Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy
False. Those works are a result of faith. If you think you can do good works to merit your salvation, I want to kindly say that is not true my friend. Filthy rags, is what the Lord thinks of our “good works” in an attempt to merit salvation. Actually, I must believe all that the Bible teaches. The Church can go astray and the Bible predicts it; the Word of the Lord abides forever and never changes.
jmcrae>>If you believe all that the Bible teaches, then please read Matthew 25:31-46, and Matthew chapters 5-7 and believe that Christ meant what He said - that those who do not do His commandments cannot be saved - that those who say Lord, Lord without obeying the commandments that He gave to His Church must be consigned to the fires of Hell at the day of judgement.
**So you deny what I said above? Scripture would disagree with you. How many times do I have to explain this? The passages you are using are talking about people who did not have saving faith. Simple as that. Also, I find it odd that you stick to only the Gospels instead of Paul’s writings where he teaches that it is solely by grace through faith, not of works lest any man should boast. Why is that? Yet, you Catholics take a seriously out of context verse from Corinthians to “teach” purgatory?

**
Quote:
What do you mean Sola Fide denies the Church? Are you trying to say that the Church saves you?
The Church is Christ’s body on earth, and speaks to us with His authority, which was given to the Apostles and passed down to their successors, who are the Pope and the Bishops who are in communion with him. “Faith alone” denies that the successors of the Apostles have this authority. (In addition to denying at least half the New Testament, which calls us to obedience and to works of mercy in addition to our faith.)
**The Church does not save you though. THAT…is heresy. You are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. At that moment, He places you INTO the Church and seals you with His Holy Spirit (His guarantee to you that you have eternal life). Again, the Church does not save you and I urge you to rethink your position on the matter. It is of eternal importance.
Faith alone does not deny anything. I don’t know where you are coming up with this stuff. Again, I’ve already explained about faith and works (to which some Catholics and I have agreed upon). With all due respect, this is the last time I will explain it. **