Mass exorcism outside of the Catholic church

• Thread starter Thread starter EliteDT
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EliteDT

My relative and her whole family though Catholic ( still is Catholic) has become obsessed with a protestant pastor called TB Joshua.

Questions: TB Joshua are known for mass exorcism. What are the church view on this ? And what are the church view on seeking help ( demonic possessions) outside the church?

I know the church teach that possession are rare, but in a country like mine where Catholic are a minority and few and the people here still use, experience and have a lot of supernatural items in daily basis, a lot of Catholics here would not go to the proper process of exorcism and would use different method because its faster and more accessible.

Last edited:
I think that he is imagining things, assigning powers to himself which are not biblical - find “mass exorcism” in scripture, for example, and which bear no resemblance to a genuine exorcism. He may be the spawn of Benny Hinn - who knows? He is therefore very likely employing psychological methods, gaining influence, and conditioning his followers to become attached to him and…

TITHE.

The Catholic Church uses exorcism on persons sparingly, on an individual basis, only done by priests (not some Protestant minister who is a layperson in the eyes of the Church) and only after doing proper checks to make sure that the person actually requires an exorcism and is not suffering from some other malady like mental illness or physical illness.

“Mass exorcisms” are neither done by or supported by the Church.
Some Protestant claiming to do “mass exorcisms” is obviously against Church teaching in many ways.
The vast majority of people attending his services likely do not need exorcism, and the tiny percentage that might need one are not going to be helped by his methods.

Last edited:
The term “exorcism” is sometimes strictly defined as casting out a demon from a possessed individual. Other times it can be applied to objects or relieving a person from diabolic oppression or obsession. Assuming the latter, an affect of oppression can be physical or mental illness.

Scripture tells us that demons may be cast out in Jesus’ name by non-followers. It also teaches us that Satan is the master of all demons and can cast them out in order to mislead people. If the people are indeed suffering from the diabolic, then one or the other is happening.

Considering TB Joshua is earning a huge personal profit from his efforts, the more likely scenario is that it’s all fake. Participants are paid actors. It has happened before.

a protestant pastor called TB Joshua.

Questions: TB Joshua are known for mass exorcism. What are the church view on this ?
Let’s see what the Bible says about exorcisms that are performed by folks who aren’t Catholic priests/bishops (see Acts 19):
some itinerant Jewish exorcists tried to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those with evil spirits, saying, “I adjure you by the Jesus whom Paul preaches.”

When the seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish high priest, tried to do this, the evil spirit said to them in reply, “Jesus I recognize, Paul I know, but who are you?”

The person with the evil spirit then sprang at them and subdued them all. He so overpowered them that they fled naked and wounded from that house.
I would recommend that they stay away from him; he could be bringing down evil on them all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back