Mass Attendance for Palm Sunday

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicZ09
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CatholicZ09

Guest
Holy Week is the time of the year that churches get more pews filled. How was your attendance for Palm Sunday Mass this year? I went to the 5:30 p.m. vigil Mass yesterday evening, and there wasn’t that many people. I went again this morning at the 8:30 a.m. Mass, and the pews were pretty full.
 
Holy Week is the time of the year that churches get more pews filled. How was your attendance for Palm Sunday Mass this year? I went to the 5:30 p.m. vigil Mass yesterday evening, and there wasn’t that many people. I went again this morning at the 8:30 a.m. Mass, and the pews were pretty full.
about the same as normal attendance at my church pretty full but not packed.
 
I went to the Mass yesterday evening too…it was pretty crowded but not too bad. I can imagine that today morning it was really packed 🙂 It was a beautiful service by the way 🙂

God bless
 
more crowded than usual. Outside of Christmas and Easter Sunday, the most attended masses are the ones where we receive something-----Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday.:rolleyes:
 
Holy Week is the time of the year that churches get more pews filled. How was your attendance for Palm Sunday Mass this year? I went to the 5:30 p.m. vigil Mass yesterday evening, and there wasn’t that many people. I went again this morning at the 8:30 a.m. Mass, and the pews were pretty full.
There was the usual amount of people at my church this morning. I didn’t notice alot of people I’ve never seen before. Easter Sunday is when it’ll really be packed.

Which brings me to a topic that always annoys me. I can’t stand it when people who can’t be bothered to show up all year long show up on Easter Sunday and fill up the Church while alot of people who come every week will be turned away when the church is full. (They actually have the Fire Marshall there. When all the seats are taken everyone is hasn’t found a seat is sent away) I know that I’m not being charitable here…perhaps these people need to be at mass more than the rest of us who go all the time…but it’s just so annoying especially when you consider most of these people won’t be anywhere near a church again until next Easter.

Alot of synagogues actually issue tickets to paid members for high holidays. It costs alot to join a synagogue and it isn’t fair when people who pay to support the synagogue can’t get in on the high holidays because the people who only come once a year fill up all the seats. So they give tickets to the paid members…no ticket, no admittance.

Obviously, we can’t do this at church but again, it just annoys me to no end.

Sorry for my rant…hopefully many of the amateurs this year will be filled with the Holy Spirit and inspired to make mass a regular part of their lives.
 
Went to the 10:30. Full up - but you have to know that we add two extra Masses in the big gym, so figure without the 10:40 in the gym my 10:30 would have double the number of people at least.
 
As is to be expected (unfortunately) my local parish was also filled with people who only attend Mass a few times a year, usually when it means they will get something as another poster pointed out (i.e. Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday, etc.). I am glad that these people do at least come to Mass for these special days because* I hope and pray that the Holy Spirit will inspire in them a longing for weekly Mass and a realization that this is what is required of them if they are to honestly call themselves Catholics*. At the same time I couldn’t help but cringe when I look around and saw so many people who had been away from Mass for so long that they didn’t even remember the words to the Sanctus. And many of them as they went up to receive Holy Eucharist looked about as reverent as people standing in an all-you-can-eat buffet line. I cannot know what was in their hearts, so I hope I am wrong in how I interpreted their body language.

I tried very hard not to pay attention to anyone around me and to focus on what the priest and deacon were saying, but it was so hard when I was surrounded by people who were clearly only there to receive palms. Some were openly annoyed at how long the readings were today and not a few were looking at their watches in confusion because Mass wasn’t over in under an hour.😦

I prayed to the Lord to forgive me for my judgments and to help me to be more understanding. I also begged Him to forgive any of the parishioners in attendance who received Him today who were not in a state of grace. Again, I hope something stirs these people to deepen their faith and commitment to Christ, but at the same time I felt awful knowing that there were likely numerous people receiving our Lord with a less than loving heart. 😦
 
There were more people at Mass today, including a number of unfamiliar faces. Ours is a small church and when it’s full, it’s a very lovely thing to hear the added voices singing the hymns, and all the people receiving Communion. If only it were that way every Sunday. The responsorial psalm was sung by one of our male parishoners who has an awesome talent, and I had goose bumps, it was so beautiful, and not a cough nor a baby’s cry was heard throughout. Amazing. I love the liturgy and music, the incense, the Latin, the reading of the Passion this time of year. It’s a good time to be a Catholic!
 
Holy Week is the time of the year that churches get more pews filled. How was your attendance for Palm Sunday Mass this year? I went to the 5:30 p.m. vigil Mass yesterday evening, and there wasn’t that many people. I went again this morning at the 8:30 a.m. Mass, and the pews were pretty full.
Made the 6:30 a.m. mass this morning and we had a full house.
 
I went to the 11 am Mass and it was packed full with standing room only at the back, but that’s how it is every Sunday at 11, Praise the Lord!
 
To try to get more people in the pews this morning for the blessing of the palms, instead of the usual Sunday Mass, Saturday at 4:30 p.m., our pastor opted to celebrate instead a Saturday Mass (which we don’t normally have) at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday . I think it meant an extra 3 people at Mass this morning – certainly some of the Saturday regulars were absent (yes, I know, if they went last night they met their obligation). The church was 1/2 full at best. Most of the front pews were empty or had only one person in them.
 
We went at 9:30 this morning which was an EF Mass (Traditional Latin Mass). I would say there were about twice as many people there as we usually see at this Mass.

Our parish will be VERY full for Easter Vigil.

~Liza
 
At the 11 am mass, the church was fullpacked and i mean so filled as i never have seen it before. Normally it has a capacity at 400 brothers and sisters. Today i`m sure it was 500-550.

It was amazing and so good to witness.

👍
 
It was so nice to see all the college students and young parents out at Mass with their Moms and Dads this morning. 🙂

And my prayers go out to the struggling young mother who for some reason thought it would be a good idea to entertain her beautiful little boy by giving him a bright blue marker to play with. May she get the sleep she needs, to be able to think more clearly in the future.
 
Way more people today. I was prepared (slightly claustrophobic), arrived early and sat up front.
 
Our parish 8 AM mass was well attended, moreso than usual, and our 1030 AM mass was overly packed with people. It was nice to see so many people attend this morning.
 
the 9:30 am mass here was full as it will be next sunday(easter) after which it will slow down a bit.
 
I attended the 12:00 Mass and the Church was full. I arrived early to make crosses of a few palm fronds.
 
I went at 10am. We met in front of the church for a Gospel reading, to get palms and proceed inside. Across the street was a Pentescostal Church that was blaring this Gospel music while set up for something outside. It seemed very irreverent particularly on Palm Sunday. It could have been hard to focus if one wanted to be.

Once inside the church was full.

When we got out we saw what they were working on… wait for it… professional wrestlers. in a ring. with bleachers on Palm Sunday :eek:
 
I went to the 11am EF mass and although it was not packed there were more people than there usually are. I was happy to see the teens and babies.

I was actually surprised by the length of the gospel. It was hard listening to a long reading chanted in Latin.

Thank goodness halfway through, a congregant allowed me to follow with her in the English missal.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top