Matthew 24:24

  • Thread starter Thread starter exiled
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

exiled

Guest
What does Matthew mean when he says, “False messiahs and false prophets will arise, …to deceive, if that were possible, even the elect”
What does the “if that were possible” part mean? We can all be lured into erroneous doctrine, which is why we have the authoritative church to guide us.
Who are the “elect” according to Catholic teaching?
 
What does Matthew mean when he says, “False messiahs and false prophets will arise, …to deceive, if that were possible, even the elect”
What does the “if that were possible” part mean? We can all be lured into erroneous doctrine, which is why we have the authoritative church to guide us.
Who are the “elect” according to Catholic teaching?
The NAB states:
"False messiahs and false prophets will arise, and they will perform signs and wonders so great as to deceive, if that were possible, even the elect."
This means that they will attempt to deceive. Some will fall for it and some won’t.
As for the elect - NONE of us can come to God without grace.
John 6:44 clearly states:

"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day."


 
But how does the “if it were possible” reconcile with some actually falling for the false teaching? We see from many other NT letters that brethern did fall away, so I guess it must mean something else?
That’s what I’m trying to figure out.
 
But how does the “if it were possible” reconcile with some actually falling for the false teaching? We see from many other NT letters that brethern did fall away, so I guess it must mean something else?
That’s what I’m trying to figure out.
Hi,
Im not 100% sure ,but it could mean that the elect are the people who truly believe in Christ(Have the Holy Spirit in them)and because they have the Spirit, they cannot be deceived because God will not allow it. I will see what my commentary says.😃 My commentary and study bible say nothing about your specific question. It justs says it is a warning not to believe the info. about the Messiah being here on earth. So, mine was just a guess:o
 
But how does the “if it were possible” reconcile with some actually falling for the false teaching? We see from many other NT letters that brethern did fall away, so I guess it must mean something else?
That’s what I’m trying to figure out.
Those that “fall away” were never believers on Jesus Christ. They may have acted like a Christian, but never had faith on Jesus Christ alone.
Joh 10:27 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;
Joh 10:28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.
 
What does Matthew mean when he says, “False messiahs and false prophets will arise, …to deceive, if that were possible, even the elect”
What does the “if that were possible” part mean? We can all be lured into erroneous doctrine, which is why we have the authoritative church to guide us.
Who are the “elect” according to Catholic teaching?
Well dictionary.com defines “elect”, in regards to theology as “a person or persons chosen by God, esp. for favor or salvation”.
So I guess what Matthew is saying is that even those that seem to be the closest God are “under fire” when it comes to Satan and his wickedness. No one is safe. Even Jesus Himself was tempted by Satan. :eek:
 
It means : not easy to deceive the elect. The elect means those who believe.
 
If you look at men like Martin Luther, who was an Augustinian monk or Zwingli who was ordained a Catholic priest and later created their own religions, I think they fit the description in Matthew well.
 
Is it saying that it is not possible to deceive the elect, though? Does this speak to predestination? Or does this mean we cannot be deceived, meaning we know the Truth and it’s always with us, YET it does not say we cannot reject that Truth.
I’m a committed Catholic, and I don’t think Satan could ever “trick” me out of this Truth, but he can tempt me to fall away from the Truth.
Is there
 
Here’s the Douay version, which is slightly different in structure:

For there shall arise false Christs and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders, insomuch as to deceive (if possible) even the elect.

I can’t speak for Catholic teaching, but it seems to me that the “elect” are merely Christians, those who are members of Christ’s Church, those “called out”.

These false prophets and false Christs will perform many signs and wonders with the purpose, if possible, of deceiving the elect.

We of course know it is possible to deceive even the elect.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top