Masturbation

  • Thread starter Thread starter asdfgh
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but as my screen name declares I have been out of the loop for some time. So *masturbation *is considered a mortal sin…just like murder!? Peace.
Yes. Do your research on the spiritual and physical consequences that masturbation can have, do your research on the criteria that the Church applies to mortal sin, do your research on the Mercy of God, then come back with a more educated frame of mind, so that you avoid silly posts like the one above, that contribute nothing and serve only to stir the pot.
 
Yes. Do your research on the spiritual and physical consequences that masturbation can have, do your research on the criteria that the Church applies to mortal sin, do your research on the Mercy of God, then come back with a more educated frame of mind, so that you avoid silly posts like the one above, that contribute nothing and serve only to stir the pot.
My most insincere apologies for being ‘silly’ and actually asking a question. I must have misread what I saw as hundreds of other posts apparently also asking questions or maybe they were simply not ‘silly’. Almost everyone else on this site has treated me with the utmost respect as a visitor and a guest. I now know that not everyone has that same grace.
 
My most insincere apologies for being ‘silly’ and actually asking a question. I must have misread what I saw as hundreds of other posts apparently also asking questions or maybe they were simply not ‘silly’. Almost everyone else on this site has treated me with the utmost respect as a visitor and a guest. I now know that not everyone has that same grace.
Possibly because you didn’t ask silly questions in their threads? 🤷 The nature and tone of your question was uncharitable and flippant. If that wasn’t your intention, then I apologize, but it surely sounded like sarcasm to me. At the very least, you might think about how your post is going to sound to a reader on the other side before you submit it.

As it stands, the answer to your question is “yes.”
 
Possibly because you didn’t ask silly questions in their threads? 🤷 The nature and tone of your question was uncharitable and flippant. If that wasn’t your intention, then I apologize, but it surely sounded like sarcasm to me. At the very least, you might think about how your post is going to sound to a reader on the other side before you submit it.

As it stands, the answer to your question is “yes.”
I think that you were looking for ‘tone’. MtnDweller apparently (and most appreciatively) understood and answered my question. Peace.
 
I don’t think it’s wrong in moderation! Excessive porno is a sin (and an exploitation of both men and women nowadays), but wouldn’t you agree that masturbation beats going out and raping someone? :eek:
And psychologists say this removes stress. Perhaps sexual tension.:shrug:any way I have problems with this too and I think every situation has to be looked at and determined as to what the problem is. Although we all know it’s a problem. Myself I don’t do it so much as I get a kick out of it but becauase I will have wet dreams if I don’t. I think the catechism says this can be a complicated matter as to simply say it’s a grave matter period.
 
CHAPTER 13 – On Resisting Temptations [The Imitation of Christ]

So long as we live in this world, we cannot remain without trial and temptation: as Job says, “Man’s life on earth is a warfare.” We must therefore be on guard against temptations, and watchful in prayer, that the Devil find no means of deceiving us; for he never rests, but prowls around seeking whom he may devour. No one is so perfect and holy that he is never tempted, and we can never be secure from temptation.

Although temptations are so troublesome and grievous, yet they are often profitable to us, for by them we are humbled, cleansed, and instructed. All the Saints endured manly trials and temptations, and profited by them; but those who could not resist temptations became reprobate, and fell away. There is no Order so holy, nor place so secluded, where there are no troubles and temptations.

No man can be entirely free from temptation so long as he lives; for the source of temptation lies within our own nature, since we are born with an inclination towards evil. When one temptation or trial draws to a close, another takes its place; and we shall always have something to fight, for man has lost the blessing of original happiness. Many try to escape temptations, only to encounter them more fiercely, for no one can win victory by flight alone; it is only by patience and true humility that we can grow stronger than all our foes.

The man who only avoids the outward occasions of evil, but fails to uproot it in himself, will gain little advantage. Indeed, temptations will return upon him the sooner, and he will find himself in a worse state than before. Little by little and by patient endurance you will overcome them by God’s help, better than by your own violence and importunity. Seek regular advice in temptation, and never deal harshly with those who are tempted, but give them such encouragement as you would value yourself.

The beginning of all evil temptation is an unstable mind and lack of trust in God. Just as a ship without a helm is driven to and fro by the waves, so a careless man, who abandons his proper course, is tempted in countless ways. Fire tempers steel, and temptation the just man. We often do not know what we can bear, but temptation reveals our true nature. We need especially to be on our guard at the very onset of temptation, for then the Enemy may be more easily overcome, if he is not allowed to enter the gates of the mind: he must be repulsed at the threshold, as soon as he knocks. Thus the poet Ovid writes, “Resist at the beginning; the remedy may come too late.” For first there comes into the mind an evil thought: next, a vivid picture: then delight, and urge to evil, and finally consent. In this way the Enemy gradually gains complete mastery, when he is not resisted at first. And the longer a slothful man delays resistance, the weaker he becomes, and the stronger his enemy grows against him.

