I have been asked to present some teaching on Mary the mother of God using material that another catechist has prepared.
In the material 3 facts are given about Mary which are not found in Scripture I wonder where they come from and can they be regarded as fact.
They are
- Mary was the daughter of St Joachim and St Ann.
- She was pledged to service in the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem at an early age.
- In her early teens she was sent home by the Temple priests to betrothed to Joseph of Nazareth.
As this teaching is being presented as fact in a RCIA class I want to be 100% correct in what I present.
Can any one help:thumbsup:
God bless
The Protevangelium of James is truth with very many errors. Be very careful if you use this as a reference.
1) Mary was the daughter of St Joachim and St Ann
I agree with Tantum Ergo on this. Since the church has given us the feast of St. Anne and St. Joachim in July, you can take that one as being an accepted pious tradition. I pray to these Saints every once in a long while.
2) She was pledged to service in the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem at an early age.
I have strong doubts about this pledge of service even though many Catholics believe this as true. It was possible for women to serve in the temple. See Exodus 38:8 *“Moreover, he made the laver of bronze with its base of bronze, from the mirrors of the serving women who served at the doorway of the tent of meeting.” *So it appears that women could serve in some capacity. If she was not pledged (rather not dedicated completely) to service in the temple, Mary’s education came mainly from St. Joachim and St. Anne. I favour this latter position.
3) In her early teens she was sent home by the Temple priests to betrothed to Joseph of Nazareth.
It is possible, but I don’t believe temple priests were in control of Mary. Rather I believe she was in a family setting whose parents were extremely religious and who had close access to the temple. That’s a big difference. I don’t think the Mother of God took a vow of virginity either hoping she is the Mother of God. That’s not humilty to me. I hold the position that it was the desire of both St. Joseph and St. Mary to have children, otherwise you denigrate the sacrament of marriage. Her vow of virginity happened only after the annunciation by Gabriel.
St. Thomas Aquinas could be wrong, but he says.
newadvent.org/summa/4028.htm
THIRD PART, QUESTION 28 ARTICLE 4
Whether the Mother of God took a vow of virginity?
As we have stated in the II-II, 88, 6, works of perfection are more praiseworthy when performed in fulfilment of a vow. Now it is clear that for reasons already given (1,2,3) virginity had a special place in the Mother of God. It was therefore fitting that her virginity should be consecrated to God by vow. Nevertheless because, while the Law was in force both men and women were bound to attend to the duty of begetting, since the worship of God was spread according to carnal origin, until Christ was born of that people;
the Mother of God is not believed to have taken an absolute vow of virginity, before being espoused to Joseph, although she desired to do so, yet yielding her own will to God’s judgment. Afterwards, however, having taken a husband, according as the custom of the time required, together with him she took a vow of virginity.