Matthew 11:20-24 - explanation please?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dominikus28
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dominikus28

Guest
Matthew 11:20-24
20 Then began he to upbraid the cities
wherein were done the most of his miracles, for
that they had not done penance.
21 Woe to thee, Corozain, woe to thee, Bethsaida:
for if in Tyre and Sidon had been wrought
the miracles that have been wrought in you,
they had long ago done penance in sackcloth and
ashes.
22 But I say unto you, it shall be more tolerable
for Tyre and Sidon in the day of judgment,
than for you.
23 And thou Capharnaum, shalt thou be exalted
up to heaven? thou shalt go down even
unto hell. For if in Sodom had been wrought the
miracles that have been wrought in thee, perhaps
it had remained unto this day.
24 But I say unto you, that it shall be more
tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of
judgment, than for thee.
What does this mean? Does it mean that Christians will be judged more harshly than Pagans? I don’t know…
 
In short, according to the Collegeville Commentary; Chorazin and Bethsaida did not repent and Capernaum failed to respond adequately, and maintained its “delusions of grandeur” (879). Even more simply, it may mean those of us who do not repent and/or respond adequately to The Word will be held accountable.

Pray unceasingly! Peace,👍
 
Yes, I have wondered about that, too. Specifically, I have wondered if it means that cities have an identity that is not just the sum of the individual identities of the people who happen to be living there at that time. Do cities have guardian angels? If so, as cities grow from just a settlement of one or two families, at what point does it get its own guardian angel?

I am fairly certain that there is no doctrinal teaching on this point, so I am just looking for fruitful speculation.
 
I suspect that the references to cities is something more cultural in nature - specific to the times. Less applicable to today - though not entirely…
In ages past where the primary form of government was either kingly or tribal the leader of a city (or tribe or region) would determine how his subjects are to believe. Thus an entire city might reject Christ because the leader said so…
Another aspect of this that surely is applicable to day is the idea of “crowd mentality” or “group think”. If those with the strongest voices and strongest effect on others support or reject something, then others will follow.

Now - to the comparisons of the towns in the passage, it primarily points to towns who should know enough to accept him but don’t being compared to towns who were “invincibly ignorant” having never heard the word or seen Christ or been part of the old covenant.

That’s how I read it anyway.

Peace
James
 
Matthew 11:20-24

What does this mean? Does it mean that Christians will be judged more harshly than Pagans? I don’t know…
Yes, I think that is what it means. (cf Luke 12:47-48; John 9:41; John 15:22-24)
Here is the footnote from the Haydock Bible (Douay).
Ver. 22. More tolerable, &c. For as the fault of him who never had the truth announced to him, was less than of him who rejected it when offered, so also his punishment would be less. (Menochius)

The Haydock has very good footnotes. It can be accessed here.
haydock1859.tripod.com/
 
Matthew 11:20-24

What does this mean? Does it mean that Christians will be judged more harshly than Pagans? I don’t know…
It seems to mean that those who have heard the Word and rejected it will be judged more harshly than those who had not heard the Word.
 
If I’m not mistaken, Corozain, Bethsaida and Capernaum were Jewish cities while Tyre and Sidon were gentile cities. Jesus’ comment re Tyre and Sidon’s willingness to accept his word points to the gentiles willingness to accept Christ as the messiah while the Jews did not.

I welcome correction.

-Tim-
 
Haydock Commentary

Wo to thee, Corozain, &c. These four verses shew us how dangerous it is to resist the divine graces, and not to make good use of those favourable opportunities which the divine Providence hath placed us in, of working our salvation and of improving ourselves in virtue and sanctity. Wi. — Sack-cloth and ashes, &c. It was the custom for those who were in mourning, to be clothed with sack-cloth, and sit in ashes. M.

More tolerable, &c. For as the fault of him who never had the truth announced to him, was less than of him who rejected it when offered, so also his punishment would be less. M.

So the more you know regarding our faith and reject it the more severely you will be punished. Hang on to your faith and practice and pray.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top