Mary the assurance?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mordocai
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mordocai

Guest
I’ve thought this before and discussed it with a few friends last night. It made sense to them but they agree with me when I say it might be borderline. I don’t know if the Church teaches this or if it falls under the realm of speculation. Here it is. The thought occured to me once that perhaps another reason Mary was preserved from sin was because, in doing so, God was in a sense “guarenteeing” that Christ’s work on the cross would not be in a vain. Because in truth, it was possible, that every human being could have rejected Jesus and not been saved. Not so with Mary.
One problem I see with this is that well, what about the OT Saints? Elijah, Moses, everyone in the Bosom of Abraham/Fathers’ Limbo?
So I would like to hear your opinion. I just thought it was an interesting thought, but probably something the Church would ever promote.

If I haven’t explained it well enough, let me know.

God Bless,
Mordocai
 
Please expand your thinking on this. I think I understand where you are going with this but I want to be sure.

It may be pure conjecture but it sounds logical so far.
Pax tecum,
 
I think you’ve refuted your own idea, Mordocai, by citing the OT saints who were awaiting their redemption in Christ.

The thought occurs to me that God knew many would reject his Christ, but he also knew that many would come to faith.

Still, I don’t believe Mary’s belief/salvation would have been necessary in order to assure the effectiveness of Christ’s death on the cross, if that is what you are asking.

Even if no one in the world believed, including Mary, Christ’s redemptive act would still be there for anyone who desired to take avail of it to his salvation.
 
Della,
Yes I think I agree with you.
But yes, the OT Saints do refute it. So there it dies.

Theology is sticky stuff! lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top