Me and Theology: Is this correction information?

  • Thread starter Thread starter followingtheway
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

followingtheway

Guest
Hello everyone. When I became more educated with my Catholic faith and what it teaches, I have grown to understand theology a certain way and I want to know if I’m correct on these Catholic theological points.


  1. *]Unlike a couple of some Christians, according to Church teaching, when somone died, only God knows where they went to, whether it be Heaven, Purgatory, or Hell. The only expection to this rule are saints beatified/canonized by the Catholic Church. These are the only people we know are in Heaven besides Jesus, because the Church has done a full evaluation on their life, but the Church has never pointed to someone and said this person’s in Hell.
    *]Regardless of who dies. We commend all souls to God’s mercy. Since, we don’t know who’s going to Heaven, Hell, or Purgatory, saying “this person’s in a better place” is inappropriate, because we don’t where that person is, so the most we can do is pray for them.
    *]Because of the two above points. We don’t know where unbaptized infants, Non-Catholics, or suicide victims go when they die. Saying they’re going to Hell or Heaven is “playing God.”
    *]Limbo doesn’t exist
    *]The Catholic Church and the Pope opposes the death penalty
    *]The Church is open to science and therefore Catholics are free to believe in evolution, the big bang etc.
    *]Catholics can celebrate Halloween
    *]Catholics can read “Harry Potter.”
    *]Regardless of the Church’s teachings on homosexuality, God doesn’t hate gays and we’re not supposed to either. Kids bullying gays is wrong, kids bullying anyone is wrong. Using slurs towards homosexuals is wrong. (I’m not pushing any motive with this one, I just want some insight because I have seen some dissent on this subject.)
    *]The Catholic Church teaches “being gay isn’t wrong, acting on it is” which is contrast to Christian denominations who call homosexuality “a choice and curable”
    *]When it comes to the subject of people wearing a rosary around the neck, it used to be taboo, but now it depends on why you wear it.
    *]Sex inside marriage, whatever it may be, is okay

    So is this information correct?
 
The list looks quite accurate…except for the last one - number
12. Sex inside marriage, whatever it may be, is okay.
Some sex acts are wrong even within marriage.

Peace
James
 
You’re mostly spot on, but as far as I know unbaptized infants will go to heaven, since they haven’t committed any personal sins. Also, the CC doesn’t specifically oppose the death penalty, but rather says it’s only for when we have no other suitable course of action (ie. someone’s a known murderer and we don’t have any jails that could hold him - you can see that that’s not likely to happen nowadays).
I’m not sure about the rosary, I know I certainly wouldn’t, but maybe someone else can take a look at that.
Sex inside marriage isn’t always an objective good. Just because people are married doesn’t mean they won’t dream up things to do which are offensive to God. Also using contraception in marriage is sinful, but you probably know that one already.
God bless. 🙂
 
The list looks quite accurate…except for the last one - number
12. Sex inside marriage, whatever it may be, is okay.
Some sex acts are wrong even within marriage.

Peace
James
+1
 
I think that you are generally correct, with the following exceptions:

The Church does not say definitively that Limbo does or does not exist.

The Church does not oppose the death penalty in every possible case. It may be correct that the current Pope, Francis, does.

The Church does not use the term “gay” to refer to homosexuality.

Some sexual acts within marriage may be sinful.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top