Mass in Italy for convert-to-be

  • Thread starter Thread starter modlaw
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

modlaw

Guest
Hello. I originally asked this in “Ask an Apologist” but it was my first post and I don’t think I formed the title correctly. I am in RCIA and hope to be confirmed during Easter. I have been a Protestant for many decades. I am traveling to Italy in 2 weeks and don’t want to miss Mass. At my local church, I receive a blessing instead of communion. The blessing means a lot to me and helps get me through the week. I have read that not all churches will give a blessing during the Eurcharist. Do I take the chance in Rome and Venice and risk being embarrassed or should I just remain in my seat during communion? Thanks very much.
 
Hi,

I live in Italy, it is the first time I have heard of this kind of issue. I think you can approach the priest just before Mass ( or just after it) and ask him for a blessing, he will surely comply with your request. Probably the main problem will be the language, so get sure you will also use your hands to make you understand…

God bless,

Anna
 
Hello. I originally asked this in “Ask an Apologist” but it was my first post and I don’t think I formed the title correctly. I am in RCIA and hope to be confirmed during Easter. I have been a Protestant for many decades. I am traveling to Italy in 2 weeks and don’t want to miss Mass. At my local church, I receive a blessing instead of communion. The blessing means a lot to me and helps get me through the week. I have read that not all churches will give a blessing during the Eurcharist. Do I take the chance in Rome and Venice and risk being embarrassed or should I just remain in my seat during communion? Thanks very much.
I just came back from a trip to Italy (the Catholic Answers cruise 👍) and one of the speakers had his kids with him, the youngest is not able to receive communion yet. He went up every time with his arms crossed and knelt before the priest, but none of them gave him a blessing. I’m a convert too, I never went up for a blessing before my conversion. I think it’s a good time to get on your knees and pray that the time that you are in communion with the church and able to receive Our Lord in Holy Communion comes quickly. 🙂

And enjoy your trip! Italy was my favorite place!!! 😃
 
I will probably just remain at my seat. Especially, with the language barrier.
 
May I suggest to try? You may find it is not difficult at all. Priests are there to help. They may not understand that you want a blessing during the Communion, but they will surely understand that you want a blessing right on the spot.
If you want, you can learn these few words:
“Padre, mi dia una benedizione”
 
May I suggest to try? You may find it is not difficult at all. Priests are there to help. They may not understand that you want a blessing during the Communion, but they will surely understand that you want a blessing right on the spot.
If you want, you can learn these few words:
“Padre, mi dia una benedizione”
Thank you Anna
 
I am traveling to Italy in 2 weeks and don’t want to miss Mass. At my local church, I receive a blessing instead of communion. The blessing means a lot to me and helps get me through the week. I have read that not all churches will give a blessing during the Eurcharist. Do I take the chance in Rome and Venice and risk being embarrassed or should I just remain in my seat during communion? Thanks very much.
Talking to some folks from other countries it seems that going up for a blessing at Communion time is very much an American and Canadian thing. It is largely unknown in much of the world because, frankly, it isn’t part of the Mass

It is also a bit pointless if you think about it. The purpose of standing in the Communion line is to receive the Lord in the Eucharist. Those who cannot receive (because of not being Catholic, or because of mortal sin, or because they have nor fasted for 1 hour, or because they have already received Communion twice that day, or because of any other reason) should remain in the pew and make a Spiritual Communion.

There is no need to go up for a blessing at this point because in about 5 minutes time you are going to be receiving the blessing right where you are:

**Priest: The Lord be with you.
****People: And also with you.

** **Priest: May almighty God bless you, the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
****People: Amen.

****Priest: The Mass is ended, go in peace.
**People: Thanks be to God.
I will probably just remain at my seat. Especially, with the language barrier.
If you happen to be visiting Rome there is actually a parish there, St. Susanna, for Americans. All of the Masses are in English.

Either way, I wouldn’t be too concerned with embarrassing yourself. Americans are always embarrassing themselves in other countries. I think they have come to expect if of us. 😃 I hope it all works out.

James
 
How lovely for you!

