McCartney Family in the USA

• Thread starter Thread starter FightingFat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
FightingFat:
Has a link been established between SF & The IRA? Has a link been established between The IRA & Crime? How do the American people view the Republicans now?
I think that for most Americans, especially those with 3rd, 4th or more generation Irish, there would be surprized that the first two issues are even being debated. I think that most people would answer the first two questions as “Of, course!” with a puzzled look on their faces. :confused:

As for how the American people view the Rebublicans. Now you have me with the puzzled look. What, if anything, does this have to do with US party politics? All of our modern-time presidents, regardless of party, have had a love-hate relationship with the SF and the IRA and it has more to do with the history of the US and “England” than any Democrat/Republican ideology.

40.png
kmktexas:
As for how the American people view the Rebublicans. Now you have me with the puzzled look. What, if anything, does this have to do with US party politics? All of our modern-time presidents, regardless of party, have had a love-hate relationship with the SF and the IRA and it has more to do with the history of the US and “England” than any Democrat/Republican ideology.
I think he was talking about the IRA when he said Republicans

40.png
gilliam:
I think he was talking about the IRA when he said Republicans
LOL! In conversations on some UK boards, I learned that a Republican in the U.K. is a person who wants to abolish the monarchy, allowing Mrs. Elizabeth Windsor and her family to become ordinary citizens, and to make the UK a Republic.

Reminds me of an American couple living in London who were put under investigation by the British authorities because they received mail from the U.S. that mentioned IRA on the envelope. It was about the couple’s Individual Retirement Account. The Limeys naturally assumed it was from the Irish Republican Army!

40.png
FightingFat:
As the McCartney family visit America and President Bush, and Gerry Adams is snubbed by the Whitehouse I wondered if board members think SF is being marginalised? Has a link been established between SF & The IRA? Has a link been established between The IRA & Crime? How do the American people view the Republicans now?
**As someone has said, our relationship to SF/IRA can be described as “love/hate.” For me, I love the concept of a free and united Ireland, but hate the idea of the kind of saecular state SF/IRA has indicated they’d like to bring about. Many Irish-Americans are simply unaware of the saecular side of SF. If some of them were, they’d be less supportive. **

I think 9/11 has changed the view radically of the IRA in the eyes of Irish America. Traditionally, places in the U.S. with a high Irish population have been hotbeds of sympathy for the IRA.

I am a former resident of Dayton, Ohio, a town with a vibrant Irish community. A pub I used to frequent when I lived there (just a “salt of the earth” sort of local place, owned by a local Irish-American family) had on the wall a number of Irish items, pictures, artifacts, etc. Prominently on the wall when you walked in though, were two pictures that always showed where these people stood: One was a picture of Pope John Paul II, and next to that was a picture of Gerry Adams. About four weeks after 9/11, I visited the place after having been away for many weeks, formerly having been a regular there. I said nothing about it but I took quiet note of the fact that the Holy Father’s picture was still there. There was a conspicuous absence of any image of Mr. Adams, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back