Meaning of the ECF numbers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Montie_Claunch
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Montie_Claunch

Guest
I was wondering if anyone knew what the various numbers meant in the ECFs ? For Example Justin Martyr “We will prove that we worship him reasonably;… of the mystery which lies therein” (First Apology 13:5–6 [A.D. 151]). I Have a Set of the Ante-Nicene Fathers and I can’t find the quotes. What does the 5-6 stand for? I assume the 13 stands for Chapter, Correct? If ya’ll could help me with this? Thanks and God bless.
 
I was wondering if anyone knew what the various numbers meant in the ECFs ? For Example Justin Martyr “We will prove that we worship him reasonably;… of the mystery which lies therein” (First Apology 13:5–6 [A.D. 151]). I Have a Set of the Ante-Nicene Fathers and I can’t find the quotes. What does the 5-6 stand for? I assume the 13 stands for Chapter, Correct?
You’re correct about the 13 standing for the chapter. It seems like the 5-6 would apply to numbering given to the verses. However, my copy of this work doesn’t include such numbering and neither does the copy on the New Advent website - www.newadvent.org/fathers/0126.htm

One thing I noticed is that the quote in your post differs from the two sources I mentioned. (Mine reads: "…and that we reasonably worship Him…; for they do not discern the mystery that is herein,…) Perhaps the translation which was the source for your quote does include verse numbering.

Nita
 
This is from the source I use. No numbering other than the chapters.

Chapter XIII.-Christians Serve God Rationally.

What sober-minded man, then, will not acknowledge that we are not atheists, worshipping as we do the Maker of this universe, and declaring, as we have been taught, that He has no need of streams of blood and libations and incense; whom we praise to the utmost of our power by the exercise of prayer and thanksgiving for all things wherewith we are supplied, as we have been taught that the only honour that is worthy of Him is not to consume by fire what He has brought into being for our sustenance, but to use it for ourselves and those who need, and with gratitude to Him to offer thanks by invocations and hymns15 for our creation, and for all the means of health, and for the various qualities of the different kinds of things, and for the changes of the seasons; and to present before Him petitions for our existing again in incorruption through faith in Him. Our teacher of these things is Jesus Christ, who also was born for this purpose, and was crucified under Pontius Pilate, procurator of Judaea, in the times of Tiberius Caesar; and that we reasonably worship Him, having learned that He is the Son of the true God Himself, and holding Him in the second place, and the prophetic Spirit in the third, we will prove. For they proclaim our madness to consist in this, that we give to a crucified man a place second to the unchangeable and eternal God, the Creator of all; for they do not discern the mystery that is herein, to which, as we make it plain to you, we pray you to give heed.
 
Might be paragraphs, as oftentimes those are listed rather than “verses”. That is how folks usually cite Papal documents, for example.

Peace and God bless!
 
Might be paragraphs, as oftentimes those are listed rather than “verses”. That is how folks usually cite Papal documents, for example.

Peace and God bless!
Trouble is, there’s only one paragraph in Chapter 13.

Nita
 
No idea then! 😛

I usually only pay attention to the Chapter and then read from there, since context is usually critical anyway. I’ve never really even noticed the other numbers :o

Peace and God bless!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top