Mary vs. Martha

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1inICXC
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
1

1inICXC

Guest
In the Gospel, Jesus says that Mary has chosen the “better part” by choosing Him rather than choosing household chores like Martha.

My question is, how can we be Marys? Are there any encyclicals or Magesterial documents that outline how much of the day should be spent with Jesus?

While we may often times argue that changing a diaper with love is “prayer” or being with Jesus, I do not doubt that Martha had the love of God in her heart while doing chores and yet, Jesus says Mary chose the better part.

It is inevitable that you may have to spend more time on less important things I.e Mass is more important than lunch, yet we need lunch every day but don’t get to church that often.

How do we strike a good balance?
 
Part of this is being truly presant to Jesus in the moment. It’s one of the reasons I believe it’s really AOK for parents to leave their children at home from Mass.

Mary didn’t pick the better way becuase she wasn’t doing housework, on the contrary, she picked the better role becuase she competely attended to Jesus without fufiling her own needs.

They lived in a time when a woman was to be seen and not heard, was to serve and not have a friendship with a man. Martha was doing what society taught. She was also doing what she felt was “right” and “good” on the other hand Mary met Jesus where He was.

That’s what we’re called to do, chores or not.
 
In the Gospel, Jesus says that Mary has chosen the “better part” by choosing Him rather than choosing household chores like Martha.

My question is, how can we be Marys? Are there any encyclicals or Magesterial documents that outline how much of the day should be spent with Jesus?

While we may often times argue that changing a diaper with love is “prayer” or being with Jesus, I do not doubt that Martha had the love of God in her heart while doing chores and yet, Jesus says Mary chose the better part.

It is inevitable that you may have to spend more time on less important things I.e Mass is more important than lunch, yet we need lunch every day but don’t get to church that often.

How do we strike a good balance?
Pray in everything you do.
 
purplesunshine;8586559]They lived in a time when a woman was to be seen and not heard, was to serve and not have a friendship with a man. Martha was doing what society taught.
Who really believes this?
 
errr. Please look in the history books…or even at modern Middle-eastern life. There was HUGE gender segregation.
The secular history books that are controlled by every left wing nut with a cause (like the militant feminist college professors who teach “Religious Studies”. )
 
The secular history books that are controlled by every left wing nut with a cause (like the militant feminist college professors who teach “Religious Studies”. )
Except I learned what I did from a conservitive monk at a highly orthodox Catholic college in a class named “Real Jesus, Real Savior: The Messiah through the Historcal Documentation” and from Scott Hahn.
 
Judith infiltrated an army garrison, took the general’s sword and cut his head off.

Is that the action of a woman whose culture told her to be seen and not heard, and who wasn’t to form friendships with men?
 
Judith infiltrated an army garrison, took the general’s sword and cut his head off.

Is that the action of a woman whose culture told her to be seen and not heard, and who wasn’t to form friendships with men?
I don’t know about you, but none of my friends have attempted to cut off my head with a sword. This is not really a staggering testament to such. That and we’re talking a whole different way of life (semi-nomadic) generations earlier.

Women and men did not mingle. Women who did were concubines.
Women also were cooks and made fine crafts. The would of been sellers and farmers. But not friends.

Women had alot of socilization benefits with other women that we do not enjoy today…including a ritual based on menses and communal gathering. As jews they were unclean. I am not saying they were beaten and shamed but that a opposite-gender relationship would be uncouth.
 
In the Gospel, Jesus says that Mary has chosen the “better part” by choosing Him rather than choosing household chores like Martha.

My question is, how can we be Marys? Are there any encyclicals or Magesterial documents that outline how much of the day should be spent with Jesus?

While we may often times argue that changing a diaper with love is “prayer” or being with Jesus, I do not doubt that Martha had the love of God in her heart while doing chores and yet, Jesus says Mary chose the better part.

It is inevitable that you may have to spend more time on less important things I.e Mass is more important than lunch, yet we need lunch every day but don’t get to church that often.

How do we strike a good balance?
I’m not sure that the Mary ,Martha story is dated. Martha wanted everything nice for Jesus, Mary stood by Jesus to listen to him.

Martha then complained about Mary sitting around while Martha did all the work (that happens currently, think of that come thanksgiving:D) Jesus, as I recall never told Martha to stop her work, and come and sit and chat. I think Jesus was telling Martha, Mary i*s *doing something important, she is listening to the Messiah.

Martha is still a saint after all.
 
In the Gospel, Jesus says that Mary has chosen the “better part” by choosing Him rather than choosing household chores like Martha.

My question is, how can we be Marys? Are there any encyclicals or Magesterial documents that outline how much of the day should be spent with Jesus?

While we may often times argue that changing a diaper with love is “prayer” or being with Jesus, I do not doubt that Martha had the love of God in her heart while doing chores and yet, Jesus says Mary chose the better part.

It is inevitable that you may have to spend more time on less important things I.e Mass is more important than lunch, yet we need lunch every day but don’t get to church that often.

How do we strike a good balance?
I believe Jesus hit the nail on the head when he said “Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things …” It was not that Martha tended to the household chores, it was her distressed attitude and anxiety over them; that everything should be just perfect or the evening would be a bust. Mary chose the “better part” because she had no hangups while listening to Jesus.

Sometimes I wonder if Mary had self-righteously complained to Jesus that Martha was not sitting at Jesus’ feet and listening, and Martha was content in her service out of love, that Jesus might have said the same thing to Mary … Just wondering, you know.
 
I believe Jesus hit the nail on the head when he said “Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things …” It was not that Martha tended to the household chores, it was her distressed attitude and anxiety over them; that everything should be just perfect or the evening would be a bust. Mary chose the “better part” because she had no hangups while listening to Jesus.

Sometimes I wonder if Mary had self-righteously complained to Jesus that Martha was not sitting at Jesus’ feet and listening, and Martha was content in her service out of love, that Jesus might have said the same thing to Mary … Just wondering, you know.
I am very much like Martha in this regard, and I need to hear this story A LOT. :o

I agree that the story could have been different. The problem is getting wrapped up in the stuff that really isn’t important. The things that Martha did could very well have been service out of love and it’s an appropriate way to behave if so. But if you’re worrying and anxious, then the focus isn’t where it needs to be - on Jesus.
 
Martha loved Jesus as much as Mary, thats why she was always serving him and others. Jesus just taught her that it was more important to listen to him and not be so concerned with cooking and cleaning. Mary could have helped Martha more, maybe then Martha would have felt she had more time to listen. Martha worried a lot…My favorite saint!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top