Mein Kampf A Best Seller in Turkey

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

Eighty years after Adolf Hitler published his autobiographical manifesto, ‘Mein Kampf,’ the book that launched European Nazism, is climbing the best-seller charts in Muslim Turkey.

Since publication in January, the book has risen to number four on the best-seller list of the D&R bookstore chain, selling over 50,000 copies.

While most Turkish publishers of ‘Mein Kampf’ say they are merely pursuing the profit motive, others admit that anti-Semitic and anti-American feelings are fueling demand.

Sami Kilic, owner of the Emre publishing house, has sold 26,000 copies of the book from a printing of 31,000 in January. “Mostly young people” are reading it, he says.

Turkey’s bid to join the European Union, rising anti-Americanism over the war in Iraq and hostility towards Israel over perceived treatment of Palestinians have made readers curious about Hitler’s work, Kilic notes. “The times we live in have a definite impact on sales. It is an astonishing phenomenon,” he told Germany’s Deutsche Welle.

worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43380

Well, it must translate better into the Turkish language than it did into English. It’s awful writing in form as well as content, and some German friends have told me that it’s a turgid read in German, too.

Still, it is a bit disturbing. Reading it as an historical item and artifact is one thing, but if it’s being read for content … . Ottoman invasions again?

Blessings,

Gerry

Gerry Hunter:
Well, it must translate better into the Turkish language than it did into English. It’s awful writing in form as well as content, and some German friends have told me that it’s a turgid read in German, too.

Still, it is a bit disturbing. Reading it as an historical item and artifact is one thing, but if it’s being read for content … . Ottoman invasions again?
That’s what is so disturbing: note the article says the reasons are the rising anti-Israeli and anti-American feelings – one wonders who is “feeding” them.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
That’s what is so disturbing: note the article says the reasons are the rising anti-Israeli and anti-American feelings – one wonders who is “feeding” them.
The same one who fed Hitler to begin with - our advisary.

Considering the ties that current militant islam has to Nazi Germany, I do not consider this supprising at all.

Why do I say this, just read chapter 7 of Salvation is from the Jews by Roy Schoeman.

PF

I don’t know why Mein Kampf (My Struggle) would be a best seller in Turkey. It is poorly written and internally incoherent.

The book contains no intellectual paradigm or political blueprints for a new nation or philosophy, it is essentially a scathing rant by a high school educated working class psychopath.

Adolf Hitler and Rudolf Hess were both serving time in Landsburg am Lech prison for sedition when it was determined to be politically expediant to write a book while incarcerated. A similar political formula was followed by Martin Luther King writing his screed Letters from a Birmingham Jail, Hitler wanted to make himself a martyr and both Hess & Hitler wrote while incarcerated a mediocre work of hate filled nonsense to make the best of a bad situation. [Please note: Letters from a Birmingham Jail is also a hate filled polemic.]

There are two verions of Mein Kampf out in print, the so-called ‘official’ version we used in our History class at UMass, and another published by neo-Nazis.

It is probably just as well as the Turks are reading Mein Kampf since they’ll realize they’ve wasted their time and money on a piece of dross.

Kevin Walker:
I don’t know why Mein Kampf (My Struggle) would be a best seller in Turkey. It is poorly written and internally incoherent.
Please recollect some of the presidential campaign rhetoric and tell me that it matters — as Barnum once said, there is sucker born every minute.

40.png
WanderAimlessly:
Considering the ties that current militant islam has to Nazi Germany, I do not consider this supprising at all.

Why do I say this, just read chapter 7 of Salvation is from the Jews by Roy Schoeman.

PF
Considering Turkey’s past history during both world wars (1 and 2) being on the wrong side both times, I suspect there is much of it that took root in some places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back