S
SMGS127
Guest
Not to detract from the honesty and good will of your post, but I honestly don’t think anyone’s sexual orientation “changes.” Some people, like ProdigalSon, will have attraction to both sexes with one much stronger than the other for sure. In that sense, one can refrain from giving in to their natural urge to be with a member of the same sex if it’s stronger in order to live a Catholic life, either with someone of the opposite gender (if they have those attractions too) or not.I found something for you that I would hope others would propagate. It does not necessarily reflect what it is you want to speak of however it is a model for what you want to do. You may be able to ask if you can include your story as a seperate section under the testimonies, etc…see what you think…
voices-of-change.org/
If you click on the button “read our stories” and then “written testimonies” I cannot imagine that anyone would not allow you to write whatever you want to write as you have done here and be effective…
You may be able to find the audience you seek…![]()
On the other hand, I also think that there are those who have such a small attraction to the opposite sex that they will never be able to date someone of the opposite sex and be happy (though I must say that, as a woman with relatively low levels of OSA and with very strong SSA, I can still enjoy relationships with men that I have no natural lust for because they know how to make me laugh, etc.). My point is that, if we go to the gay community and throw so-called “ex-gays” in their face (I prefer the phrase “I used to act on same-sex attractions”) and act like they can change their sexual orientation, they’ll look at you like you’re crazy, because some of them have likely been forced to try to do so by their parents to the effect of great psychological harm as kids. And then after that, they won’t listen to a thing you have to say.
With that said, I agree with your idea that he should post online anonymously with the support of his wife and in a way that his kids won’t see it randomly. What strikes me most about PS’s story is that he recognized his SSA were well stronger than his OSAs but chose to date women anyway. Emphasizing that the choice isn’t on the sexual orientation but rather the behavior, and explaining that gay Americans CAN live Catholic lives (and even married lives!), makes the message much easier on the ears of the LGBT community.
Don’t think I’m trying to be hard on you; I’m not. I just have been stonewalled by so many of my gay friends since converting specifically because they have personal experience with the “pray away the gay” Protestants and/or [even worse] Catholics who disrespect their dignity as humans by treating their sexual orientation as a permanent corruption that makes them a bad person for life, regardless if they act on their impulses or not. Speaking the same language as the very, very Puritanical Protestant sects will actually drive them deeper into sin. Believe me, I saw it firsthand every day of my life for the last year of my undergraduate.
Tl;dr: we need to emphasize proper behavior while also emphasizing that we will always love them, and that they do not need to have opposite sex attractions to be Catholic.