Matthew 16:18

• Thread starter Thread starter MariaG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MariaG

Matthew 16:18 …I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it.

I did not include the first part of the verse because it doesn’t matter whether or not Peter was the head of the church.

Christ said to His apostles that He would build His church and it withstand the gates of Hell. If it is not the Catholic Church that would withstand the gates, where is it?

If the church teaches error, clearly it can not be of God. So IF you believe the church teaches error, show me Christ’s Historical Church. I can show you the good and the bad from the beginning. 200AD, 500AD etc. I contend there may have been bad people in and running the CC but God stood on His promise that His church would withstand the gates of Hell.

If you do not believe the CC has withstood the gates of Hell, show me His historical church. We know it could not have been hidden because God tells us not to hide our light. If you cannot show me Christianity outside the CC, a body of believer, the first thousand years, and you think the CC teaches lies, then the Bible must be wrong.

As a Catholic Christian I believe on the Lord and trust His word. His word says His church will withstand the gates of Hell. Show me another historical church if you think Catholics need wholesale salvation. Otherwise I’ll stand on the Lord’s promises in Matthew 16:18.
God Bless

40.png
MariaG:
Matthew 16:18 …I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it.

I did not include the first part of the verse because it doesn’t matter whether or not Peter was the head of the church.

Christ said to His apostles that He would build His church and it withstand the gates of Hell. If it is not the Catholic Church that would withstand the gates, where is it?

If the church teaches error, clearly it can not be of God. So IF you believe the church teaches error, show me Christ’s Historical Church. I can show you the good and the bad from the beginning. 200AD, 500AD etc. I contend there may have been bad people in and running the CC but God stood on His promise that His church would withstand the gates of Hell.

If you do not believe the CC has withstood the gates of Hell, show me His historical church. We know it could not have been hidden because God tells us not to hide our light. If you cannot show me Christianity outside the CC, a body of believer, the first thousand years, and you think the CC teaches lies, then the Bible must be wrong.

As a Catholic Christian I believe on the Lord and trust His word. His word says His church will withstand the gates of Hell. Show me another historical church if you think Catholics need wholesale salvation. Otherwise I’ll stand on the Lord’s promises in Matthew 16:18.
God Bless
Good Day, Maria

Just a question if I may. When with in the setting of a battle or a war are gates seen as an offensive power, are not gates allways used as a defensive posture?

Peace to u,

BBAS

I am not sure what you are getting at or how it relates to my question. Could you expand a bit?

I think what he is asking is, what do you think that the Gates of Hades stand for. Gates are not really meant to attack with are they? They are usually meant to do two things, keep people out or to keep people in. Think on that for a little bit and then reconsider the significance of the verse. Think of what Jesus did after his death.

Second what is Hades? Do you think that it is holding a bunch of daemons or Satan? Grab a concordance and study all of the uses of Hades in the bible. Then write back and tell us what Hades means in the verse. Look up the entomology of the word Hell and study its significance along with Gahenna and Sheol.

40.png
MariaG:
I am not sure what you are getting at or how it relates to my question. Could you expand a bit?
Maria, Sorry I was so vague here got called out. Shibboleth has expanded to cover my first thoughts.

Thanks Shibboleth:)

Peace to u,

BBAS

Well, I don’t think there is a difference whether the Church is defending or attacking. Either way they would have to have truth and righteousness on their side. Yes, Christ overcame death. My point is Christ promises are about His Church. If the Catholic church teaches the lies that many are claiming it does, then how can we trust anything in the Bible including the belief that Christ conquered death? My question would still be the same, Christ makes promises about His church, if it is not the CC where is the Historical church of Christ? Where is the body of believers if they are not in the CC?

40.png
MariaG:
Well, I don’t think there is a difference whether the Church is defending or attacking. Either way they would have to have truth and righteousness on their side. Yes, Christ overcame death. My point is Christ promises are about His Church. If the Catholic church teaches the lies that many are claiming it does, then how can we trust anything in the Bible including the belief that Christ conquered death? My question would still be the same, Christ makes promises about His church, if it is not the CC where is the Historical church of Christ? Where is the body of believers if they are not in the CC?
Maria ,

Sorry you can not see the diffence. The image used here in the context is that of a battle. With in the context of a battle there is an agressor and a defender that is important to the understanding of the text. If one is unable to undesatand the images or the lanuage used by the writter, then all conclusions reached by the reader are in error.

Word and images lose thier meanings and all comunication is lost between the writer and the reader. The reader has no idea of what is being spoken of, thus misses the point. With out the understanding of the foundation of the written words, the reader can not understand the point of the writer.

Peace to u,
BBAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back