Marrying a woman whos been divorced?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Keverlast
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually Scripture tells them to remarry. To marry and have more children and manage their households. St Paul to St Timothy in 1 Timothy 5:14.
Why do you feel it would be wrong?
I just don’t think I could do that. Not that I don’t think others should be allowed to, but me personally, I would feel like I’m committing adultery in my heart. My love for a woman doesn’t end when she dies, it ends when I die.
 
Aside from the church teaching, of which I am in full support, I would also like to add that the secular habit of marrying, divorcing, and remarrying has caused a great deal of stress in my life already, and is one I could do without in the future. True, I’ve met alot of nice people, but just the same, I could really do with a two-parent household at times. I certainly could do without the whistle-stop holiday season, in which I am expected to celebrate the birth of my Savoir by making a series of a half dozen public appearances, all of which include a full plate of fattening food.
 
I find your views quite extreme. But that’s just me;)
I do too. If that works for him, then fine. As long as he doesn’t expect that of others or judge them as less pure.
 
I just don’t think I could do that. Not that I don’t think others should be allowed to, but me personally, I would feel like I’m committing adultery in my heart. My love for a woman doesn’t end when she dies, it ends when I die.
That’s fine. Many widows do not ever feel the need or desire to marry again. As long as you understand that it is your choice and not think it is some kind of requirement to stay unmarried after widowhood, that’s all we’re saying.

And remarrying after a spouse dies does not mean that your love for her dies or is diminished in any way.
 
That’s fine. Many widows do not ever feel the need or desire to marry again. As long as you understand that it is your choice and not think it is some kind of requirement to stay unmarried after widowhood, that’s all we’re saying.

And remarrying after a spouse dies does not mean that your love for her dies or is diminished in any way.
Ok. Yeah I understand, I wasn’t trying to impose. I was just expressing how my own heart feels.
 
Aside from the church teaching, of which I am in full support, I would also like to add that the secular habit of marrying, divorcing, and remarrying has caused a great deal of stress in my life already, and is one I could do without in the future. True, I’ve met alot of nice people, but just the same, I could really do with a two-parent household at times. I certainly could do without the whistle-stop holiday season, in which I am expected to celebrate the birth of my Savoir by making a series of a half dozen public appearances, all of which include a full plate of fattening food.
Thanks for bringing this up. I think it is important to think about the fruit of this behavior. We see a lot of chatter (which is good) about post-abortive problems, but it has been awhile since I have heard anyone speak about the “habit” you mention. I have been married almost 26 years & it is not always easy, but I am thankful that we hung in there through the tough times as did my parents. When you get past 40, it seems like there is a group who decide to stay together, & another group who split for " greener pastures" that turn out in the end not to be so green (excluding abusive situations etc).
In my observation, you really are always married to the first spouse, civil divorce or not 🤷
 
In my observation, you really are always married to the first spouse, civil divorce or not 🤷
I agree with this. My family is practically a harem. My parents and step-parents are all best friends and spend all their time on the back porch drinking, gossiping, and conspiring against us. My mother and step-mother’s mutual friends call them the “sister-wives”, whatever that means.

I know I shouldn’t complain, because I know that it’s much better then having parents that hate each other and won’t get along at all. But I have to wonder, if we all get along this great, why did we need to get divorced in the first place?

Besides, my family’s situation is unique. Both my step-parent’s exs are complete nuts! No one wants them around, but it’s impossible to get rid of them. If you marry someone who’s got kids with someone else, you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of having to plan Christmas dinner around some other broad’s schedule, making sure your New Years party doesn’t conflict with hers, and let’s face it, the only time you’re ever likely to see “all the children together” at Easter dinner is if you convert to Orthodoxy and start celebrating it a week earlier. There’s no winning with divorce.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBuild18
So does that mean Catholic widows and widowers (or whatever the male is called) are not to remarry? Is this somewhere in scripture?

I sure hope so. That’s something else I’ve always felt would be wrong.
If your spouse is dead then you may remarry.
But if you are dead then you cannot remarry.
 
I just don’t think I could do that. Not that I don’t think others should be allowed to, but me personally, I would feel like I’m committing adultery in my heart. **My love for a woman doesn’t end when she dies, it ends when I die./**QUOTE]Many widows and widowers feel the same way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top