers and sisters in Christ who are not my family members. It is SUCH a relief and a blessing that I don’t have to hide!
But, in some sense, I still do. Among single people, there are an increasing number of people with SSA who are fully open about their struggles and their commitment to live chaste lives. (I’m thinking of people like Wesley Hill and Eve Tushnet, among others). These people have helped to show me that an attraction is not shameful, that there’s nothing wrong with being openly broken. In the meantime, however, I find that our culture – even, to some extent, Catholic culture – has only one category for me: since I am married to a woman and attracted to men, I must be a closeted homosexual that is wreaking havoc on my wife and children.
This social judgment becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, I think. Society has a notion of you, and you live up to it.
But not when you have God’s light in your life. In God’s light, I have realized that my temptations are nothing to be ashamed of, and hiding them is just plain stupid. Ideally, I think, married men who struggle with same-sex attraction would be just as open with these struggles as married men who struggle with ogling women in advertisements. It’s not something you shout from street corners, but you would share it readily in the right circumstances.
As it is, I think there are testimonies out there from married men who struggled with SSA, but it’s always in the past tense: “I used to be attracted to men, but now my wife and I are the whole world to each other.” Yeah, right. (OK, maybe I’m cynical, but that just seems to neat and tidy an ending.)
I expect that some people will tell me something like this: Imagine you “went public” about this in some form, and your kids found out someday? Imagine how ashamed your wife and kids would feel to be associated with you? Do they deserve that shame?
But these objections miss the point! It’s not something to be ashamed of. It’s a temptation, like any other. Would you be ashamed if your children found out that you once wanted to shoplift something? That you once felt a strong urge to strangle a driver who cut you off? What’s the difference between these cases and SSA?
Thoughts?
I just keep thinking about your question…I guess because it is so complicated.As it is, I think there are testimonies out there from married men who struggled with SSA, but it’s always in the past tense: “I used to be attracted to men, but now my wife and I are the whole world to each other.” Yeah, right. (OK, maybe I’m cynical, but that just seems to neat and tidy an ending.)
I expect that some people will tell me something like this: Imagine you “went public” about this in some form, and your kids found out someday? Imagine how ashamed your wife and kids would feel to be associated with you? Do they deserve that shame?
But these objections miss the point! It’s not something to be ashamed of. It’s a temptation, like any other. Would you be ashamed if your children found out that you once wanted to shoplift something? That you once felt a strong urge to strangle a driver who cut you off? What’s the difference between these cases and SSA?
Thoughts?
Really? Was Jesus ashamed of his temptations? Was Paul?Most temptations are something to be ashamed of.
Well, the question is not whether I want to reveal these things to my children. Of course I don’t! The question is whether talking about these struggles would be beneficial, and to whom. That’s an important question – but notice that we can’t ask it until the shame is gone. Look, though, I don’t feel a need to blab about everything I’m not ashamed of.Temptations like lust and masturbation and pornography certainly are not a temptation that I would want to reveal to my children, instead I would be asking God to send me His Holy Spirit to help me fight these temptations so that I may be worthy to stand in His Presence.
I wouldn’t think about myself, for quite a while. I would just listen to her, and be there for her. When I did think of myself, it might seem a bit strange, I suppose. But look, I understand how a person might find women attractive, since I find them attractive myself. And I wouldn’t think that she wanted a woman to replace me.You ask a tough question. I’m not sure what the “right” answer is, but I would have to place myself in your situation to give an honest answer. Just curious, have you ever thought if your wife had SSA and came to you and revealed this and you were straight, how would you feel?
Why? What does it change? I mean, I can see how sin changes things a great deal. But why does *attraction *change everything? It’s not like I was telling my wife I wasn’t attracted to her.If I were the wife of a man who informed me of his SSA, I would be crushed and hurt and I don’t see how the relationship could continue.
Thanks for your advice!The only advice I would give you would be to wait until your children are out of high school to reveal this to them, as they will ultimately carry a part of your cross with them, and high school is tough enough today, why make it more difficult for them. I’m sure they will still love you and always remember you will always be their daddy - nothing will ever change that.
Thoughts…yes…I am a joyfully married Catholic man with an ever-increasing number of children. From childhood, I have experienced a strong attraction to males, and this attraction has not ever really gone away. Unlike many men with SSA, I am also attracted to women, most particularly to my wife.
But these objections miss the point! It’s not something to be ashamed of. It’s a temptation, like any other. Would you be ashamed if your children found out that you once wanted to shoplift something? That you once felt a strong urge to strangle a driver who cut you off? What’s the difference between these cases and SSA?