Some people undergo their heaviest temptations at the beginning of their conversion; some towards the end of their course; others are greatly troubled all their lives; while there are some whose temptations are but light. This is in accordance with the wisdom and justice of God’s ordinance, who weighs the condition and merits of every man, and disposes all things for the salvation of those whom He chooses.

We must not despair, therefore, when we are tempted, but earnestly pray God to grant us his help in every need. For, as Saint Paul says, “With the temptation, God will provide a way to overcome it, that we may be able to bear bear it.” So, let us humble ourselves under the hand of God, in every trial and trouble, for He will save and raise up the humble in Spirit. In all these trials, our progress is tested; in them great merit may be secured, and our virtue become evident. It is no great matter if we are devout and fervent when we have no troubles; but if we show patience in adversity, we can make great progress in virtue. Some are spared severe temptations, but are overcome in the lesser ones of every day, in order that they may be humble, and learn not to trust in themselves, but to recognize their frailty.
The Imitation Of Christ is such a spiritual classic in that things are presented in a way that each and every statement is nourishing food meant to convey spiritual wisdom in the trials of temptation!
 
And psychologists say this removes stress. Perhaps sexual tension.:shrug:any way I have problems with this too and I think every situation has to be looked at and determined as to what the problem is. Although we all know it’s a problem. Myself I don’t do it so much as I get a kick out of it but becauase I will have wet dreams if I don’t. I think the catechism says this can be a complicated matter as to simply say it’s a grave matter period.
Wait, did you just say that the reason you masturbate is to stop wet dreams!?! I am a 19 year old male and because I don’t masturbate, I get about two nocturnal emissions (colloquially known as wet dreams) per week. Yes they are a pain in the butt, but that in no way means that I should masturbate instead. Wet dreams are perfectly natural and should be seen as a good thing, because your body is performing normally. Wet dreams are a part of being a single man. Do not allow yourself to fall into the temptation of justifying your bad habits.
 
Wait, did you just say that the reason you masturbate is to stop wet dreams!?! I am a 19 year old male and because I don’t masturbate, I get about two nocturnal emissions (colloquially known as wet dreams) per week. Yes they are a pain in the butt, but that in no way means that I should masturbate instead. Wet dreams are perfectly natural and should be seen as a good thing, because your body is performing normally. Wet dreams are a part of being a single man. Do not allow yourself to fall into the temptation of justifying your bad habits.
Great answer 👍
 
Wait, did you just say that the reason you masturbate is to stop wet dreams!?! I am a 19 year old male and because I don’t masturbate, I get about two nocturnal emissions (colloquially known as wet dreams) per week. Yes they are a pain in the butt, but that in no way means that I should masturbate instead. Wet dreams are perfectly natural and should be seen as a good thing, because your body is performing normally. Wet dreams are a part of being a single man. Do not allow yourself to fall into the temptation of justifying your bad habits.
Two wet dreams a week huh. Do you need to change your sheets or completely wash out your underwear? A pain is an understatement.

B
 
Two wet dreams a week huh. Do you need to change your sheets or completely wash out your underwear? A pain is an understatement.

B
Well, this is off-topic, but I generally wash my sheets every couple of weeks. I don’t care about a couple of spots; they are dry by the time I go to bed the next night. I am used to dirty underwear in the morning. The only time it becomes a real hassle is when I am staying at someone else’s house. Now, that is awkward. But this aspect of being a male would not be seen as abnormal if the rest of society did not preach the wonders of self-stimulation. Everyone would have to do what I have to do. It is normal. Hopefully they will slow down as I get older, but even then, it is far easier to deal with these than becoming addicted to masturbation, and the pains, in this life and the next, associated with it.
 
The Imitation Of Christ is such a spiritual classic in that things are presented in a way that each and every statement is nourishing food meant to convey spiritual wisdom in the trials of temptation!
Very good. I like that. You say for the salvation of “those whom he chooses”. I believe that god is not willing that any should perish:Dand god’s will is immutable.
 
