C
Catholicdeacon
Guest
Folks,
First some background:
Protestant bible (NIV):
“Your troops will be willing
on your day of battle.
Arrayed in holy majesty,
from the womb of the dawn
you will receive the dew of your youth.”
Catholic bible (Douay):
“With thee is the principality in the day of thy strength: in the brightness of the saints: from the womb before the day star I begot thee”
Now, I need some help. I’m getting ready to teach a class in my parish about scripture and I would like to give my students a list of passages which show these differences. Is there a book or a website with a list of all these differently translated passages? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Viva Cristo Rey!!
CatholicDeacon
First some background:
Code:
The fact that, the when the Masoretic text was composed many of the passages which the Church used to show Christ divinity were translated differently is well known. What is not well known is that since protestant bibles are based on the Masoretic translation, they display a less Christocentric picture on the OT than Catholic bibles (Which are based on the LXX) The best example I have encountered so far is Psalm 110:3
“Your troops will be willing
on your day of battle.
Arrayed in holy majesty,
from the womb of the dawn
you will receive the dew of your youth.”
Catholic bible (Douay):
“With thee is the principality in the day of thy strength: in the brightness of the saints: from the womb before the day star I begot thee”
Now, I need some help. I’m getting ready to teach a class in my parish about scripture and I would like to give my students a list of passages which show these differences. Is there a book or a website with a list of all these differently translated passages? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Viva Cristo Rey!!
CatholicDeacon