Marrieds only! Before marriage did you seriously consider religious vocations?

• Thread starter Thread starter Binney
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a strong calling to become a priest, but it was when I was in Elementary/Middle School.

Once High School and College came, I got too worried about girls.

But God knows what He was doing…I have 2 beautiful boys and another boy that may come as soon as tomorrow, who may have that vocation.

40.png
amcalabrese:
I have told my wife is that (God forbid) anything happens to her, once ourr children enter college, I probably would take some sort of Holy Orders.
Ditto for me here too. Once, while we were dating I told her that if we broke up I was joining the priesthood. Well, we did break up for a time, but I guess I was just blowing smoke!

Maybe that was God telling me to go to the seminary. I didn’t go, so instead He gave me two (soon to be three) boys to get that vocation order filled from the Williams house.

Yep. At age 21. I spent 1 1/2 years in discernment, staying at two different seminaries three times. I’ve thought about that many times through the years. I am convinced that was God’s plan for me, if I would’ve accepted. I was pretty materialistic in my youth though, and couldn’t let go of the worldly things. It wasn’t about women. I was popular, well-dressed, handsome, etc, and it was just too much for me to give up.

I’ve had many trials in my marriage, and my mind has turned to that old saying, “The cross God would give you is lighter than the cross you will choose for yourself”. But I am also convinced that God has a back-up plan as well. I am called to be a certain kind of lay person, utilizing the gifts and desires He’s given me.

There’s a fire inside me that I haven’t figured out how to use in my life as a husband and father…still working on it.

My recommendation is that if anyone is truely troubled about the decision, as I sure was, give the religious life a try with prayerful consideration. You can always go on to have a family if discernment eventually finds you do not have that calling. And most of all, look at your reasons for hesitating…are those reasons of God? My reasons were not. Whereas my father, who studied to be a priest for 3 years, truely felt God called him to be a father.

Don’t misunderstand me though. I love my children more than I could have possibly imagined and truely respect my vocation as a husband and father.

I thought about it but honestly I was drawn more to a vocation of marriage and children from the time I was a young teen.

No, but then again I consider my marriage to be a sacred vocation.

i am presently in the time honored vocation of marriage and the raising of 4 children…

believe me, no cleric wants any of this…🙂

Yes…when I first enterred the Church…then I met my husband…He passed after 26 1/2 years…then I thought I would join a Third Order or something…
Met hubsband #2 and, though not considered a Third Order, became a cooperator in Opus Dei… a personal prelature within the Catholic Church where you can bring sanctity and apostolate in and through your ordinary work, using the traditional practices of the interior life.

No. I was Methodist and didn’t convert until after we had children. Even if (God forbid) something happened to my husband, I don’t feel a calling. I think I was meant to be married. God knew I needed someone to keep me in check. 😉

I still hope that one of my childen gets the calling though. It would be nice to have my son become a priest. 🙂

Yes, I wanted to be a Carmelite nun. I spent the summer of my junior year in high school living on the outside of one of their monasteries helping the extern. I loved it. What attracted me the most was the sacrificial nature of their life and their easy access to praying in front of the Blessed Sacrament. Well, I got married and have found that it is just as sacrificial in nature and I have easy access to prayer in front of the Blessed Sacrament at our parish church.

Mary Fran

No, because I was a Presbyterian until a few years ago. Although I must say I was always very interested in nuns as a child. Must have been all that Sound of Music and West Side Story that I watched. Well, no nuns in West Side, but that scene of Maria with the Mary statue in her room just fascinated me! 🙂 It never occurred to me that it was a “career option” as an adult.

I have three daughters so it will be interesting to see if any of them seriously contemplate a religious vocation when they grow up. My 7yo says she’ll marry (and wants to be “a Catholic singer”) and my 5yo says she’ll never marry (and wants to be a “ballet and swim teacher”). The 2yo is still undecided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back