Mass While Long Distance Hiking

  • Thread starter Thread starter guitar6463
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guitar6463

Guest
Good afternoon!
Code:
 This is a question that I have been thinking about for awhile now. I want to hike the Pacific Crest Trail in the upcoming years. It is a 2500+ mile trail on the West Coast. Because of the incredible length, it would take 5 to 6 months to complete. During that time, there would not be the opportunity to make it to Mass every Sunday as a large majority of the trail is in the remote wilderness.

 I know if there is absolutely NO way one can make it to Mass it is not wrong. However, would it be wrong to undertake this hiking trip knowing full well that I won't be able to make it to Mass every Sunday?
 
You will need to discuss this with your priest and obtain a dispensation for missing Mass.

No - it is not wrong to take the trip. You just need to make sure you make proper arrangements.

~Liza
 
Catechism:

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.119 Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.
 
Catechism:

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.119 Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

scborromeo.org/ccc/ccc_toc.htm
 
Good afternoon!
Code:
 This is a question that I have been thinking about for awhile now. I want to hike the Pacific Crest Trail in the upcoming years. It is a 2500+ mile trail on the West Coast. Because of the incredible length, it would take 5 to 6 months to complete. During that time, there would not be the opportunity to make it to Mass every Sunday as a large majority of the trail is in the remote wilderness.

 I know if there is absolutely NO way one can make it to Mass it is not wrong. However, would it be wrong to undertake this hiking trip knowing full well that I won't be able to make it to Mass every Sunday?
You will need to discuss this with a young, adventurous priest, pack enough bread and wine, and take him with you :D:thumbsup:
 
You will need to discuss this with a young, adventurous priest, pack enough bread and wine, and take him with you :D:thumbsup:
Yes. Talk to a priest…but also maybe give some homework, give some love to planning to make Masses for those cases where it is still possible, not just easy to do it, where with a bit of extra sacrifice you could still, barely make Mass. A little planning, a little extra walking, offer that work, that love, to the Lord when you arrive on Sunday. Offer the effort for some great cause…those who live under persecution, those who live hours from priests, parents with handicapped children.

That way you can convert such a situation into one that has eternal benefit, rather than just missing a Mass.
 
Good afternoon!
Code:
 This is a question that I have been thinking about for awhile now. I want to hike the Pacific Crest Trail in the upcoming years. It is a 2500+ mile trail on the West Coast. Because of the incredible length, it would take 5 to 6 months to complete. During that time, there would not be the opportunity to make it to Mass every Sunday as a large majority of the trail is in the remote wilderness.

 I know if there is absolutely NO way one can make it to Mass it is not wrong. However, would it be wrong to undertake this hiking trip knowing full well that I won't be able to make it to Mass every Sunday?
They did a survey and it turns out a lot of yound priests love hiking, perhaps if you planned the trip far enough in advance you could have a priest with you.
 
If not a Catholic Church, I bet you can find some Protestant Churches in the remote areas. And they are better than nothing. At least try to find something.
 
I was a Scoutmaster while I was in the military (40+ years ago). The local priest who ministered to us at the radar site gave me and all the Catholic Scouts a dispensation for a weekend backpacking trip. This was post-Vatican II (barely), so I don’t think the rules have changed.
 
You will need to discuss this with a young, adventurous priest, pack enough bread and wine, and take him with you :D:thumbsup:
Great answer. I see the hikers every spring and was speaking with someone a while back about this very issue. Mass on the trail at various points would be amazing. Can a priest consecrate a tree stump as an altar?
 
Mass on the trail at various points would be amazing. Can a priest consecrate a tree stump as an altar?
Your question got me to wondering how priests in the military, who are sometimes out in the field with the troops, handle Mass.

It seems they use a modified altar cloth called a “Greek corporal.” The cloth has a relic sewn into it, so that it can take the place of an altar stone.

This is from Denver’s archdiocesan newspaper
“Overseas it was quite common (to say Mass in the field),” he said “If our troops were out in the field, we’d go out there and say Mass.”
Each military priest’s Mass kit included a Greek corporal that served as a portable altar stone.
“There were (saint) relics sewn into it,” he said. “So it was the same principle as a church cornerstone or altar stone that (historically) contained the relics of at least one martyr.”
He recalled seeing photos of priests setting up altars on the front ends of Jeeps during World War II and the Korean War.
archden.org/index.cfm/ID/8566
 
Have you read High Adventure of Eric Ryback? He hiked PCT border to border in the 1970’s.

Since you’d likely be detouring into Yosemite Valley to replenish your food, be aware that there is a parish there, with a resident priest!
 
Great answer. I see the hikers every spring and was speaking with someone a while back about this very issue. Mass on the trail at various points would be amazing. Can a priest consecrate a tree stump as an altar?
Definitely! You need to put a cloth on it though.
 
I don’t know the specifics, but back in the day I knew plenty of Catholics who hiked the Pacific Crest Trail. There have been lots of Catholics there before you, and I’m sure lots of them were observant, so I’m sure you will be able to find answers without too much trouble.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top