Italy really is the heartland of Catholicism, so I hope you take time to soak in the spiritual riches as well as the artistic and material ones (the food and vino ain’t half good!)

In regards going up for a blessing - I do think it’s best, for the reasons the other poster has said, to stay in the pew and make a spiritual communion.

The communion blessing isn’t just just an American custom, I’ve seen it done in some churches here in Australia as well, but it isn’t the done thing everywhere.
 
Hello. I originally asked this in “Ask an Apologist” but it was my first post and I don’t think I formed the title correctly. I am in RCIA and hope to be confirmed during Easter. I have been a Protestant for many decades. I am traveling to Italy in 2 weeks and don’t want to miss Mass. At my local church, I receive a blessing instead of communion. The blessing means a lot to me and helps get me through the week. I have read that not all churches will give a blessing during the Eurcharist. Do I take the chance in Rome and Venice and risk being embarrassed or should I just remain in my seat during communion? Thanks very much.
It is not a matter “not all churches give a blessing” but rather a matter of those who do give a blessing violating the rules laid out in the GIRM to do so. It is not the parishes who do not “give blessings” during Communion but those who do that are in the wrong. The blessing at the end of Mass is for everyone.

Stay in your pew. You are blessed at the final blessing.

While in Rome, you can attend Santa Susanna, the English speaking parish in Rome. They have a website, simply google it. It’s a wonderful church.

In Venice, I’ve not been to Mass. I’m sure the tourist bureau can help you find one in English. Maybe some google searches.
 
The communion blessing isn’t just just an American custom, I’ve seen it done in some churches here in Australia as well…
Interesting. I have asked Catholics from France, Germany, Poland, Italy, Vietnam, and Korea and they have never heard of the custom. But, several people from Canada have witnessed or at least heard of it. Maybe instead of an American and Canadian thing it is more of an English-speaking country thing. 🤷

Regardless, even in the US of A it is far from the norm.

James
 
H
The communion blessing isn’t just just an American custom, I’ve seen it done in some churches here in Australia as well, but it isn’t the done thing everywhere.
It isn’t a custom at all, but a violation of the rubrics.

In fact, this question was presented to the Congregation of Divine Worship and they specifically ruled it is not to be done.

See here:

adoremus.org/0209CDW_Blessing.html
 
It isn’t a custom at all, but a violation of the rubrics.

In fact, this question was presented to the Congregation of Divine Worship and they specifically ruled it is not to be done.

See here:

adoremus.org/0209CDW_Blessing.html
Thank you for the link. I remembered that the practice was condemned and that it was not really covered in the GIRM. But, I couldn’t quite remember the right document.

James
 
Hello. I originally asked this in “Ask an Apologist” but it was my first post and I don’t think I formed the title correctly. I am in RCIA and hope to be confirmed during Easter. I have been a Protestant for many decades. I am traveling to Italy in 2 weeks and don’t want to miss Mass. At my local church, I receive a blessing instead of communion. The blessing means a lot to me and helps get me through the week. I have read that not all churches will give a blessing during the Eurcharist. Do I take the chance in Rome and Venice and risk being embarrassed or should I just remain in my seat during communion? Thanks very much.
You actually need to stay in your pew during Holy Communion, whether here or in Rome. The Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments issued these five observations regarding this matter:
  1. The liturgical blessing of the Holy Mass is properly given to each and to all at the conclusion of the Mass, just a few moments subsequent to the distribution of Holy Communion.
  1. Lay people, within the context of Holy Mass, are unable to confer blessings. These blessings, rather, are the competence of the priest (cf. Ecclesia de Mysterio, Notitiae 34 (15 Aug. 1997), art. 6, § 2; Canon 1169, § 2; and Roman Ritual De Benedictionibus (1985), n. 18).
  1. Furthermore, the laying on of a hand or hands — which has its own sacramental significance, inappropriate here — by those distributing Holy Communion, in substitution for its reception, is to be explicitly discouraged.
  1. The Apostolic Exhortation Familiaris Consortio n. 84, “forbids any pastor, for whatever reason to pretext even of a pastoral nature, to perform ceremonies of any kind for divorced people who remarry”. To be feared is that any form of blessing in substitution for communion would give the impression that the divorced and remarried have been returned, in some sense, to the status of Catholics in good standing.
  1. In a similar way, for others who are not to be admitted to Holy Communion in accord with the norm of law, the Church’s discipline has already made clear that they should not approach Holy Communion nor receive a blessing. This would include non-Catholics and those envisaged in can. 915 (i.e., those under the penalty of excommunication or interdict, and others who obstinately persist in manifest grave sin).
Because you are not yet Catholic, your situation falls under the fifth observation. Unfortunately, you have been misinformed by sincere, but, misguided individuals. The problem is that we line up to receive Someone (Jesus), not something (a blessing). The line is reserved only for those who are properly disposed to receive Holy Communion.