Thoughts?
I am sure you know what the Catechism says…The tradition of the Church has understood the sixth commandment as encompassing the whole of human sexuality.
So what it is you are suggesting being public about is a tendency or desire.2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible.
2351 Lust
This tendency may lead to actions tthat would include the above…and in summary the Catechism mentions chastity and sin…2352 By masturbation
2394 Christ is the model of chastity. Every baptized person is called to lead a chaste life, each according to his particular state of life.
2395 Chastity means the integration of sexuality within the person. It includes an apprenticeship in self-mastery.
The summary mentions nothing of tendencies or desires only the sins…2396 Among the sins gravely contrary to chastity are masturbation, fornication, pornography, and homosexual practices.
Why did you think of persecuting me, why did you have thoughts of persecuting me, why did you have a desire to persecute me? No, Why are you persecuting me?..actions, not tendencies, temptations, thoughts just deeds.4and he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?” 5And he said, “Who are You, Lord?” And He [said], "I am Jesus whom you are persecuting,
None of these descriptors suggest thoughts, tendencies, temptations…just appearances by action or self belief. Are you any different and should we all not get to the point where we see ourselves as just another sinner?Least of the Apostles
Least of the Saints
Greatest of Sinners
In Romans Paul talks about the flesh, the desires to do what he wants but cannot and above says he struggled yet found strength. Are your struggles, my struggles any different?7Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me-- to keep me from exalting myself! 8Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. 9And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.
and Christ too was tempted but did not sin. We see in the writings of those that sinned and in particular Paul what caused him to overcome any struggle, ie grace and the deisre to live for Christ.10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’[e]”
11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.
I’m inclined to agree with this.I just keep thinking about your question…I guess because it is so complicated.
You state that SSA is a temptation and something a person shouldn’t be ashamed of…
Most temptations are something to be ashamed of.
Temptations like lust and masturbation and pornography certainly are not a temptation that I would want to reveal to my children, instead I would be asking God to send me His Holy Spirit to help me fight these temptations so that I may be worthy to stand in His Presence.
Jesus said to reconcile with your brother or sister before you worship, so you can offer a pure prayer.
Slight nitpicky comment: Scripturally, we are defined by our behaviors (though I agree, not our desires). Adulterers are identified by that actions. Worshippers are identified by that action. The only way we get free of being identified by our sins is that we bring those sins to the feet of Christ, and receive forgiveness.There is a Protestant/Puritan overtone to this approach so that you become your behavior. We are not our thoughts, desires or our behaviors.
But you seem to misunderstand my intention. When I was 13 years old, I did not know that I could receive help in the Christian community for my temptation and my sin. I felt irredeemable. If the gay pride movement had been around like it is now, I would have joined it – anything to escape the shame.So what it is you are suggesting being public about is a tendency or desire.
I don’t want a feeling of catharsis. I want the Church to be salt and light.I believe you have a desire to express your temptations and in doing so there is a cathartic effect and perhaps you should continue to do this in private in the confessional.
I think this would be beautiful. I know a priest who shared about his struggles with alcohol, and I thought that was beautiful.Imagine your parish priest, weekly speaking of all that they speak of and then telling the congregation weekly…I struggle with SSA or any other temptation for that matter.
Imagine the Bishop writing a teaching and discussing his struggle with SSA or any other temptation for that matter.
Why would you be scandalized by these things? I’m not saying they are necessary, but I sure wouldn’t find them awful. Admitting temptation does not make people think that it’s OK to yield to temptation.Imagine Pope Francis writing an encyclical and adding a struggle with SSA or any other tempation for that matter.
I think you might see more from Pope Francis, because sharing our brokenness can be encouraging. In fact, I think he *has *already shared a number of his own struggles with his flock, if you look closely. I know that he has admitted specific failings. I might check, and get back to you on this.When I read encylicals I have to believe that the Pope is human and is tempted and yet all I see is teaching, strengthening, encouragement.
Coptic,Thoughts…yes…
First, after having read all the postings I have a few. First SSA is not a sin. …
Personally, there’s no doubt I’d share this type of problem with my kids. My oldest is only seven, and already we talk about “Daddy’s bad habit”, by which my daughter means my tendency to get really angry.I’m inclined to agree with this.
