Mass no-nos

  • Thread starter Thread starter milkbar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Phemie, I’ve observed exactly one other communion service (also during my adoration hour). That one was short, about five minutes, and the woman conducting it didn’t read scripture, didn’t do a “reflection,” and didn’t say any of the priest’s prayers. So, my universe of observation is small.

So, Father David, exactly how does one go about informing the bishop? Without jumping off the cliff consequently, so to speak.
GwenL,
Being a catechumen (or candidate? I recall that you’re in RCIA) you’re in a rather difficult position. For something like this (serious, but not that serious) you’d be better talking to someone who’s already Catholic and maybe “knows the ropes” a bit. If you know someone who knows the director of Liturgy for the diocese, that would be a good route to take. FIRST of all, though, someone should address this to the pastor–and again, I would say not you because you are in RCIA and that could put you into a difficult spot. Since these services are scheduled, and announced in the bulletin, we already know that the pastor thinks this is all right–that makes things a bit harder. I would say try talking to someone who’s already Catholic and a member of that parish. Someone you trust and let that person do the “contact the pastor and if necessary bring it up with the diocese” part.
 
Folks, I’m new at this, still in RCIA, so patience, please.

Our parish has Mass every day at 9:00 a.m. (MTThF) or 5:30 p.m. (Weds) plus Sat vigil and four Masses on Sunday. We also have communion service at 5:30 p.m. every day (MTThF) and 9:00 a.m. (W), …
Another question about the nature of the communion service. We have perpetual adoration from 6 a.m. until 10 p.m. daily; I have the hour from 5-6 p.m. on Monday👍. This week, I was at a loss when a woman walked in and started a communion service with about five parishoners… …
Well, I’m glad to hear that my instincts of discomfort were right.

This was the scheduled communion service. There’s one every weekday, this was the Monday service.

"
Phemie, I’ve observed exactly one other communion service (also during my adoration hour). That one was short, about five minutes, and the woman conducting it didn’t read scripture, didn’t do a “reflection,” and didn’t say any of the priest’s prayers. So, my universe of observation is small.
It sounds like you are saying that you observed only two of these regularly scheduled “Communion Services” during your hour of adoration. Something doesn’t quite add up. From what you have posted, you should be observing a communion service every time you go to your hour of adoration.
 
Excuse me, Zab, for not supply the entirety of my life story for you :cool:

I think I did start off by saying that I was in RCIA and new at this. I also said that I had a very limited universe of observation. I’ve had this adoration hour for a five Monday afternoons, starting in late November. Of those five, one was cancelled (heavy snow all morning wiped out the church parking lot). At two of the five, there was no communion service given. A person showed up and asked me (I was the only person in the tabernacle area) if I was there for communion service, to which I answered “no.” After waiting a few minutes, she left. At two of the five Mondays, the communion services happened as I described.

Communion service is scheduled in the bulletin as I stated. Apparently, if there is nobody requesting communion, the service is not held.

Enough detail for you, or do you need more? Does it “add up” now?

Did you think that I was making this up?
 
A “communion service” is a liturgy that has no priest.

It’s so that the people can still receive Holy Communion, even though there isn’t a priest available. I’m not sure what the rules are on these, but it seems to me that they shouldn’t be taking place so frequently that they would actually be scheduled in the Bulletin. Something seems “wrong” about that.

Your question about the priest giving the sign of the peace has been answered - it’s because the priest has already exchanged a greeting of peace with the whole congregation.
well, at my parish, it’s scheduled into the parish bulletin. Mondays, wednesdays, and Fridays are Mass days; Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturday mornings are “communion service” days…no priest available.
 
Excuse me, Zab, for not supply the entirety of my life story for you :cool:

I think I did start off by saying that I was in RCIA and new at this. I also said that I had a very limited universe of observation. I’ve had this adoration hour for a five Monday afternoons, starting in late November. Of those five, one was cancelled (heavy snow all morning wiped out the church parking lot). At two of the five, there was no communion service given. A person showed up and asked me (I was the only person in the tabernacle area) if I was there for communion service, to which I answered “no.” After waiting a few minutes, she left. At two of the five Mondays, the communion services happened as I described.

Communion service is scheduled in the bulletin as I stated. Apparently, if there is nobody requesting communion, the service is not held.

Enough detail for you, or do you need more? Does it “add up” now?

Did you think that I was making this up?
GwenL,
I did not believe that you were making anything up. I believed you when you said that you were in RCIA and new at this and when you said that you had "a very limited universe of observation. All of what you have described sounds troubling to me. I think someone (even you) should ask what is going on and why.
(By the way- it’s zab not Zab)
 
zab, I’m not following you here:
I think someone (even you) should ask what is going on and why
Isn’t that exactly what I did when I posted the question?

If you read the entire thread, you would see that I posted details of what happened, said that it felt wrong to me, and asked if it was indeed wrong.
 
zab, I’m not following you here:

Isn’t that exactly what I did when I posted the question?

If you read the entire thread, you would see that I posted details of what happened, said that it felt wrong to me, and asked if it was indeed wrong.
I’m simply agreeing with you. I seem to recall another poster saying that it may be more of a problem for you to question this (perhaps that was in reference to writing to the bishop) and I’m just thinking that who better to ask the question than you who are studying about the Catholic faith right now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top