If you want an individual blessing, there is nothing that would preclude you from requesting the priest for one after Mass. Please bear in mind, however, that the blessing that occurs at its rightful place (before the end of the Mass) is applicable to everyone.
 
It is not a matter “not all churches give a blessing” but rather a matter of those who do give a blessing violating the rules laid out in the GIRM to do so. It is not the parishes who do not “give blessings” during Communion but those who do that are in the wrong. The blessing at the end of Mass is for everyone.

Stay in your pew. You are blessed at the final blessing.

While in Rome, you can attend Santa Susanna, the English speaking parish in Rome. They have a website, simply google it. It’s a wonderful church.

In Venice, I’ve not been to Mass. I’m sure the tourist bureau can help you find one in English. Maybe some google searches.
You can go to the Cathedral of St. Mark’s (San Marco) in Venice. It’s the one at the huge piazza that is one of the most widely photographed parts of Venice.
 
Very interesting, I learned something new.
In any case, apart from the spiritual Communion and the final blessing at the end of the Mass, if one desires an individual blessing from the priest, one can approach him anytime outside the Mass and ask him for that without any embarrassment because it is a common practise here.
 
It isn’t a custom at all, but a violation of the rubrics.

In fact, this question was presented to the Congregation of Divine Worship and they specifically ruled it is not to be done.

See here:

adoremus.org/0209CDW_Blessing.html
Being a custom that is in violation of the rubrics makes it nonetheless a custom - its liceity or validity doesn’t change the fact that it fits the definition of the word ‘custom’, at least in some places where it is done.

My apologies, though, I was labouring under the mistaken impression that a previous poster had already pointed out that it was a violation of the rubrics. On rereading the thread I find it ain’t so. That’ll learn me to pay better attention in future 😊
 
Being a custom that is in violation of the rubrics makes it nonetheless a custom - its liceity or validity doesn’t change the fact that it fits the definition of the word ‘custom’, at least in some places where it is done.

My apologies, though, I was labouring under the mistaken impression that a previous poster had already pointed out that it was a violation of the rubrics. On rereading the thread I find it ain’t so. That’ll learn me to pay better attention in future 😊
Actually, it is a violation of the rubrics because you are not supposed to add anything to the Mass. This “custom”, as ilicit as it is, adds something to the Mass that is not found in the GIRM.
 
Actually, it is a violation of the rubrics because you are not supposed to add anything to the Mass. This “custom”, as ilicit as it is, adds something to the Mass that is not found in the GIRM.
BG, I never said it wasn’t a violation of the rubrics. On the contrary, I said that it’s a custom (no need for the quote marks, it truly is a custom) that IS in violation of the rubrics.

I also said (or meant to say) that on rereading the thread I find that previous posters didn’t point it out as a violation of the rubrics, and that I mistakenly thought they had.

Apologies for any confusion. :tiphat:
 
Thought I would post an update. We are back from Italy. I visited many beautiful Catholic churches. Something really great happened. My wife went to her first confession in 30 years at St. Peter’s Basilica. Then, went to her first communion in as many years at St. Mark’s in Venice. I am sooo envious ( is that a sin?).
 
Well, you wanted your own blessing while in Italy…and you got it. I like when God gives much more than we expect.

Anna
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top