T
teachccd
Guest
Jesus also said if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. How do you type so quickly with one eye and one hand??..teachccd 
Jesus also said if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. How do you type so quickly with one eye and one hand??..teachccdI put my shoes on one at a time, just like everyone else.![]()
I didnât get the point that you were making, so I didnât know what to sayâŚYou didnât actually go out and pluck out your eye and cut off your hand, now did you?? Since you never came back you have me worried. I was only making a pointâŚteachccd
The point is that when Jesus said to âCall no man fatherâ He wasnât speaking literally no more than when He said if your eye causes you to sin pluck it out. It is hyperbole to stress a point. I was saying it in jest and I apologize for the confusionâŚteachccdI didnât get the point that you were making, so I didnât know what to sayâŚ
I think we are lost in squabbling about the words that Jesus used and forget why Jesus actually taught them.Jesus never asked to be called father, they called him master at times but in the end he said that he had taught them everything and he was no longer master, but friend.
Everybody on earth knows that priests are called father.
I called my own father dad which is welch for father. But my dad was actually a father, Jesus wasnât as far as we know, and most catholic priests are not fathers.
I do not have to argue about this issue, I know catholics will argue endlessly about this embarassment. But it is not mine, I am not pretending to be anyones father.
Mat 23:9 And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.You have to understand this background and why Jesus taught that teaching. It was NEVER not to call a person father or master.
You still think you understand what our Lord meant better than His own Apostles? Better than virtually all the Christians who came before you? Chutzpah!Mat 23:9 And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.
Mat 23:10 Neither be called masters, for you have one master, the Christ.
This is the tragedy when you open a book that was written two thousand years ago and start looking at a 21st century dictionary to decipher what it means without knowing the culture, the background, the specific incidents, and why it was written.Mat 23:9 And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.
Mat 23:10 Neither be called masters, for you have one master, the Christ.
I simply quoted the scripture. It seemed that it had been forgotten, among all the wordsâŚYou still think you understand what our Lord meant better than His own Apostles? Better than virtually all the Christians who came before you? Chutzpah!![]()
You have to understand this background and why Jesus taught that teaching. It was NEVER not to call a person father or master.
You made grave error when you quoted my post you omitted the next sentence which I highlighted because that was the key to understand the verses.Mat 23:9 And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.
Mat 23:10 Neither be called masters, for you have one master, the Christ.
You have to understand this background and why Jesus taught that teaching. It was NEVER not to call a person father or master. It only meant never to use them in the context teachers of his day used them with their disciples.
The Fall.Where do you get your Chutzpah from?
:nope:I know where I get mine.![]()
Chutzpah means courage.The Fall.
:nope:
Never say neverâŚYou made grave error when you quoted my post you omitted the next sentence which I highlighted because that was the key to understand the verses.
I think he was speaking literally because he also said it would be better to loose a part of the body than the whole body. So I believe Jesus when he said call no man father for you only have one father in heaven.I didnât get the point that you were making, so I didnât know what to sayâŚ
But you havenât said why you do not agree. Simply saying I do not agree does not win any points.I have heard this argued over and over, and I donât fully agree with the sides of the argument that I have heard. The scriptures say do not tempt God, but I think catholics like to walk on the wild sideâŚ![]()
I love this stuff, the social customs of the day, the economic and political context under which Jesus spoke and what his words meant to those who actually heard him speak. It makes scripture come alive. Thank you!I think we are lost in squabbling about the words that Jesus used and forget why Jesus actually taught them.
You have to know the relationship of the rabbi/seer/master and his pupils. Pupils/disciples were treated like dirt. They were nothing because they have no wisdom. Until they learned from the master they were useless and disrespected. And the master lord it upon them. The disciples were at the mercy of the master; their only aim was to learn and obtain wisdom that the master can only give. Until they had learned enough they could not do nothing but to follow the master. The master exploited this and treated them in the most despicable way that you can imagine.
The disciples may not eat or sit with the master. When they walked in the street they would walked a few paces behind the master because they could never be seen as equal to him.
Thus when Jesus came and introduced a new relationship between pupils and master, it was a revolutionary practice. Jesus not only loved his disciples but he took them as equal and considered them even his friends - an idea that was totally revolting to the teachers of the law then.
This is what Jesus taught - do not lord it over your pupils. He used the word father and master because this was literally what pupils considered their master. The master is a father because he gave them wisdom of life that enable them to live just like what a real father does to his children. He was their master just as master is to a slave. Jesus said NO to all this.
You have to understand this background and why Jesus taught that teaching. It was NEVER not to call a person father or master. It only meant never to use them in the context teachers of his day used them with their disciples.