Matt 7:24-27 / Luke 6:48-49

  • Thread starter Thread starter Trevor_Stamm
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trevor_Stamm

Guest
(Catholics only please)

Need some (name removed by moderator)ut from others about these verses when looking at them in Greek.

(Interlinear of Matt 7:24)

(Interlinear of Matt 7:25)

(Interlinear of Luke 6:48)

Focus is, “the rock” or “tēn petran” (or petra).

Preliminary conclusion is Jesus is speaking of a duality meaning that we should build ourselves upon truths that are dogmatic and ever remaining and not ever changing and progressive like shifting sand that destroy the house or the self. While the second meaning is that we should have faith in the rock that he builds his church upon, Peter and his successors.

Support:
  1. Christ chose this parallel out of any other and it involved the use of, “rock”.
  2. The specific use “the rock” from BOTH writers as to oppose simply building foundation on “rock”. I do not say I will build my house on the concrete; I will build my house on concrete.
  3. Peter is referred to as “the rock”.
Weaknesses:
  1. The use of petran or petra in description of said “rock” instead of the use of Petros.
Questions:
  1. Would the writers use a feminine Greek noun in description of Christ as “the rock”?
  2. Can the use of a feminine be used as an indirect description of Peter and the successors in this context?
Thanks for any help.
 
I believe this was asked on Catholic Answers Live a few days ago, so you could look through those for a more thorough answer, but I believe this is what they said, and I am paraphrasing: Jesus would not have said it in Greek. He most likely spoke Aramaic, which does not have both feminine and masculine forms of the word. It also becomes more complicated with synonyms. To be honest, this is out of my league, so I can’t really explain it any further. I believe Jimmy Akin was the one who explained it on Catholic Answers Live, and he explains it here as well. It is in many parts, but I believe this one will answer your question.
 
  1. Would the writers use a feminine Greek noun in description of Christ as “the rock”?
Yes:

“for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock [petra] was Christ [Christos].” (1 Corinthians 10:4)
  1. Can the use of a feminine be used as an indirect description of Peter and the successors in this context?
Yes:

“And I tell you that you are Peter [Petros], and on this rock [petra] I will build my church” (Matthew 16:18)

God bless.
 
(Catholics only please)
  1. Would the writers use a feminine Greek noun in description of Christ as “the rock”?
  2. Can the use of a feminine be used as an indirect description of Peter and the successors in this context?
    Thanks for any help.
I’m not an expert in Greek, but since the church is referred to as being the bride of Christ, I see it fitting that ‘petra’ and ‘petros’ would be used. (Ephesians 5:22-33, Revelation 21:9-10, 2 Corinthians 11:2)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top