I’m not sure if this is posted in the right sections of these forums but, I’m a 19 year old male. I started masturbating when I sort of fell away from the church in High School. I came back to the church and to God about a year and a half ago and have been struggling for the same amount of time to quit masturbating. I can’t seem to ever quit though I guess I’m just addicted to this sin. The longest I’ve went is like 2 months and in the end something happens and I wind up doing it. I know that its a sin and I know that pornography is a sin. I’ve been to confession multiple times and have confessed those sins and I try to stay busy and read the Bible and pray but I just can’t seem to stop doing it. I really do want to quit but I always have the thought that like I know that I’m not going to be able to quit so why bother and end up just giving into my temptations. I guess I just need some advice because it seems like no matter how hard I try I always end up going back to it.

thanks
A couple of things:
  1. Don’t beat yourself up about this one. Many, many (I can safely say most) people struggle with this.
  2. That being said, don’t give up the fight.
The Catechism points out that masturbation is generically a mortal sin (it is grave matter), but that culpability may be lessened because of the compulsive aspect of this sin (which may lower it to the level of venial sin). It’s like the difference between coercion and choosing freely - ultimately you still can make a choice, but one is not quite as free as the other.

Furthermore, the restriction about receiving communion applies in the manner according to the Catechism:

“Can. 916 A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass or to receive the Body of the Lord without prior sacramental confession unless a grave reason is present and there is no opportunity of confessing; in this case the person is to be mindful of the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition, including the intention of confessing as soon as possible.”

I don’t suppose being denied Communion once qualifies as a “grave reason.” This is pretty strong language. If you’re concerned about what people think when you don’t go up to Communion, don’t be. If they’re so nosy, they got their own new sinful issue to deal with. Besides, they will likely forget sooner than they forgot the homily 🙂

To rid yourself of the habit of masturbation, you need to find out what’s compelling you to do that in the first place. This will probably require the aid of someone in the psychological field. Basically you need to find a therapist or psychologist who understands theology as well, and have them help you with this. A priest can offer you the forgiveness of the Christ and the Church, but you have to do some work with a psychological professional to understand why you’re subconsciously compelled towards this activity. The sooner you get to this the better, otherwise the behavior becomes more reinforced. As you discover more about yourself during these sessions, you MUST develop a real prayer life - understanding your subconscious (and how it generates certain emotions and desires), asking for grace, and cooperating with it is the only way out of this compulsion.

In the meantime, keep going to confession, develop an honest and relational prayer life, and start reading some St. Ignatius of Loyola about getting in touch with your emotions on a spiritual level. Acknowledging your emotions (as opposed to ignoring them or repressing them), and learning from them is usually a door into a greater sense of self-knowledge.
 
I have a question about masturbation being a mortal sin. What if one did not know that n masturbation was a sin at first but on discovering this did go to confession but did not mention the number of times the sin was committed (because of not being aware of its mortal nature) would this confession be unvalid and the sin still not forgiven?
 
I have a question about masturbation being a mortal sin. What if one did not know that n masturbation was a sin at first but on discovering this did go to confession but did not mention the number of times the sin was committed (because of not being aware of its mortal nature) would this confession be unvalid and the sin still not forgiven?
A sin to be mortal must require intent
1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.”
 
Hello i was struggling with the same question except i am 4 years younger. I was wondering if anyone would agree with this website.

site.themarriagebed.com/sexuality/masturbation-overview/teens-and-masturbation

I am also trying to get rid of this, but since i am younger it gets harder. Even when im already doing something, Some sort of sexual thought comes in my mind and the thoughts are like ninjas! You dont know when they attack, but when they do, it is quick and effective. Effective in the sense that i get this very big sexual arousal and this brings forth more thoughts and they stay there longer. But sometimes it feels like i just can’t take it anymore! I had this feeling for about 1 year and 3 months. For the 1st Month and year, i did it thinking it wasnt wrong, but now i kinda figured it was a sin because i read a lot of posts about ut being bad and for 2 months i struggled to keep away. And i fell alot since. No i did not watch porn, or did it many times a day, so i figured it might be a little easier than those who do watch porn and do it several timas a day. Praying has somewhat helped and i continue to pray regardless of how bad i felt. Sometimes i didnt feel bad, but confused or somewhat guilty. Its still very hard for me to control it, definately not an easy task considering i get turned on a lot due to my hormones and mind. 😊
Im new to this forum so i dont know how to post new threads and stuff, but it does feel somewhat better knowing that i am not the only one.
 
