Difficult is not impossible - especially when the incentives are so great.
Well studies in the US have shown payouts relate to the outcome for a patient rather than whether there has been any negligence - in other words motivated by sympathy.
You **cannot **show by medical tests how much pain someone is suffering.
I have seen a few frivolous claims, and because there’s so many of them the costs mount up.
Breast implant litigation ring a bell? Look at all the parents who claimed millions for injuries supposedly caused by birth accidents before medical science demonstrated that the lesions occurred in utero.
Naturally you want to believe that the law is a force for good, but I feel you’re a touch naieve. In the UK, it’s been found that IIRC half the payouts for medical negligence go to the lawyers. It’s a gravy train for lawyers.
You’re free to disagree, but to call me (a bit) naieve? I’ve spent months researching these particular issues… how many papers have you written on the subject? Actually, I don’t care, because its completely irrelevant. Talk about my arguments, not me.
Yes, there are a wide array of medical tests that can show tissue damage, such damage which will necessarily cause physical pain. Further, there are ways to show that pain is
actually being felt. I just sat in on legislative hearings where a pain specialist testified the various ways he can show that fetuses experience pain in the womb–not just injury to tissue, but actual pain even in the absence of injury. You are dead wrong on this issue, and I’d be happy to direct you to the legislative testimony to the effect.
What’s your point about half the payouts going to lawyers? I don’t see where you get that 50% goes to attorneys, but I don’t know what contingency the attorneys in your country charge, but here its typically 33%. I’ve no doubt 33% (or as much as 40%) of all medmal payouts go to attorneys, and often as little as 10-15% goes to victims (after expert witness expenses, etc). But this isn’t affected by frivolous claims, and it applies to nearly all kinds of lawsuits. Lawyers cost a lot, that’s the way life is.
I’d like to raise another point. Studies have shown that less than 1% of all medical incidents wind up in any action taken against the doctor. There is a mountain of evidence that far more valid claims go unasserted than are ever raised. I’ve personally seen this to be true in non-medical cases, and we have turned away a dozen clients in the last year with real damages but with some insurmountable difficulty, such as the typical case where the expert witness would cost as much as the recovery. So, while you continue on about these poor doctors and insurers being subject to all kinds of litigation, I say that they are likely not paying nearly as much as they ought. Negligence–not just mistakes, but actual negligence–kills, by many estimates, up to 100,000 people every year in the US alone (I can provide citations for that if you wish). That does not include the many more who experience life-long disability, or those with very significant and lasting pain and suffering. The amount paid every year in medmal, if it was divided by those numbers, would start to seem pretty small. The downside to medical litigation is not that malpractice carriers are paying so much, but that they’re paying so much to the wrong people. If true justice were done, they would likely pay far, far more. So any arguments about the overall cost of medical malpractice litigation seem pretty hard to swallow.