Having said it, I will say that I have almost always thought of myself as a potential alcoholic. A number of my (Irish) ancestors were. I do recognize very clearly that I have the “wash down reflex” (an auxiliary body cooling mechanism) which people of Celtic descent tend to have and which at least one alcoholism institute says can be a predisposing factor to alcohol addiction. I do drink now and then, maybe one drink every three months. I’m not afraid of it on that kind of level. As I get older, I don’t even have the urge to inhale the first three beers anymore. As a young man, I did.
I have told my children that as a cautionary thing, because they might have the reflex themselves.
I really don’t think you have an accurate sense of my life, in this comment. I don’t have any problem in gender identification. I am probably just as attracted to women as the average man, and I certainly have a lot of romantic and sexual chemistry with my wife. I don’t present as gay, at all. And young people in today’s society don’t associate homosexuality or bisexuality as feminine – I mean, some guys with SSA are effeminate, but that’s largely a stereotype.But that’s a physical thing. I would tell them if my family had a history of heart disease. If I had SSA, I don’t think I would tell them that. Children have to go through a gender identification firming process. A big part of that is identifying or contrasting with their parents. As a parent, I would never want to tell them gender identity is something built on shifting sands. Being their father, they might think that’s the nature of one’s masculinity or femininity; a shaky business, whereas it really and properly is not.
Well, look, of course, my kids would learn about SSA before I told them about mine. And it’s not some awful thing for them to learn about. Do we shudder when we tell kids that some people want to kill other people? No, kids can understand something like that. Is this really so much worse?When they learn of the existence of SSA, it’s better that they view it from afar and not be forced, by family relationships, to think of it as normal.
Allberry describes to me how as a teenager his homosexual feelings conflicted with his new-found Christian faith. ‘I just felt that I was very dirty and that therefore other Christians might want to keep a distance.’ It was on hearing a liberating sermon that things began to change. ‘The pastor made a really big effort to say, “All of us are sexual sinners. There will be some who experience unwanted homosexual feelings. If that’s you, then you are not alone.” That was a key turning point for me.’
What’s most surprising is that despite continuing to feel same-sex attracted, Doherty is now married with three children. ‘I came to realise that labelling myself as a gay person, albeit a celibate one, wasn’t actually helpful because it restricted me into this identity. The turning point was choosing to believe that my sexual identity was “male” – and that’s what determines whether I could be married or not.’ In time, he found his feelings changed to the degree that he fell in love with Gaby, a female friend who had supported him throughout his journey.
And how does his wife feel about the fact he still experiences homosexual attraction? ‘In a sense it doesn’t bother her at all. Partly, she’s a tough cookie who’s able to make her peace with that. But all married people experience attraction to people they are not married to. There’s nothing inherently worse about those attractions being predominantly towards one sex or another.’
I’m puzzled. Are you saying that it was a bad idea for me to get married? Despite the fact that my wife and I are living rewarding lives together, despite the fact that we have a wonderful sexual relationship, despite the fact that are kids are blessed to have a stable and loving family?I really believe that this is the reason why people really need to discern what their vocation is - not everyone is called to be married and I’m starting to think that people who do have SSA are called to be single. I wonder if all those divorced people out there were called to remain single instead of marry?
Unfortunately, we live in a society that dictates that marriage and sex is the key to happiness. Boy, those that believe that are in for a big let down!
I found something for you that I would hope others would propagate. It does not necessarily reflect what it is you want to speak of however it is a model for what you want to do. You may be able to ask if you can include your story as a seperate section under the testimonies, etc…see what you think…I’m puzzled. Are you saying that it was a bad idea for me to get married? Despite the fact that my wife and I are living rewarding lives together, despite the fact that we have a wonderful sexual relationship, despite the fact that are kids are blessed to have a stable and loving family?
Are you still assuming my wife is crushed by knowing I also am attracted to men? I assure you, she is not. Would you like her to come on the forum, to reassure you?
Your post puzzles me, and kind of offends me. Can you explain your thinking more?
If you click on the button “read our stories” and then “written testimonies” I cannot imagine that anyone would not allow you to write whatever you want to write as you have done here and be effective…The testimonials presented here are authentic Voices Of Change; men and women who have experienced authentic change in their sexual orientation. Here, they speak for the many Americans and people around the world for whom homosexuality is not naturally inborn. Sadly, the causes of their homosexual feelings were by severe gender identity inferiority, unmet emotional needs, and/or emotional and sexual abuse, usually as very young children. The good news is that these men and women benefitted by the transformative power of sound therapeutic interventions by professional therapists. For some, spirituality played a role in their transformation as well.