Hello i was struggling with the same question except i am 4 years younger. I was wondering if anyone would agree with this website.

site.themarriagebed.com/sexuality/masturbation-overview/teens-and-masturbation

I am also trying to get rid of this, but since i am younger it gets harder. Even when im already doing something, Some sort of sexual thought comes in my mind and the thoughts are like ninjas! You dont know when they attack, but when they do, it is quick and effective. Effective in the sense that i get this very big sexual arousal and this brings forth more thoughts and they stay there longer. But sometimes it feels like i just can’t take it anymore! I had this feeling for about 1 year and 3 months. For the 1st Month and year, i did it thinking it wasnt wrong, but now i kinda figured it was a sin because i read a lot of posts about ut being bad and for 2 months i struggled to keep away. And i fell alot since. No i did not watch porn, or did it many times a day, so i figured it might be a little easier than those who do watch porn and do it several timas a day. Praying has somewhat helped and i continue to pray regardless of how bad i felt. Sometimes i didnt feel bad, but confused or somewhat guilty. Its still very hard for me to control it, definately not an easy task considering i get turned on a lot due to my hormones and mind. 😊
Im new to this forum so i dont know how to post new threads and stuff, but it does feel somewhat better knowing that i am not the only one.
Try weekly confession 👍
 
A couple of things:
  1. Don’t beat yourself up about this one. Many, many (I can safely say most) people struggle with this.
  2. That being said, don’t give up the fight.
The Catechism points out that masturbation is generically a mortal sin (it is grave matter), but that culpability may be lessened because of the compulsive aspect of this sin (which may lower it to the level of venial sin). It’s like the difference between coercion and choosing freely - ultimately you still can make a choice, but one is not quite as free as the other.

Furthermore, the restriction about receiving communion applies in the manner according to the Catechism:

“Can. 916 A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass or to receive the Body of the Lord without prior sacramental confession unless a grave reason is present and there is no opportunity of confessing; in this case the person is to be mindful of the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition, including the intention of confessing as soon as possible.”

I don’t suppose being denied Communion once qualifies as a “grave reason.” This is pretty strong language. If you’re concerned about what people think when you don’t go up to Communion, don’t be. If they’re so nosy, they got their own new sinful issue to deal with. Besides, they will likely forget sooner than they forgot the homily 🙂

To rid yourself of the habit of masturbation, you need to find out what’s compelling you to do that in the first place. This will probably require the aid of someone in the psychological field. Basically you need to find a therapist or psychologist who understands theology as well, and have them help you with this. A priest can offer you the forgiveness of the Christ and the Church, but you have to do some work with a psychological professional to understand why you’re subconsciously compelled towards this activity.

I think some where pride is present. And more humility is needed when it comes to masterbation. I see a PhD and I don’t see where they think masterbation is a problem anyway to look for a solution. Of course I will go with what the church says myself.

The sooner you get to this the better, otherwise the behavior becomes more reinforced. As you discover more about yourself during these sessions, you MUST develop a real prayer life - understanding your subconscious (and how it generates certain emotions and desires), asking for grace, and cooperating with it is the only way out of this compulsion.

In the meantime, keep going to confession, develop an honest and relational prayer life, and start reading some St. Ignatius of Loyola about getting in touch with your emotions on a spiritual level. Acknowledging your emotions (as opposed to ignoring them or repressing them), and learning from them is usually a door into a greater sense of self-knowledge.
 
40.png
billcu1:
St. Ignatius’s teachings? Any references? Was he a doctor of the church?

Bill
 
St. Ignatius’s teachings? Any references? Was he a doctor of the church?

Bill
It matters not if he was Doctor of the Church for this matter of the spiritual life (he did not contribute some major point to dogmatic/systematic theology).

The important point with St. Ignatius of Loyola is how he integrates the spiritual life with the emotional side of the human person. The Spiritual Exercises are a good path into exploring this. Also, look at some of Fr. Thomthy Gallagher’s stuff, too (he does a lot with St. Ignatius’ spiritual exercises). It is precisely this emotional/spiritual integration which can do much to combat sexual dis-integration. Sexual problems like masturbation, pornography addiction, etc. receive much of their compulsory force from unresolved issues of loneliness, isolation, etc. (on some level). It is by acknowledging the feelings, and bringing the wounds that are source into the life of grace that anyone can hope to overcome the sexual malfunctions in which they result. Masturbation is more of a symptom than the actual issue - you have to get at the root of the problem, and St. Ignatius of Loyola provides the valuable insight that the more you deny the emotional half of the human person, the more problems you will have.

“Jesus wept.” John 11:35

(Oh and it seems that the Catechism reference I made was actually a Canon Law reference, sorry for the confusion).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top