May I attend an SSPX wedding?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hawkeye916
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many marriages performed at SSPX have been declared null and void by a Catholic tribunal?
I admittedly don’t have a number. I didn’t ask for one, especially since I spoke to only one canonist of one diocese. I imagine it would vary by diocese either way. But the fact it was mentioned to me as a problem is concerning enough.
 
Last edited:
Because religious orders don’t get themselves into the predicament the SSPX are in.
bringing us back to the Jesuits, who have managed to go more than a century (and counting) without the entire order being suspended 🤣😱😲
 
40.png
Fauken:
Because religious orders don’t get themselves into the predicament the SSPX are in.
Yes, if the SSPX keep on this self-destructive path, soon they might even be endorsing Paganism. Let’s just pray that never happens.
The huge acts of imprudence going on in Rome now far outweigh this discussion.

If the SSPX priest is locally known as an extremist, it would be imprudent to attend. Otherwise it’s likely harmless.
 
Last edited:
I believe that in the Diocese of Lincoln, membership in the SSPX
It’s actually hard to understand what that means. The SSPX has no lay members and the priests don’t live in Nebraska (never have).
  • Unlike many other religious orders staffing churches, the SSPX live in priories and travel to their chapels for a few days a week (typically Thursday/Friday through Sunday), but live the rest of the week at their priory, in common with other SSPX priests.
NOTE: I’m not a supporter of the SSPX. I’m just trying to be fair.
 
Last edited:
Because religious orders don’t get themselves into the predicament the SSPX are in. Religious orders answer to both their superiors and the local bishop. The SSPX have their own bishops that they seem to answer to, and from what I gathered during that conversation in question, have not been doing so with the local ordinary.
I just re-read this and I have to answer for the benefit of others

DISCLAIMER - I am NOT a supporter of the SSPX. I only believe in trying to be fair.

What you write here is both true & false at the same time.

There are PLENTY of religious orders (or local convents/monetaries) who get in trouble with Rome and/or their local bishop from time to time.

The Jesuits got in trouble with the Archbishop of Indianapolis over a Jesuit high school. In this case the Jesuits refused to listen to the local archbishop. So the archbishop removed the high school from the Catholic Directory (removing it’s recognition). Now the Jesuits have appealed to Rome saying the Archbishop did not have the authority to interfere. Now, there will be in inquiry/trial/whatever.

There are religious orders living in some dioceses, but cannot minister to the people because of disagreements with the local bishop.

What makes the SSPX different is they are more like a Personal Ordinariate then a typical religious order - because they have their own bishops.

Now, I pray they fix their issues and one day reunite with Rome. I don’t think it is a sure thing, but I do pray for it.

God bless
 
Last edited:
I believe that in the Diocese of Lincoln, membership in the SSPX
If memory serves me correctly (an increasingly dicey proposition these days), in the spring of 1996, it was announced that Call to Action was forming a chapter in Nebraska. At roughly the same time, an SSPX Mass was being celebrated in the chapel of a publicly-owned cemetery in Lincoln. Bishop Bruskewitz issued the legislation that forbade Catholics in the Diocese of Lincoln to be members of either group (along with Freemasons and the Hemlock Society). I don’t know the particulars of what qualified as “membership” in those organizations under the Bishop’s legislation. The effect, however, was that the SSPX Mass in Lincoln disappeared fairly quickly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top