Memorial acclamation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Don9of11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don9of11

Guest
Today the choir sang the following memorial acclamation:

Keep in mind that Jesus Christ has died for us and is risen from the dead. He is our saving Lord, he is joy for all ages.

Is this an approved acclamation by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops?
 
Today the choir sang the following memorial acclamation:

Keep in mind that Jesus Christ has died for us and is risen from the dead. He is our saving Lord, he is joy for all ages.

Is this an approved acclamation by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops?
No.

The approved Memorial Accimations are:
A - Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.
or B - Dying you destroyed our death, rising you restored our life. Lord Jesus, come in glory.
or C - When we eat this bread and drink this cup, we proclaim your death, Lord Jesus, until you come in glory.
or D - Lord, by your cross and resurrection, you have set us free. You are the Savior of the World.
Option A is not included in the new translation so there will be only three options starting with Advent 2011.
 
No.

The approved Memorial Accimations are:

Option A is not included in the new translation so there will be only three options starting with Advent 2011.
Actually, option B is also not included. Options A & B are replaced with a direct translation of “Morte tuum.”

We proclaim your Death, O Lord,
and profess your Resurrection
until you come again
 
Actually, option B is also not included. Options A & B are replaced with a direct translation of “Morte tuum.”

We proclaim your Death, O Lord,
and profess your Resurrection
until you come again
True. I only meant that there will only be three options rather than four with the new translation.
 
I recall from long ago the acclamation in the OP. Was that approved in the past?
 
I don’t believe so. Some composer just worked up the gall to take it upon himself to change the words of the Mass.
I guess I should note that it may not have been written as a memorial acclamation, and then it would be the parish music director’s fault. I don’t know what it was intended to be used for, but I should have said that before.
 
=Don9of11;7669233]Today the choir sang the following memorial acclamation:
Keep in mind that Jesus Christ has died for us and is risen from the dead. He is our saving Lord, he is joy for all ages.
Is this an approved acclamation by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops?
YES; but don’t be surprised if it is changed when Advent starts the Mandatory use of the New Roman Missal.

God Bless,
Pat
 
I guess I should note that it may not have been written as a memorial acclamation, and then it would be the parish music director’s fault. I don’t know what it was intended to be used for, but I should have said that before.
It has a bunch of verses, but it was very common years ago for just the refrain to be used as a memorial acclamation. That was many years before *Redemptionis Sacramentum *made it clear these things were not to be messed with.
 
I guess I should note that it may not have been written as a memorial acclamation, and then it would be the parish music director’s fault. I don’t know what it was intended to be used for, but I should have said that before.
They are actually the words to a very pleasant hymn that I have heard sung during Lent - even at Stations of the Cross. It’s just not supposed to be used for the Memorial Acclamation.

Here’s a link to a blog that talks about the song. The blog was written when the composor died in 2007. Interestingly, it mentions that the song was sometimes used as a Memorial Acclamation but then calls that a “no no”. 😉

dsjliturgy.blogspot.com/2007/10/keep-in-mind-rev-lucien-deiss-cssp-1921.html
 
Unfortunately, tampering with the Memorial Acclamation seems to be alive and well in both English and French Masses. I’ve experienced it at the last 3 Sunday Masses and the Ash Wednesday Mass I’ve attended while visiting my daughter. One version they sing in her parish and which I remembered singing in the last French Catholic Community I was part of is Christ est venu and translates as this:

Christ came
Christ was born
Christ suffered
Christ died
Christ is risen
Christ is alive
Christ will return
Christ is here

The one they sang yesterday Jesus, Messie humilié translates as
Jesus, humiliated Messiah, we recall your death on a cross AMEN!
Jesus, victorious Messiah, we celebrate your resurrection from the dead. AMEN!
Jesus, triumphant Messiah, we call for the day of your coming in glory. AMEN!
 
I actually like the melody from “Keep in mind…” I had no idea it wasn’t approved.
 
I honestly think this problem could be remedied by cutting out all the options, and giving one text for the mystery of faith (as it will be called, come Nov). I know there are different options in the latin, but I think even them should be taken out. Having all the different choices gives people the idea of making up their own.
 
YES; but don’t be surprised if it is changed when Advent starts the Mandatory use of the New Roman Missal.

God Bless,
Pat
This is not an approved Memorial Acclamation. Only what is found in the Roman Missal is to be used. Furthermore, Sacrosanctum Concilium specifically states that no one, not even the celebrant, is allowed to make changes to the Mass on his own authority.
 
I actually like the melody from “Keep in mind…” I had no idea it wasn’t approved.
Even when I was young I felt that this did not fit well as a memorial acclamation. Musically the warm, happy organ and vocals are a jarring contrast after the priest solemnly chants the “Let us proclaim…” Textually, the phrase “keep in mind” rubs me the wrong way: “Attention, congregation members whose minds are wandering - here’s a point to ponder…” At the time I also thought it was long-winded compared to the other options, except for “Lord, by your cross…” which was never used in my parish.

Now, though, I am fond of the melody like you, probably because it’s so familiar.
 
Not recently, but at least one music publisher listed it among the memorial acclamations back in the 1970’s in their song books. I don’t remember which one because it was so long ago. But they listed the four which we are used to seeing in the current missal as A through D and added this one as E.

That’s probably where some people got the idea that it was ok. Many people don’t realize that OCP, GIA, and the like are independent publishers. Just because a parish priest or choir director may like something and can find it in a song book doesn’t mean it’s automatically ok for liturgical use.
 
Thanks everyone for your replies. I contacted the Cleveland Diocese Office for Worship and they confirmed that this is not an approved acclamation. 🙂
*You are correct that “Keep in mind. . .” is not one of the four approved acclamations of the Mystery of Faith.
You can see the approved ones, and those that will be acceptable as of 11/27/11 here:
It would be appropriate for you to speak with the music director at your parish concerning this matter.
Christina Ronzio
Director,
Office for Worship
Diocese of Cleveland
1404 East 9th St. - 6th Floor
Cleveland, OH 44114
 
This is not an approved Memorial Acclamation. Only what is found in the Roman Missal is to be used. Furthermore, Sacrosanctum Concilium specifically states that no one, not even the celebrant, is allowed to make changes to the Mass on his own authority.
I think though in some cases that many celebrants are relying on music directors or choir directors to be doing things in accord with church documents.:rolleyes: I don’t advocate what celebrants, choir and music directors do when they permit things or change things. With Advent the new roman missal comes into play and now is the time to also correct a great many bad behaviors ~ carpe diem.
 
I think though in some cases that many celebrants are relying on music directors or choir directors to be doing things in accord with church documents.:rolleyes: I don’t advocate what celebrants, choir and music directors do when they permit things or change things. With Advent the new roman missal comes into play and now is the time to also correct a great many bad behaviors ~ carpe diem.
The problem I’ve noticed in my parish is that the choir is non-trained, their leader has no liturgical background, she was simply a teacher in a Catholic School. We’ve offered to send her and at least one other member, all expenses paid, for courses for 2 weeks in the summer but they refuse the offer. They feel that since they are volunteers they should be able to just continue as they are. They are not in the least open to reading documents, be it the GIRM, CSL, or anything else. Mention that something is not appropriate or approved and the response is invariably, “I’m sure God doesn’t mind.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top